Second impressions on new Python.

jetinteriorguy

My initial impression on the new Python I picked up a couple weeks ago was a bit dissapointing. So many great reviews on the trigger I expected this fantastic light smooth trigger. While it’s smooth in DA, it’s fairly heavy in both DA and SA, at least compared to what I’m used to. The serrations on the trigger were too aggressive as well. Now after playing with it for a while I’ve changed my tune. The DA is very nice, while still a bit heavy I’ve gotten used to it and really like it, the ergo’s combined with the smoothness make it very easy to maintain it on target in DA, which is how I shoot any way. There’s just something about how everything comes together on this gun that I’m really starting to like, a lot. I don’t even mind the serrations on the trigger as much as I did at first.

Glad you gave your new Python a chance and warmed up to it a bit more.

Keep running rounds through it and see if the DA trigger 'wears in' a bit as you keep using it....

You are a 60’s and 70’s S&W guy, aren’t you?!

I ask, because I am. A new Colt is a great revolver. Best made currently, as far as I can tell. That said, the old school Colt and S&W’s will likely never be made again. I buy all I can. The thing that pains me the most are the grips going for $400 a set for nice ones. We are just in a different world now.

That said, new S&Ws are pretty good. New Colts are a level above the rest. Spohr looks interesting, but definitely good money.

Honestly, before the Colts, most of the Ruger GP100’s I’ve handled were a bit ugly, but very functional. I’d buy a blue one again. Would love to see one in black PVD and less writing on it.

So, instead of dreaming, I’m saving for a new blued Colt!

Can anyone verify that the blued version of the new Python is blued carbon steel? I examined one real closely at the NRA Exhibits and it looked like the polished stainless gun with some kind of transparent blue coating. Certainly nothing like the original Python royal blue.

It is VERY heavy by design for drop safety. Great drop safety design, terrible consequences on pull weight.

I have no idea who these people are that say it's a great trigger, but I immediately know they don't have one or have not picked up 686 before.

It's not even a matter of opinion or variation. They come heavy by design. Only one company is authorized to change and it warranties the change for 1 year.

Colt Website said:
The resurgence of a true legend – the Colt Python, now in a Carbon Steel Blued finish. The new Colt Python is a testament to timeless design and modern innovation.

Colt says so…

It is VERY heavy by design for drop safety. Great drop safety design, terrible consequences on pull weight.

I have no idea who these people are that say it's a great trigger, but I immediately know they don't have one or have not picked up 686 before.

It's not even a matter of opinion or variation. They come heavy by design. Only one company is authorized to change and it warranties the change for 1 year.
Yes, if I wanted a .357 I'd get an 80s to early 90s S&W 686.

Trigger pull can be worked on but is often superb right out of the box.

I sold my CS-1 last year and that was the best of the best.

I believe the reason for the heavy trigger is because the early models were having issues with light strikes in DA, at least this is what my research dug up. It’s really not hard to get used to a slightly heavy trigger unless your hand strength isn’t up to the task, its not a problem for me since I’ve worked hard with my hands for over 50 years and still have plenty of hand strength. I think there’s something about the way the trigger lets off that just keeps it on target so good.

I have an old Python and a 3 year old 686. The SA trigger on the 686 wasn’t great, and not as great as the Python, so I had the 686 trigger smoothed out. What I don’t know is whether or not the Python trigger had ever been worked on. They are equally good now. The DA trigger pulls are quite different. The Python, to me, feels sort of 2 stage, where the 686 seems a bit more abrupt. Not saying that one is better than the other, but I was used to the Python DA.

If I had to make one shot for all the money these days, I’d use the 686. Mostly because the grip fits my hand better. The Python is much prettier.

I've got three of the new Pythons and I think the DA triggers are great. My scale only goes to eight pounds, so they're more than that, but not by much. I guess I'd call it ten, but that is just a guess. The SA's come in between 5.5 and 6.5 consistently, but since I never fire them in SA, I don't really care.

I've got a couple of Smith and Wesson's that have "better than average" triggers too. One is a 19-5, the other is a 686-6. The 686 especially is VERY nice. I'd say it rivals the Colts but that may be because it has a smooth face trigger vs the groved one the Colts have. (If Colt ever calls me and asks for my opinion I'll suggest changing to a smooth face trigger, but my phone hasn't rung yet.) I bought the Smith and Wesson's both used so I have no idea if they've been "worked on" or not, but I've owned a lot of S&W's over the years, and they're better than average. The Pythons were all purchased NIB and came out of the box with VERY good DA triggers. Oh...I've never fired the S&W's in SA either.

Which one I prefer really comes down to which one I shot most recently. I would say I shoot one about as poorly as the other.

I'm glad I don't have to choose between them.

I remembered having an old trigger shoe from my Model 15 that I haven’t used in years. So I stuck it on the Python out of curiosity. It sort of fit enough to basically test it and it is a definite improvement. But even though it’s still a serrated design they are much better than the ones on the Python. So I got out the Dremel and ground them off and wow that really did the trick. It’s looking kind of ugly but I’m going to do some more grinding of the shape and then polish it nice and smooth and then reblue it so it’s not so ugly. Meanwhile I’m searching for an actual shoe made for a Python, preferably either stainless or even nickel plated would work. If anyone here has an idea where I can find one made for the Python I’d sure appreciate the information.

As far as I know, no one has made a trigger shoe for the new Python.
Since the trigger shape of the new gun is very different from the original, older shoes will not work.

I was really seriously considering a new blued Python, but then, two days ago, bought a no dash 586 that I found. Glass smooth, easy pull DA and light as a feather SA. Just a fantastic revolver. Like new other than a turn ring on the cylinder. And $500 less than a new Python.

Since the trigger shape of the new gun is very different from the original, older shoes will not work.
Uh oh, I found an original on eBay and snagged it yesterday. It wasn’t too expensive so no biggie. It seems the one from my Smith model 15 works quite well anyway so I may just work on it a little more, then polish it and reblue it. There’s always hope that somebody will eventually come up with something. I’d actually feel fine with the stock trigger if it weren’t for the aggressive serrations, they chew the crap out of my finger. I’m tempted to Bubba it and grind them down just a bit but really hate to mess with this beautiful gun, such a shame.

Is anybody currently making trigger shoes at this time…lol. Today’s society is so litigious, I’m surprised any trigger stuff is made!

There are some available, the most likely one I saw was actually made for a specific paint ball gun. There was one other one I saw but it looked like the serrations on it weren’t any better than the stock Python trigger, and they didn’t specify what gun it was actually made for. The one I have works great, I’ve ground the serrations down smooth and rounded the edges. It is wider than the trigger guard but I might grind the sides down a bit to match the trigger guard too, although for my range use it’s not necessary, and doing so may not leave enough threads for the set screws to work reliably. I’ll have to check with my calipers to see how it looks.

Back