Seasonal carry choice?

Willie Lowman

I used to switch to my Glock 23 in winter months. This year I have decided to stick to my Glock 26. I have changed from 124 to 147 grain ammo in these days of coats and extra clothes.

Anybody else change guns or loads depending on the season?

I do.

It's mostly because of the greater ability to conceal. That extra layer (windbreaker, usually - I'm in warm California) means I can carry my L-frame 357 Mag. In the warm months, I carry a compact 9mm.

I usually go big bore up here where critters and people are wearing extra layers. My Commander .45 is my choice right now, I've often heard that hollowpoints can plug up going threw multiple layers so I'm thinking go big in the winter.

Nothing "hard and fast" rulewise, but I do have a great tendency to carry a .32/.22 pairing in the summer, and a .38/.380 duo in the winter, strictly because of my clothing choices. Colt Officers model tends to find its way under my jacket as well.

Seasonal carry choice.

Normally no change for me. Most days it's a K frame .357 Magnum. Depending on what I'm wearing it's either a 4" or 2 1/2" version.

I've recently purchased a M 640-1 in .357 Magnum. I find myself carrying it more and more.

I don't see what difference the season makes. When you go indoors in winter, you take your coat off. At that point, your cover is pretty much the same as it would be in summer.

So no, I don't change.

When you go indoors in winter, you take your coat off.
If I were to go to someone's home I would, but in most stores I'd rather keep it on instead of having to carry it.

Most "encounters" are likely to happen on the streets or in parking lots

I don't see what difference the season makes. When you go indoors in winter, you take your coat off. At that point, your cover is pretty much the same as it would be in summer.

Well, maybe... In summer I wear significantly lighter clothes than winter.

April - October I carry a walther PPS, usually in a kangaroo carry chest holster under a loose polo shirt or Hawaiian shirt. November - March I carry a glock 19 in a galco shoulder rig, with a sweater, loose flannel shirt, or sweatshirt.

There is no way I could hide the glock / galco in the summer... it prints so easy through the light summer clothing.... and in winter with a bulky wool sweater, I could hide a ruger redhawk if I wanted to, so why carry a single stack sub compact?

Situaltional carry choice. Town two autos or three revolvers of 9mm or .38. Up to the cabin I toss in something bear size because even though it is Winter ther aint hardly any snow yet so the bears are still out.

I change my mode of carry to accomodate heavier coats or multiple layers in winter, but usually carry the same compact 9mm. I have experimented with bigger guns under bulky winter jackets from time to time, but always go back to my regular EDC.

Seasonal Carry

Since there are but two seasons down here in the GunShine State and they do not vary as to weather all that much I carry the same during Tourist season as Hurricane season. Just where on my person changes.
:cool:

LCP pocket carry ALWAYS.
Kahn CM9 IWB in Summer when wearing fuller shirts. Not T's
Springfield Armory XD40 Subcompact IWB in Winter often.
When Winter coat will not be removed from my presence, Ruger LCR 38Spcl in front coat pocket.

I don't see what difference the season makes. When you go indoors in winter, you take your coat off.

While that may be true, you still wear heavier clothing in the winter that can make it easier to conceal. I can conceal a larger handgun better with a thick sweater than I can with a light cotton t shirt. I also wear zipper hooded sweatshirts alot in the winter which I keep in when indoors.

You must live down in the Tropical part of Missouri where people wear shorts, and T shirts year round! I haven't found that part of the state yet.:D

Everything generally stays the same for me, with a few minor changes. One of those changes; I'll carry my full size back up mag everyday, rather than occasionally like I do in the summer months. I've always tried to keep the same carry gun and ammo all year round. In the fall, my attire usually includes a zip up hoodie/sweat shirt so I'll carry OWB in a belt holster. Before the switch, I'll exclusively practice OWB draws as I normally carry apendix.

For those of you that like to switch it up, do you also alter your training regimen?

Back