Sears and Kmart - Defense Free Zones

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above post is not directed solely at cannonfire. I have seen many comments such as "concealed is concealed" and "they have the right to ban firearms" All of these from gun owners.

They do hold that right, just like we are free to shop elsewhere.

I see the "Just Conceal and be done with it" type of comments alot... I will address this as it actually applies to ME... I OC 100% of the time at the moment... Why? Because I CAN NOT legally carry concealed!

I have applied for and am waiting for my CCW... but until it arrives I either go unarmed or I OC. I now live in NV and it is legal to OC here so I choose to OC at least until my CCW arrives!

Another situation is if you are under 21 (it is legal to OC as long as you can legally own(NOT BUY but OWN) a handgun in NV) so those 18, 19 and 20 year olds that can't CC yet... They CAN OC! so if they choose to do so it is well within the law!

1. I don't see anything wrong with open carrying. I do it all the time.

2. I don't see anything wrong with sharing that a company is anti-gun. We can all band together and try to get them to change their policy. That's how the Brady Bunch does it with pro-gun companies, there is nothing wrong with fighting fire with fire.

About the only thing I disagree with, in this area, is when someone says, "Before I went to Moe's Tie Dyed T-Shirt shop carrying my gun I called to see if it was OK." My opinion is if Moe wants to ban guns in his store he can post a sign, otherwise I, by default, am carrying my gun there, but then if Moe has a problem with it, I don't see any harm in telling everybody else that Moe has a problem with it so they can make their own decisions.

business rights vs 2A/citizen rights...

this subject has come up before on other popular firearms/2A rights forums.

On a personal level, I see both legal sides of this issue but I lean more towards the gun owners/2A supporters. Safety & security are important but LE can't be everywhere or respond in 2-5min. Doing licensed security work(armed & unarmed) I can tell you first-hand that 911/LE responses can take from 5 to 45 minutes. :(
Active shooters, gang activities, armed robbers-car jackings, sex assaults-stalkers are more & more common at malls/shopping centers and retail stores.
More business owners may post signs or have corp SOPs but I think they are more concerned with street gangs or thugs than some middle age guy in a polo shirt & relaxed fit Dockers with a 1911A1 Commander or Glock 19/23 on their hip.

I agree 100% with noted gun writer & sworn LE officer Massad F Ayoob said about wearing/concealing weapons in public; "don't startle the horses", a ref to Victorian era New York City(late 1800s/early 1900s) where upper class citizens said not to draw attention to yourself or cause a big scene. ;)
A more common, tactical term is; "quiet professional".

I think some of the posters are missing the point... this is not a thread about if OC is "OK" or not it is about spending money at a store that is NOT GUN FRIENDLY

Look at it this way, if you are a "Christian" and you find out there is a store that does not allow Christians in the store are you going to continue to shop there, I mean they can't tell your a Christian right?

The point is if they have a policy against something (in this instance GUNS) we believe in, we need to band together and NOT SHOP THERE anymore and let them know why!

It really has nothing to do with if we believe that it is alright to Open Carry or not... Their policy doesn't mention anything about OC it says "NO FIREARMS" that means none, CC or OC, they are Anti Gun... therefor I don't see why "Gun owners" would want to spend their money there and support them... :confused:

Sorry but I have to admit that while I'm a strong supporter of concealed carry and I don't feel stores should be able to block what the state has said is ok to do, I do not support open carry. There are too many people who are just plain afraid of guns. they have a right to not have them in their face and they have a right to shield their kids from them (I disagree with doing that as I feel every one should at least know how to handle a gun safely). To me open carry is an arrogant in your face sort of thing and it doesn't do well for gaining support for our sport. It just gives ammo to the anti gun people. I have to agree with Sears here, they're in business and the 1 open carry person is likely to drive away many non-carry customers. Concealed they should allow but I can see why they wouldn't want open.

Crankylove said:
Quote:
Open carry of a LOADED handgun is legal in Utah - with a permit

I could be wrong, as it has happened before........once. But, last I checked, the only permit to carry a firearm in Utah is the Concealed Firearm Permit.........which allows you to carry a loaded, concealed firearm. And while open carry is legal, the firearm must meet the legal definition of being unloaded.

I will have to double check that now, as I hate it when I stick my foot in my mouth
Among other exemptions, possession of a permit exempts the holder from the provisions UCA 76-10-505prohibiting public carry of a loaded firearm, thus, with a permit, one can legally open carry loaded.

SCJeffro said:
I think some of the posters are missing the point... this is not a thread about if OC is "OK" or not it is about spending money at a store that is NOT GUN FRIENDLY

Get with the program! Every thread that mentions open carry, no matter how miniscule the mention is, MUST cause those who oppose open carry to express their opinions. It's a fact that has never failed to happen. And I just can't resist the bait to respond, that's never failed to happen either! :D

It's like mentioning the word gun anywhere near the Brady Bunch.

Originally Posted by Navy LT
Get with the program! Every thread that mentions open carry, no matter how miniscule the mention is, MUST cause those who oppose open carry to express their opinions. It's a fact that has never failed to happen. And I just can't resist the bait to respond, that's never failed to happen either!

It's like mentioning the word gun anywhere near the Brady Bunch.

I could understand this as when you say GUN in the Brady forums we know they are anti gun... I guess I just blindly expected a forum stating it is "The Leading forum for firearms enthusiasts" to be a little more 2nd Amendment friendly... Unfortunately, it has become painfully clear to me recently that many gun owners could really care less about the 2nd Amendment! :(

My support is fully behind the ENTIRE second amendment, including the "Shall Not Be Infringed" part... Oh well if we are ever to lose our rights to Keep and Bear Arms I for one will be able to stand tall and KNOW full well that I did everything I could to support the FULL amendment while it was still around! Many gun owners will not be able to say the same. :(

We are starting to bicker - not that useful.

Contact Sears if you wish. If someone has useful new info from them, let one of the staff know and we can open for that.

Otherwise, debating OC again and having folks curse each other - bah.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back