Searching for right deer ammo

To all: and Big D: Thank You. I like what I see in this:
Given your requirements, I would go with the Winchester Power Max 150gr load. It's available at PSA if you can't find it locally.

I used to hunt with good hollow points when I lived in Wisconsin, in 1972, and like what I saw in the Power Max. I will get one of those and a couple of others and warm up!

When I looked through my supply of ammo for this year's deer hunt, realized I'd need to order soon, if I am to include sighting time, practice shots, which is why this topic is pre-hunt.

I'm really a pretty good shot, picked a bird out of the air with a 30-30, just want to make sure I have all information in this head before I start: wind, drop, grain, etc.!! Thanks to all!

quote: Hornady Leverevolution is the odd ball. The 160-grain bullets start as fast as most 150-grain loads and better aerodynamics keep that speed up longer, so you have a little less to worry about in terms of bullet drop at your maximum range.
[
I see the problem with Hornady, which is if I were to leave these in the gun. I couldn't remember what the potential problem was there, thanks.

I need to order 3 or 4 boxes of ammo anyway, may try a Hornady, too.

Can't believe I allowed myself to get so low on ammo!

One more question, thought: When we first moved onto these 14 acres, I went walking the back 10, unarmed. After we met the neighbors, he showed me some pictures he took of the wild boars that lived back behind all of our places, and were destroying/robbing his deer feeders. They were about 500#, huge!

In an emergency setting, would any of these shells take down a boar, and I have heard that right between the eyes if the best shot. In an emergency, I'd take any shot or lots of them!!

I've never walked/hiked back there since, unarmed.

After this season, I want to check into learning to reload my own shells: have saved all of them.

Also, I noticed on the ammo that I do have left, that there is some type of ...? corrosion, build-up on them. Should I pass on using them? Financially, I don't mind losing a box, cheap learning lesson. $15-$20.00 isn't the end of the world, but what caused the corrosion?

I just looked up ammo storage and care on The Firing Line, and found out. I will clean the shells that have little corrosion, and store the new ones better, since we live in the south. We are on the MO/Ark line: quite humid here.

Last edited:
Ineedvenison said:
but what I am searching for, I guess, is what is the difference between a Remington Core-Lokt and a Winchester Super-X, and Federal Premium Vital- Lokt?

Honestly? Marketing. The deer won't know the difference.

One more question, thought: When we first moved onto these 14 acres, I went walking the back 10, unarmed. After we met the neighbors, he showed me some pictures he took of the wild boars that lived back behind all of our places, and were destroying/robbing his deer feeders. They were about 500#, huge!

In an emergency setting, would any of these shells take down a boar...
Against normal size boars, .30-30 ammo would do well. A 500# pig might be a different story. Might consider a premium load with a 150-grain Barnes TSX bullet for better penetration or move up to heavier bullets.

Missed that about the pigs. Depending on what they eat (deer feed plots rather than acorns) they can be good eating, if you want some meat in the freezer. Tend to be leaner than store bought pork.

Thanks, Idek. I might not need premium for up here in my deer plot, but if it should run and need tracking, it might be wise to have a shell that would impact a wild boar. Those that are back there are wild, and although maybe raiding some corn deer feeders, they are totally acorn feeders, etc., and wild. The neighbor that showed me the pics said he was nearly done in, although he was a very experienced hunter. Maybe I'll even take a friend and my dog if by any chance I need to track.

Our dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Shepherd mix, and he loves hunting!!!

I'd be comfortable using the Winchester Power Max load on boar of any size at short range. As range increased it would quickly become marginal for an animal that big.

Even if they eat acorns, they may still be worth eating.

A pig that has been eating a good acorn diet will taste very well indeed. I don't even attempt to eat mature boars - won't even waste my time getting them out of the woods. Buzzards got to eat too. However, a nice sow that has been feeding on fall acorns is prime meat.

Back