• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Search (since I could not use "Search") :)

DC-
Thought about it. Unfortunately, I don't archive old versions (I'll start) and we're so close to the new release with 5.39 in Beta, I'm hesitant.

There have been some major changes in the last revisions, including the way Member and Topic files are written and accessed...I'd hate to loose it all.
Rich

[Incredibly crass and ill tempered post deleted]

This is what I love.

Just because you don't see anything, does that mean that the problem isn't there? It's kind of like Y2K, problems you never saw coming wind up blindsiding you.

DC, I have more experience with this software than you do. So, when I say there are problems, maybe you can take me at my word.

Also, I don't just keep the site online, I keep the whole server online, and run a busier site myself, as well as helping out here. Just because all my time isn't spent posting, doesn't mean that I'm sitting here drinking margaritas.

Reality check:
Nothing is perfect.
This site is free, you aren't paying for this service.
We're working on the problems.
I check the UBB site daily for bugfixes and upgrades.
I'm even beta testing the next version of the software, to help find as many bugs as possible.

Oh, and btw, downgrading to an older version of the software isn't possible because often times they aren't backwards compatible.

Not only am I aware that there are problems, but I've already forwarded them on. See the version number at the bottom of BladeForums.com? It says 5.39 BETA #4, which means that the previous 3 beta's had problems. That means that I've already been working on figuring out the potential problems and trying to fix them so that you don't even have to see them in the first place.

Instead of fighting me, you'd be better off moving on to something else. All you are doing is wasting energy and my time, which quite frankly is better spent hunting down bugs.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

[This message has been edited by Spark (edited September 09, 1999).]

Oh my...a beta tester!

Anyone who ran the first few versions of Windows '95 was a beta tester Spark; so let's keep things in proper perspective ;).
You are in the same boat as I am..to whit...waiting for someone to give you something that works; you don't write the program...therefore it is absurd for you to interject yourself personally and take offense at general grousing. No one addressed you personally nor said you weren't doing your job...this wasn't about Spark until Spark artificially made it about him.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I
have to deal with posters who feel that they just can't wait any
longer for it without having their world irrevocably damaged or other
such earth shaking issues.[/quote]....this I'll comment: as a sys-op/server-op it is irrelevent to your job what the particular sites content is about..be it knives, guns, Rosie O'Donnell recipes, Barbie Doll collecting, ad nauseum. Information and retrieval of information is extremely relevent to my job on TFL and in the performance of my job. Thus a working search function has no effect on your job....it does on mine. This site/software may be free as you notably pointed out...but you get paid, you have quite a few perks; I don't....all I want is to be able to do my job. So let's not get into a pissing contest about who's job is more important and valuable and who is whining....they are not comparable; and until UBB delivers a working search function to you, you are just as helpless as I am...so check your ego and stop making this personal

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

I do see that the "today's active topics" is working. That is a very good start.
Sysop etc. I can't comment on. Learning CL on AS 400 while doing my real job.
Hank

[Virtual rassberry]

I'll take the high road here and bow out gracefully, because there's nothing obviously to be gained by continuing this argument, other than arguing for argument's sake.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Ya, know... If the search function was working, maybe the people that are asking this same question over and over could look up the answer for themselves <Evil Grin>

Oh! thats right. But, if the search function was working, they wouldn't have to ask about it in the first place.

(Ducking and Running for cover) :)

Chuck

[This message has been edited by chucko (edited September 10, 1999).]

Well, this thread should have been locked some time ago. However, Spark and DC go back a long way, so I was hoping they'd work it out in private.

This they have evidently done. However, we'll keep the thread open as an example of an unacceptable exchange.

Thanks to DC for moving past this. Thanks to Spark for forwarding a copy of the Beta program. If the new release is not available by Sunday, the Beta will be installed by Monday.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited September 10, 1999).]

I've been wondering when this issue was going to boil over here at TFL. It's provided some very entertaining reading.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Back