Second thoughts on my .338-06

6.5 swede would be really neat. Lots of reloading options and great 6.5 BC and SD. In some parts of the world that round takes some respectable sized game.

Now I'm looking at the 6mm rem AI. I have never had an AI before, great ballistics on the .243 bullets, and while I have never really been a velocity junkie, 4000 fps is possible in that gun with 55-60 gr bullets.

And I do some coyote calling with my buddy in the winter, usually I use my varmint AR. But a 6mm Rem AI would be a heck of a Varmint rifle . No?

Now that is something that would fill a niche in the arsenal. Plus it's just something different.

Guess it depends on what you will do with it. I had a real itch for a 338-06 at one time seeing a lightweight job at my gunsmith. Fabulous and he used it for elk and moose. Since I never shoot at anything over 300 yards, I suspect it would be deadly, but I already own 4 30-06's and 3 of various 300 mags which will kill anything I'm likely to see in my hunting future. I'm not a fan of the 25-06 because I had and older ruger 77 and it shot so poorly it soured me on the cartridge. Old ruger 77's had bad barrels so I realize it's not the 25-06 itself

Sounds like you've been talked out of the 338-06. Regards the 6 mm Rem, I don't have one, but book values say you can get 100 fps over a .243. Regards the Ackley treatment, that has always fascinated me. Sounds like no downside. But why don't manufacturers develop AI cartridges or commercialize existing ones? Ruger and Nosler have introduced new cartridges recently, and Nosler in particular is touting theirs as the be all/end all (don't they always). But no steep shoulders. In any case, a very interesting round with a lot of potential, and of course a huge selection of bullets. Hey, it's a project. Go for it, and let us know how it works. At worst, it won't do as well as advertised. But you'll still have a unique and hot 6 mm.

Sounds like you've been talked out of the 338-06

I am easily persuadable on this project. Normally, I already know what I am doing before I start a build project and usually it is to fill some niche or "gap" in my arsenal that I have convinced myself that needs filled.

In the case of this build, I had no real need in mind initially, I came across a couple G98 Mausers in great condition and gave one to my brother and one to my dad, keeping one for myself. That's why I'm being so fickle about it, I had no plan to begin with

Instead of making a choice based on what caliber will be a filler for what you already own, maybe you should pick a caliber that you desire and not worry about what you already have. It might make things easier. Want a big non-mag thumper? Do some research on a caliber that interests you and build it. Or maybe you just want to build a .30-06, nothing wrong with that.

I've pretty much tried most of the 06 based case cartridges. I've owned rifles chambered in .25-06 Rem, 6.5-06, .270 Win, .280 Rem, .30-06, 8mm-06, .338-06, .35 Whelen. I'm down to the .25-06, .270 Win, .30-06, and .338-06, if I had to pair it down further I'd sell down to the .270 and .338-06 as my keepers. Though getting rid of my .30-06 would be tough, I just don't shoot it as much as I do my .270 rifles. I do miss my Whelen rifles as well, but when you go a year without work due to an injury sometimes you have to liquidate a few items.

Now I'm looking at the 6mm rem AI. I have never had an AI before, great ballistics on the .243 bullets, and while I have never really been a velocity junkie, 4000 fps is possible in that gun with 55-60 gr bullets.

And I do some coyote calling with my buddy in the winter, usually I use my varmint AR. But a 6mm Rem AI would be a heck of a Varmint rifle . No?

Now that is something that would fill a niche in the arsenal. Plus it's just something different.

That's a short case. the 6.5 Sweed is long and it gets you lot of choices for loads.

Go with the right twists and you can shoot tiny pills really fast.

That's a short case. the 6.5 Sweed is long and it gets you lot of choices for loads

The 6mm Remington is 56.7 mm. It is based on the origional 8 mm Mauser via the .257 Roberts necked down to .243 or 6mm....which is the same length as the magazine and action are designed for. It is actually longer by approx 2mm longer than the 6.5x55 Sweed (55m).We're you thinking of 6BR or something?

The nice part about using a case created from the original 8mm mauser, or the 6.5 Sweed, is that i can feed from the magazine with bullets closer to the lands in a standard throat. If I go with a .25-06 or some other .30-06 derivative with a longer case, (the .30-06 is 2.49" approximately vs the 2.244/57mm Mauser) I cant seat as long.

Last edited:
The 6mm Remington is 56.7 mm. It is based on the origional 8 mm Mauser via the .257 Roberts necked down to .243 or 6mm....which is the same length as the magazine and action are designed for. It is actually longer by approx 2mm longer than the 6.5x55 Sweed (55m).We're you thinking of 6BR or something?

Yea I thought shorter. Too danged many of these 6/6.5s and getting mixed up.

Alright,
I am sold on the 6mm Remington AI. It will make a nice varmint and white tail rifle. I will probably make separate varmint (light fast 60is gr) and deer (100gr ) loads.

But now I have to decide on a twist rate. At 6mm AI velocities, a 1:8 twist might tear apart a 58gr bullet, but my stability calculator says 1:10 is too slow for 105 VLDs.
So 1:9? Probably good for 65-105 gr bullets?

Also, a side question: when fire forming for an AI, do y'all just use factory ammo? Otherwise I have to buy 6mm AI and 6mm dies just for fire forming brass...at least a 6mm seating die right?

The 3006 length cartridges in mauser 98's ki d of get robbed if you like seating bullets out because of magazine constraints, but with the berger type bullets, I got my best accuracy with a big jump.
With 6mm bullets a 1:7 twisted barrel would let you take advantage of the 115 grn class of bullets which would be dynamite on whitetail or varmints..
If I ever build another custom its going to be the 6mm Creedmoor, with a fast twist barrel, on a m48 intermediate length action.

Were I to find myself in "need" of a multi-purpose rifle for woods hunting deer on up through bear and moose sized game...

The .338-06 would be a very serious contender.

I have a .338-06, throwing 200 Hornadys at 2810; however, your "hole" needs to be filled by a 6.5-06. Mine is throated for 140 Noslers and clocks 2935, and 129s at 3070.

Geautide, the 6.5 06 really doesnt give him advantage over his .270 win.
And what exactly is "throated for 140 Noslers" ?

If I was going 06 wildcat, I think it would probably be a 6.5-06. Being able to launch the heavier high bc bullets for the caliber at high velocity could be very accurate even at long range.

Just quickly reading through these posts on the .338-06, I may have missed it, but I didn't see where anyone mentioned the .338 Federal. I have a good hunting acquaintance who traded in his .338-06 for a Kimber (America Model I think) in the Federal caliber, and said he really liked the reduction in the recoil from his .338-06. I don't know how he fared as far as hunting with the Federal, as I haven't had a chance to visit with him on it. Anyone out there use the .338 Federal? Should be a good one for elk.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see where anyone mentioned the .338 Federal. I have a good hunting acquaintance who traded in his .338-06 for a Kimber

Correct me if I'm wrong but the .338 federal is a necked up .308? Well, my Mauser is not a shot action, necessary to accommodate the 8x57 Mauser. Also, I do not like the .338 federal because the velocities are too low. I wouldn't hunt elk with it because I sometimes face 400-500 yard shots.
I am not trying to be argumentative, and I appreciate the reply, but I think Federal was thinking about hogs or short range deer.... basically a 30/30 with a .338 diameter bullet. Also, I'm in my mind 30's and recoil isn't something I really worry about at this stage in my life.

I think it's great that you have the opportunity to build anything you want on a cool old action. This thread has covered quite a gamut of ideas and calibers idea-wise for you and the build. Sounded like you might go with the 6MM, A.I., on your post #32, and my bad, since I have a 6MM Rem, I was thinking short action cartridge. But I see that the A.I. might be better served in your Mauser action because of the heavier bullets that can be used, if you decide on going that route.

Yup, the .338 Fed is based on the .308 case, as I understand it, and I know nothing about the cartridge. Personally, it's never interested me. And, I haven't been able to visit with my buddy on his experience and performance in his use of it. I guess that's why I asked the question of anyone's usage of the cartridge. Elk hunting? I'm sure at reasonable ranges, bullet choice and shot placement, the Fed would work as well as any other caliber. My friend's a pretty good hunter, really, and I respect what he chooses to use in the field, be it traditional archery or rifle.

Idea exchange is a fine thing, especially on rifles and cartridges, and especially for someone being able to have the opportunity for a build. Deciding on a caliber would be a fun problem to have, indeed. All the best to you on your caliber decision. And really, if it was me? I think I'd go with the 25-06...Ha!

Back