• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Search shutdown?

It's being reindexed. I started about 2AM in hopes of not disturbing the Board. With 20,000,000+ search items (yeah, I was surprised too!), it was about 4/5ths done at noon today when the server crashed due to disk space problems. I've resolved that and will attempt a re-index this PM.
Rich

Thanks Rich

And if you didn't already know you guys are doing one heck of a job with this board, and SWAT magazine.

Keep it up

Yes, thanks Rich. NO matter how much curmugeoning I do... :) This is a great place and my favorite resource on the web... other than my sites of course... :lol

Rich, any word on status of the servers?

The search feature/find new posts link is still coming up "turned off by admin".

Yup-
Started it again today...lost connection halfway thru and it crashed. Just restarted now. Perhaps by morning. It really is a long process, unless we shut the board down for about 10 hours.
Rich

This is disheartening. I am trying to do research for my next gun and I feel like a ship tossed about on the sea without my TFL archive resources.

BTW, I think this points to the incredible benefits the community of firearm enthusiasts receives from this site. If we don't say thanks often enough, its only because we have come to take the great folks, information, and service for granted. It is nonetheless greatly appreciated.

Came in to check on the status of the search function - I understand and will be patient. But I also had to post to "ditto" the sentiment's of support from those above!

Relating to the reindexing, one option is to review history, determine time when least impact on over-all users, notify in advance, take database off-line with notice of expected return, and then re-index.

Sure would like to do a search. I enjoy TFL, BTW.

So thats what happened to it. finally wandered to this forum to check out why. It must be a pain in the butt to have it keep crashing on you like that.:( (I need to search for some sks info,whats it worth I got it as a tip for a guy I worked for!)...

We appreciate all your frustration and work to keep it going!!:)

Guys-
It just keeps crashing. It really is a *huge* file. I know it can be done, but it requires my PC/Internet connection to stay up long enough. I've tried doing it in several screens, each with a smaller piece of the file....the server goes ballistic.

I just restarted again. With luck- noon tomorrow. Know that we all miss the function and we're doing everything possible to bring it back up.
Rich

Thanks Rich. Personally, I think it must be a HCI conspiracy. I mean if we never got to do research on guns at TFL again, firearms sales would plummet across the country.

I'm beginning to think it's a plot by the antis. Your internet connection keeps dropping out,

gunsamerica and 1911 forum are both down with a 403 error.

Are we under attack by a virus or million mom hackers:rolleyes:

Seriously, Rich I know you're doing your best. We have been experiencing a variety of server problems at my job. I know how frustrated you must be. We appreciate all your hard work on this.

Thanks Rich. Personally, I think it must be a HCI conspiracy. I mean if we never got to do research on guns at TFL again, firearms sales would plummet across the country.

Oh contrare Senor Jock. It just means we would all have to buy a gun we had questions on to see if its worth it. In doubt? Buy it!!!

I want to join the chorus saying this a great board, and you guys do a great job in running it.

I am in favor of going down 10 hours if it will get the Search function back.
That is probably the most useful function when you are considering a new purchase.

Flip the switch on this puppy!

:cool:
JP

Back