Searching for new rifle

You will never regret getting the SAKO Grey Wolf! You have chosen wisely,best out of the box, in terms of accuracy and quality, production rifle avalible.:eek:

My father has a Sako in .270 win and it is an extremely nice hunting rifle. Don't see how you could go wrong there. I have a few Savages and they are extremely accurate but there is no comparison In overall fit, finish and quality of the smaller metal parts (trigger guard, safety, etc.) I am quite partial to my Weatherby Vanguard VGX as well. Others will point out the weight which is substantial but I've had no issues carrying her for 20 plus years.

I would not go under a 30-06 with the game you listed, especially with projectiles over 150 grains. It is always nice to have a little insurance.

Proving to be a difficult decision. Thus far, these are the models I'm considering (ranked from most to least favorable):

• Winchester Model 70; either Extreme Weather SS or Ultimate Shadow SS (I prefer the stock on the Extreme Weather SS but I'd rather the non-fluted barrel of the Ultimate Shadow SS

• Sako 85; Hunter Laminated Stainless, Varmint Laminated Stainless or Synthetic Stainless (though the price is stretching it and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the detachable box magazine)

• Ruger M77 Hawkeye; Predator, Varmint Target, Laminate Compact or All-Weather

• A high-end stainless steel Remington 700 (no idea which models are considered high-end though)

• Zastava M70 PSS (if I could find one here in Canada)

A couple of questions:

1. Can a detachable box magazine be converted to a hinged floorplate magazine and vice versa?

2. In general, is installing an aftermarket stock a difficult process?

Again, thank you all for the input. I'm definitely getting closer.

The box mag conversion really depends on the rifle...

That being said there is bottom metal out there to allow most hinged floor plates or blind mags to be converted to use the AICS mags which while great quality are quite expensive.

Stock installation usually isn't a big deal. most inlets are pretty good especially if you get something with a bedding block. Or just take it to your smith for pillar and glass bedding.

I like the Winchester the most out of your choices. I like ruger's but they just feel less refined to me compared to the Winchester. I've only handled a Sako and not much so I can't speak much on that one.

Having a Winchester EW in my safe, my best suggestion is to go handle one before you buy. I wound up replacing the stock on the EW as soon as I could. Unless you have large hands the EW is going to feel awful thick and clubby through the wrist and forearm. If you ask some people they actually prefer the ultimate shadow stock over the EW.

I can see no beauty in plastic. I can just barely accept laminated wood, but c'mon, it's plywood. My model 70 wears walnut. As long as I have a choice, I wouldn't have it otherwise. There are better gun care products now than there ever have been. Walnut. Now more than ever. We all may have to live and work in the 21st century; but when I leave town for the hills to hunt, I try to take refuge from it. Wooden stocked rifles have taken game in the worst of weather for centuries. But let each of choose what we prefer.

Regarding going with turnbolt - you have chosen..... wisely. A turnbolt is just the cat's meow in a field/hunting rifle, in my view - the perfect balance of weight, accuracy, strength, extraction power, reliability, ease of cleaning, and versatility.

• Winchester Model 70; either Extreme Weather SS or Ultimate Shadow SS (I prefer the stock on the Extreme Weather SS but I'd rather the non-fluted barrel of the Ultimate Shadow SS

Regardless of model, I'm a huge fan of new FN-made Win 70s. Keep this high on the list. I believe the "controlled round push feed" really is the best of both worlds as they claim.

• Sako 85; Hunter Laminated Stainless, Varmint Laminated Stainless or Synthetic Stainless (though the price is stretching it and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the detachable box magazine)

Also a great choice. Among your choices, I'd put this at #1.

• Ruger M77 Hawkeye; Predator, Varmint Target, Laminate Compact or All-Weather

Built very well. Has a 3-position safety like the Win 70. Don't know much about them beyond that. Some have said they're less likely to be tack-drivers than some other premium brands - more of a chance of a mediocre shooter, some say.

• A high-end stainless steel Remington 700 (no idea which models are considered high-end though)

Go here and take a gander at the many models of the 700 (some there are shown as discontinued, but most are not):
http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-700.aspx
The high MSRP ones are the high-end. :D Roughly equates to feature set desirability.
Take a look at the "CDL-SF" for starters. For a real weather warrior, take a good look at the "Mountain SS" - quality non-wood stock, SS metal, and is offered in both .308 and .30-06. Many other options there aren't offered in .308. Rem does not have nearly as many model options as they did just 5 years again. The competition is beastly in turnbolts.

• Zastava M70 PSS (if I could find one here in Canada)

Sorry, don't know anything about them.

1. Can a detachable box magazine be converted to a hinged floorplate magazine and vice versa?

With money all things are possible. But as mentioned, the ease/cost depends on specific brand and which direction you're going - what are you thinking of specifically? I would strongly recommend against a detachable mag and in favor of a hinged floorplate.

2. In general, is installing an aftermarket stock a difficult process?

Depends. Major brand, no - it's easy (Win 70, Rem 700, Rem 7, Browning A-Bolt, Ruger 77, Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500, Weatherby Mark V, CZ 550). Typically just drop in, but depending on stock, might need inletting or finishing, and as always, may need some bedding work to make it shoot. Without a major brand/model, it's only difficult in the sense that it may be hard to find one to buy that fits it.

In the end, if you go with Sako, you'll have pride of ownership and quite likely a tack driver (rifles of any brand are ultimately, inevitably, crapshoots to some extent, on that issue). I'd get the Sako and be done with it. Unless a specific model 70 Win set of features appeals to you more. There are many varieties of each, as you know.

Last edited:
Back