Second thoughts on Ruger SP101

Claywms

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question. Yesterday I put some money down on a stainless SP101 .357, the bobbed hammer double-action-only variety with a 2" barrel. Now, after doing a little more homework and rummaging through old posts on TFL and RugerForum, I see that most people think the GP100 is the better gun. My question is - is the SP101 just as tough as the GP100? Will it handle lots of shooting with hot 357 loads? My reason for buying the SP101 is home defense and a little bit of range work. Thos of you who have an SP101 in 357 mag, how is it holding up?

Thanks.

Clay,

For general shooting and home defense, I'd go with the GP-100 or an S&W M-686 either with a 4" barrel.

Snubbies like the SP-101 and S&W J-frames are not as much fun to take plinking as the four inch barreled medium and medium-large frame guns such as the GP-100, or the M-19 & M-686 S&W's.

The SP-101 will be easier to carry concealed when you are lightly dressed, but that is the only advantage over the GP-100.

Doc Hudson

My first and only (so far) handgun is a Ruger KGP-141, with which I am totally satisfied - except for just one thing: It is a bit big and heavy for an always, or even almost always, carry gun (I will have a CCW permit as soon as the paper work is processed; at the time I bought the KGP-141, it was intended for HD rather than CCW; I did not anticipate that I would ever get a CCW permit). Today I went to a gunshop just to handle a KSP-321XL, which I am confident will be my next gun purchase. If I had a chance to start all over again, my first gun would be the KSP-321XL. As wonderful as the KGP-141 is, I think it is destined to spend most of the rest of my life hanging in my gun safe. It served a purpose quite well in that it was so, so easy to qualify for the CCW firing range tests, with Ashley Outdoors combat sights on the KGP-141, and a week of daily dry-firing prior to the CCW course (when the instructor saw 99 of 100 shots tightly grouped around the X's on the silhouttes, he remained unconvinced when informed that I am not an experienced shooter). Come to think of it, the reason I got my particular KGP-141 was that the original owner had both the KGP-141 and the KSP-321XL, and found that the KGP-141 was just "gathering dust", while the KSP-321XL was being carried regularly. But I am not unhappy to have both guns; I do not expect that I will ever part with the KGP-141, no matter how many other guns I may purchase (I currently have purchase permits for 2 more).

By the way, primary HD gun is a Remington 870 Police Magnum; handguns are for backup re in-home defense.

I dought you will find many if any critisisms of the quality of ruger revolers in regard to durrabiliy etc. The sp and the gp are both great guns. The sp is more of a carry gun as previously mentioned where the gp may be better for your purposes. The longer barrel will give you more muzzle velocity (important for .38 special rounds to expand). If you are not worried about concealablility go with the gp, longer barrel will also mean more accuracy (either for intrinsic reasons or longer site radius).

I own both a 4" GP-100 and a 2" SP-101. If I was looking for a plinking, target shooting, home defense gun; the first one I would pick is the Ruger GP-100 bar none. I bought the SP-101 for concealed carry, and it is a great gun for that purpose. I have one complaint with it and to me it is a big deal. Every bullet made for a .357 with the possible exception of the 180s (which I haven't tried) shoot low with the factory sights. I don't want to hear any BS about this being a belly gun and I don't need to aim and all that BS. I want to be able to use the sights and have the bullets impact where I aim PERIOD. Since that doesn't happen, I can't recommend it for plinking or target shooting. It is just as durable as the GP-100 for all practical purposes. The SP-101 will last two lifetimes of shooting the hottest .357 loads you can find, the GP-100 might last three or four lifetimes. Who cares ?

I don't own an SP101, but have several friends who do and they love them. I've not heard one complaint from anyone concerning their SP.

request for Tyro

Would you repeat that message using the Model designations rather than the Part/catalog number? I have no bloody idea what guns you are talking about.

Anyone else in that boat with me?

Doc Hudson

If you think the gun may actually see some carry duty, I would say go with the SP101...with a caveat. I'd try to get a 3" barrel if possible; best of both worlds, splitting the difference between portability and shootability/retained energy.

If it's strictly going to be a house gun, the GP-100 would be tough to beat. For all practical purposes, you can shoot as much .38/.357 as you want, and shooting mild .38s would be about as pleasant as it can possibly get recoil-wise for centerfire handguns. Cheap, fun practice makes for a good shot, and that's one of the main goals here...

Not to say an SP-101 isn't tough; you'd probably have to fire quite a few loads to loosen one up. If you have any doubt, and think it may be an issue with the amount you plan to shoot, then go with the GP-100. It shouldn't let you down...

They're both tough. The bigger issue, I would think, is whether you need to be able to carry it. If you end up shooting a lot of .38 (which you very well may), then either gun should be more than enough. Good luck on your decision...

-tubeshooter

Would you repeat that message using the Model designations rather than the Part/catalog number? I have no bloody idea what guns you are talking about.

Anyone else in that boat with me?

I didn't bring my secret decoder ring either. :p

Doc Hudson

He Probably has a catalog and as you said is using model numbers.
KGP-141 is the GP100 in 38/357 SS 4" barrel with Full under lug and adj. sights it is the most popular of the GP100 series.
KSP321XL is the SP101 SS 5-Rounds in 38/357, 2-1/4 inch barrel, With fixed sights and Surless-Hammer.

If you what to know model numbers. Ruger will send you a free catalog.

GP-100
BTW, The KGP-161, 6", SS ,Barrel, Adj. Sights is my favorite.
Best Tony
Ruger Home Page
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/

[Edited by tonyz on 03-23-2001 at 11:27 AM]

tonyz,

With respect, I believe you have the Ruger model designations wrong:

> The KGP-141 has a four-inch, full underlug barrel
> The KGP-161 has the six-inch, full underlug barrel

In your post you suggest the 141 has a six-inch barrel -- that's the 141, which I like so much I own two.

RWK

You are right the 141 is the 4" and the 161 is the 6" I got them mixed up. Thats why it is easyer IMHO to describe the pistol along with the model number.
The second to the last number in the model # is the barrel length in GP and SP series.

Thanks for catching my error

Best Tony

Larger, heavier guns have less felt recoil. And guns with longer barrels are easier to shoot accurately. Of course, larger, heavier guns with longer barrels are harder to conceal.

For concealed carry, a 2" or 3" SP101 would be a fine choice. But you said home defense and target shooting. For that, a medium-framed revolver with a 4" barrel would be a much better choice. The 2" barrel and minimal sights on the SP101 will make it significantly harder to shoot accurately than a 4" GP100.

I'm sure the SP101 will handle a lot of hot .357 loads. But you probably won't. At least, not in the SP101. They'll be a lot easier to handle in the larger, heavier GP100.

Go back to the dealer and see if you can have your money put towards a GP100 instead.

M1911

I had the same decision to make, and I compromised by going with the SP101 (.357) with the 3" barrel, SA/DA. To my surprise, this is one of the best shooting and most accurate guns that I own. It is a little tackdriver. I haven't had any trouble with heavy (or light) loads shooting low. I've also added a Crimson Trace laser grip, and it is great.

My load of choice is 110gr Corbon, and I usually shoot 1/3 .357 & 2/3 .38 at the range. No sore hand.

Good luck and you'll be happy either way.

The gun won't have any durability concerns. I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, you may wish to approach an unfolding HD situation w/o the open display of a large-frame revolver.:) The SP is small enough to tuck in a pocket, whereas the larger GP would need to be stuffed in the waistband, or holstered.

My one concern would be the DAO trigger. If you are new to shooting, this will make it harder(though not impossible) to master basic marksmanship than if you could cock the hammer for a lighter pull. For defense, though, you should be firing DA. If you are experienced, this won't be an issue. For CCW, the smooth bobbed hammer is an asset to a clean draw.

For carry in a 'small' .357, I would suggest one of the 110gr. JHPs. The recoil difference between them, and the best of the 125gr loads, is certainly noticeable, though not necessarily punishing.

Doc,

I apologize for not answering your question promptly (I just got back from surgery at hospital).

tonyz, RWK, et. al., thanks for answering for me.

VictorLouis,

You are right about the DAO trigger, but the fact that the Ruger revolvers are designed to endure unlimited dry-firing goes a long way toward solving that problem. I posted a topic on a TFL forum recently confessing my doubt that I would be able to learn to shoot efficiently and effectively with a DAO trigger (I had just gotten my GP 100 back from the gunsmith and was just learning to shoot my first handgun). But one week later - a week full of daily dry-firing the Ruger - I shot so well with it that my CCW instructor insisted that I had to be an experienced handgunner, rather than the novice that I am (100 shots, 99 of which tightly hugged the X's on the silhouettes). For me (a little old man with poor vision and a frail body) I find the Ruger GP 100 to be very user friendly, and easy to learn to use efficiently and effectively as an HD gun and a target gun.

The fact that Jack Weigand worked his magic on the trigger, ported the barrel, and installed Ashley Outdoors combat sights, no doubt enhances my happiness and success with the GP 100 :).

I have 2 SP-101s .357, 1 with hammer,1 no hammer, DAO. with
fast powder and light bullets 125 gr. HPs, the gun is a
accurate and very concealable protection,I load with W231
with max charges for the 125 gr. bullet.

Thank you Tyro, TonyZ & RWK

It was not my intention to be smart aleck but not being up on the catalog numbers, I had no idea what the heck you were talking about.

Just one question for all three of you though. Why refer to a 4" GP-100 as a KGP-141 or what ever rather than just saying "4 inch GP-100?"

Doc Hudson

Thanks a lot for the good advice. I think that for now I will stick with the SP101 simply because I may actually use the gun for CC in the future. But, with all of the comments made about the GP100 I think I will save up a little and buy that one too! Gees oh man, guns can really be an addiction. I'm sure there will always be just one more that I "need." The next on my list will be the GP100. Thanks again for all the help.

Back