Second thoughts on Ruger SP101

Doc,

Re: "Just one question for all three of you though. Why refer to a 4" GP-100 as a KGP-141 or what ever rather than just saying "4 inch GP-100?":

Because KGP-141 tells more than only that the gun is "a 4 inch GP-100". It tells that it is stainless steel, rather than blued; it tells that it has a full underlug, rather than partial/short underlug; it tells that it has adjustable sights, rather than fixed sights - in addition to the fact that it has a four inch barrel, rather than a 3 or 6 inch barrel.

There is a specific communicable meaning in every letter and every number in KGP-141. It is simply an abbreviated way to communicate a lot of information in 3 letters and 3 numbers.

Rugers: Learn 'um and love 'um! :) .

Well I have to throw one fly into the Ruger ointment.
I would suggest that you look at / for a USED S&W model 36 chiefs special in .38 spl. I recently aquired one made in 1974 Used LNB with a manual and the cleaning kit for $220.
One year ago I traded for a new SP101 2.25" and it is significantly heavier and harder to carry than the J frame Smith. The smith will very accurately shoot .38 +P hydra-Shoks and it also likes my 158gr. reloads. I put a uncle mikes boot grip on it and that makes it point much better than the Sp101. The Smith has better balance and is easier to carry, it also points better than the Sp101, but the sp101 soaks up the recoil a bit better and can shoot .357.
I just tend to like carring the smith better cause it seems to disapear where as I KNOW Im carrying the Sp101 all the time.,

For me, it is not *either* a Ruger SP 101 .357 *or* an S&W J-frame .38. I intend to carry both: the 25 oz. Ruger in a high ride belt holster, or in a heavy duty vest pocket; and the 10.8 oz. 342PD, or the 15 oz. 442 S&W J-frame (still debating in my own mind which - advice welcome!) in the right front pants pocket. I do not see these gun as competing in the same league, because of the differences in weight and caliber (.357/.38) options. And I do not mind KNOWING that I am carrying; just so long as no one else does :) .

Back