Seasonal carry choice?

When it's below zero and windy like this, it's nice to go to a cross draw holster. I can keep the top buttons on my coat closed and leave a couple left undone at the bottom to get at my gun.

You want a 147 in case of zombie elves? snicker.

No, I don't live as close to the arctic circle as you do. Santa's undead minions aren't a threat down here. There are a good number of heroin and methamphetamine junkies in these parts.

While I trust a 124 grain JHP will penetrate a coat and whomever is wearing it, the material could clog the point of the bullet preventing proper expansion. So when temperatures are low, am placing my bets on the bullet weight that offers the best penetration. That would be the 147.

Material won't clog anything or cause non-expansion. Only insufficient velocity will do that. Still won't make any difference. Expanded or not the energy's the same.
"...Santa's undead minions aren't a threat..." Likely not. We send 'em to Florida. Dye their hair blue and grey first. snicker.

Winter, spring, summer or fall: S&W 642 90% of the time. Depends on how big a pocket I have in my trousers, mostly. The snub fits all of 'em.

Anybody else change guns or loads depending on the season?

Nope.

I will modify carry from single stack to double stack 9mm if I think I'll be in a higher threat environment; same caliber, same bullet but more rounds.

Expanded or not the energy's the same.
If your theory were true, FMJ's would be just as effective as hollowpoints, which we all know is false

"Energy" might technically be the same if weight and velocities match, but tissue damage and the size of the wound cavity is what stops the threat

...I' risk the bashing for the "mouse gun", but since you've asked:

NAA .22Mag "long" barrel (right) and Böker Subcom folder (left) with light clothing.

Glock 26 (right), extra magazine (left) and Cold Steel TiLite 4" (left) with more clothing.

S&W 629-6, .44 Mag 4" als backup when hunting (approx. twice a week)

Back