Seating Depth Test

There was an old Farside cartoon about that. Two deer, one of which has a bullseye coloration pattern on his chest, and the other deer comments, "what an unfortunate birthmark."

Have you seen any hunters take game shooting from a bench?
Indeed, I have -- at least within the greater umbrella of the term "hunting", as used in the US.

So far this year, I believe the whitetail count is 33 does and 6 bucks taken from an elevated blind, the shots from which are taken off a bench. An acquaintance records every kill on their ranch and shares every video.

But why circle back here? Your initial beef was an assumption that I was, somehow, not sighting rifles correctly; in a discussion that (you, yourself) detoured from seating depth testing to statistical significance of shots per group.

Now you're just picking extra nits because one of them left a bad taste in your mouth.

I use same system as Tayloce1.
And when I find something to build from I donload a twenty or even more, proof type loads... I dont usually shoot less than 5 rnds to see if theres any interest in data.
However the component shortage has put a stranglehold on testing new bullets for old guns...
I only use hunting type bullets for my Hunting style rifles, they are put together to hit as close to where crosshairs were, when trigger breaks.. Standing or leaned up against a tree, or laying prone, use of logs..

In my Savage 223's I have never had much success in changing seating depth. Though I know many bench shooters that do.

My technique for load workup has been 6 rounds fired in 2 three shot groups shot in round robin form. Load work is in .3gr increments. Those groups that look interesting get loaded again in .1gr either side of the one of interest. The best groups then get loaded into 12 round batches and then fired into 4 three shot groups round robin and then each target is transferred into a composite of the 12. I will then usually repeat that 12 rounds a couple times to see it it is repeatable.

Back