Searching for right deer ammo

Ineedvenison

Inactive
I have a Winchester 30-30, model 94AE. It is older, and I bought it used and after I bought it, took it to a local sports store to have it examined/sighted, tested....etc., so that I would know the exact condition of this gun.

I bought it for deer hunting, and I have had Winchester 30-30 in the past and knew it wasn't too heavy or awkward for me. I am a rather smallish lady, and although still fairly strong, I'm not so young anymore.

The sports/gun store recommended that I stay at 150 gr., and said that ....? something in the gun would do better not going up to 170 gr.

I do not have the greatest health for traipsing all over the hills looking for a wounded animal, and although I am a good shot, I would like to ask the forum which bullets do best for impact explosion, vs. going straight through.

5 years ago, when I got this gun, I took a deer first day, and it ran less than 40 feet, but don't remember which shell I used, either.

I have been looking all over the internet today for some common sense charts or graphs that address the 30-30, but they all go into 30-06, or numerous other rifles and targets.

I will mostly be sighting for 100-150 yards, as I can hunt on our own land.

Any links or discussions sincerely welcomed!

Traditional loads are 150 gr and 170. I honestly don't think it matters on deer. Shoot the one most accurate in your rifle. For black bear or elk the 170's would offer better penetration, but aren't necessarily needed for deer. The 150's are more likely to expand quicker, but the difference is pretty small.

You can try the new Hornady bullets with soft rubber tips. If it shoots good in your rifle then it'll kill deer and there are no negatives. It isn't really much if any better than traditional loads either.

No reason to overthink this. Most anything will work at ranges up to 100 yards. 150 yards is starting to push things especially if you are using iron sights. Killing one at that range isn't the problem, hitting them with irons is. Especially with the drop involved with 30-30.

I wonder why he said, "Something in the gun would do better not going up to 170 gr."????? That's the only weight I've ever used in any 30-30 when shooting factory ammo or my reloads. The only advantage to 150 gr. bullets is a slightly flatter trajectory and some what less recoil. Probably any of the factory 150 gr. load will be just fine for your purpose. About all I'd do is buy a box of each of the major brands to see which is the most accurate in your rifle. My personal choice is Winchester but Remington and Federal are also good. I've use them all in times past. Still use the 30-30 as a fun gun and knockabout piece but haven't hunt with one in years. One of the drawbacks of living in rather wide open spaces. ;)
Paul B.

gun condition

The man at the sports store said ? barrel or a part of the gun isn't in superb condition, but is fine for hunting deer: just never go into a marksmanship contest with it. He truly said stay with 150 gr., and is there any great difference between brands?

i'd say go with the remingtons, either 150 or 170grs. both worked great for me. there is not a real great differance between remington, winchester or federal.

does yours a have a scope? or are you like me, open sights. mine is a winchester m94 30-30 top eject.

+1 on the Hornady LeverEvolution IF your gun shoots them well. Not every gun does. It gives you an extra 50 or so true usable yards over round-nosed ammo.

I would recommend the 170 grain bullets from either Winchester or Remington. I have used both 150s and 170s and I can say the 170s worked much better.

I have had several 150 gr 30-30 loads stay in the deer and all my 170s have exited. I don't like loads that don't exit, speaking only for myself.

Exits let out the blood and kill faster as a rule and also leave a good blood trail if the deer moves after the shot.

Mine has a scope, which is a good thing!! Does anyone have links to good trajectory flight? Last time, I hit dead on, but it has been 5 years. The shot I will be taking, based on deer plot and blind, will be about ...50-130 yards, and probably the closer range of the two.

I think I may go 170 grain, even though it isn't recommended for this gun as a standard. I can do target practice with 150 gr., unless perhaps, you might recommend differently?

This year, I really need two deer in the freezer, no if's, and's or but's!!

My husband doesn't hunt; my daughter, who is a marksman, has moved, so it's up to me.

We live in Arkansas, bow opens in October, but not sure if I am up to that anymore, so looking for modern gun!

I'm a Remington Core-Lokt fan. Never incurred any problems with there use. Primarily their 170 gr cartridge was shot out of my 94 for quite-a-few years. Federal Power Shok & Winchester Super X brands on the other hand I have had minor problems with quite some time ago. As far as a difference in bullet weights. Depending on the size of the animals you hunt often determines the bullet weight you should consider using. In my local doe weigh around 120 to 150 lbs. Bucks as high as 240-plus than again and average 8-pt Buck is near 180-190 lbs.. If you were hunting down South in Dixie or the East or West Coast. 150-gr cartridges would be sufficient on those small'ish animals. But in the upper Midwest where the white tail deer grow to be a bit larger. I would suggest using the 170 gr.

Doyle, I am unsure of the Hornady, but only because this gun isn't in prime condition. I know Winchesters or Remington's will fire well, but what I am searching for, I guess, is what is the difference between a Remington Core-Lokt and a Winchester Super-X, and Federal Premium Vital- Lokt?

Thanks to all for replies!

Don't let the age of your gun scare you away from the Hornadys. Age isn't what determines whether or not they will shoot well - barrel harmonics will. Some barrels will shoot them just fine and another barrel in the exact same model gun will shoot them like buckshot. When they do fly good out of a particular barrel however, they really do fly much better than any round-nosed bullet. One caveat though - don't leave them loaded for days on end in your tube magazine. The rubber noses will deform.

As to the difference between Winchester, Remington, or Federal I don't know if any deer would ever be able to tell the difference. Shoot whatever ever shoots best in your particular gun. I used a Win '94 30-30 for one season and I got lucky in that the Hornady shot good for me. The really cheap blue-box Federals also shot good.

Given your requirements, I would go with the Winchester Power Max 150gr load. It's available at PSA if you can't find it locally.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...150gr-php-powermax-bonded-20rds-x30306bp.html

It should give you good expansion and an exit wound on any reasonable shot placement.

At your ranges, you should experience no meaningful drop. Zero at 100 yards and you can shoot without worrying about holdover anywhere from the muzzle to 150 yards.

Try Winchester Power-Point 170 grain or Federal 170 grain in the blue box. If those kick too much, try 150 grain version. Premium ammo is not needed for Deer. Just get the cheaper ammo in the better brands that goes on sale every deer season.

Why precisely bother to save money on hunting ammo? At worst we're talking maybe 10 shots a year. So maybe a whole two dollars of extra ammo cost? Far be it for me to tell others how to spend their money, but I'd trade two dollars for a reduced chance of having to track any day.

Hornady Leverevolution
I'm a Remington Core-Lokt fan
My personal choice is Winchester...
The really cheap blue-box Federals also shot good
+1 on the Hornady LeverEvolution IF...
Try Winchester Power-Point 170 grain or Federal 170 grain
i'd say go with the remingtons
Given your requirements, I would go with the Winchester Power Max 150gr load
150 yards is starting to push things... Especially with the drop involved with 30-30.
Zero at 100 yards and you can shoot without worrying about holdover anywhere from the muzzle to 150 yards.
Does that clear everything up? :)

...Actually a lot of posts have already suggested that many options work well. I just find it funny how mixed the responses are.

Ammo companies have had 120 years to get the .30-30 right, and it's killed more deer than any other cartridge, so you probably can't go too wrong. As others have said, Remington, Federal, Winchester are about interchangeable. It's just a matter of what your individual gun likes best.

Hornady Leverevolution is the odd ball. The 160-grain bullets start as fast as most 150-grain loads and better aerodynamics keep that speed up longer, so you have a little less to worry about in terms of bullet drop at your maximum range.

I'd recommend buying one brand of your choice and testing it for accuracy. If you're happy with it, stop. If you want better, try another brand. Repeat until happy with results.

Last edited:
Exactly. Almost all 30-30 is made especially for Deer hunting. Some of the more expensive premium ammo may be intended to transcend into bigger game like Elk, but it's essentially a deer gun and thus that premium stuff may actually be inferior to the cheaper ammo for deer.
I don't prefer Remington ammo, yet admittedly, their basic Core-Lokt 30-30 ammo has a stellar reputation on Deer than can hardly be beaten.

Back