Scratch a .223 "itch"

Scratched my .223 "itch".

Gave up on the Ruger Gun Site Scout rifle. It was a Cadillac when all I needed was a Chevy. Found a brand new Savage Model 11 Hog Rifle, in .223, for $400 "OTD". Meets my needs with an adjustable iron sight. I hear they are quite accurate as well. And,--- if the Hearing Protection Bill IS passed, it comes with a threaded end cap. Thanks for all the inputs. I'm a hand gun guy and these long "fire sticks" are a new proposition.

I take it by this last post you went with the Savage? I think you'll enjoy that one, I was/am looking at a Savage myself (later in the year). My brother has 2 and can't say enough about the AccuTrigger. If you HADN'T bought it yet, I would also say check out the Mossberg MVP. I know several folks mentioned it earlier. I don't have personal experience, but glancing around the internet yields a goodly amount of positive reviews. Their Patrol rifle comes with a pic rail, iron sights, threaded muzzle, and it takes AR mags. I know that you've kind of given up on that, but if you wanted something that has all of your original criteria, that would be my choice. I've read countless great reviews on the CZ though, so if you go that route, I think you'll also be pleased. If your LGS refuses to get that in for you, I would try somewhere else; though I understand if you want to stick with them. I love my LGS, they've received all of our (my and my gf's) business because they are not pushy, they have great prices, and are very willing to find/look up whatever I ask them to. Haven't found anything yet they can't get in.

PlatinumCore16

Yes, I went with the Savage model 11 Hog Hunter in .223. I lingered a while before committing. The price was $450. I waited and looked more. The seller offered it at $425 which I felt was a fair price. I lingered a while longer and the price fell to $400. I felt compelled to purchase. Now, I have a bit of buyer's remorse. I think the Mossberg MVP may have been the better model to choose. I find the Savage a bit cumbersome to load. I am used to a Mosin Nagant, 303 British and SKS with the easily loaded magazines. And, while very usable, especially the front sight, the adjustable rear sight is not nearly as good as I found on the Ruger Scout. But, I'm new to rifles such as this and will learn. Perhaps (and I am reading the Savage Shooter Forums) I can "customize" it to my liking. I would like a better rear sight. And, of course, a good glass in the future. Maybe this Savage can even be modified to take an AR style magazine? It will only be a paper-puncher. The Savage "Scout" is way overpriced in comparison to this Hog Hunter model. Thanks for the reply.

I agree with the pricing. The scout, whilst I think I'll be getting one, is not any more rifle than you get with the hog hunter. It's just got the word "scout" in the title. If it's the same as all the other Savage actions though, it should probably have the holes for the scope bases. If you wanted, you could probably buy the rear peep sight for the scout model and put that on your hog hunter instead of the rear leaf sight. At that point if you wanted to go whole hog (lol hog hunter) you could even buy the forward rail from Savage and slap that on there. Or just use the normal scope bases and mount a regular scope.

You definitely have some options.

Back