Scratch a .223 "itch"

PolarFBear

Gents, I have perused this forum over many dozen posts. Still can't zero in on an answer. My goal: a .223 bolt action, fixed sights (I will add glass later or as needed), AR magazine fed rifle for "plinking", target shooting and maybe, but a long maybe, taking out some very occasional varmint. I am not a hunter. The Ruger Scout model almost fills the bill, and it feels "right". But, I am put off by the Ruger proprietary magazine at $80 a pop (and the Ruger is not so cheap either!) I suppose I could accept an inexpensive used rifle with all the specs except the detachable mag. I am mostly a hand gunner so please keep the abbreviations and "rifle-speak" to a minimum; I'm still learning. I do have a .223 Colt HBAR and Ruger Mini-14 in the safe and want to keep the ammo the same.

You could get the Mossberg MVP in .223/5.56. It would meet every thing you want except for iron sights. However, I'm sure any competent gun smith could install iron sights for you.

Mossberg mvp some models have fixed sights, and they feed from ar 15 mags.

If the magazines were not a big deal that would open up a lot more options though.

To Surveyor

AR mags are not absolutely mandatory, just very highly desired. That is why I could consider an older, used wooden stocked model. I looked at the MVP as well but it has a flute in a most inconvenient place, right down the center line of the barrel. The gunsmith at the LGS said it would be tough to fit a front sight. I am not in anyway competent in "sights" so I took him at his word. Thanks for the inputs so far.

Looks like the scout and patrol models have sights in the mvp line, other models do not.

Last edited:
If you are willing to eliminate the AR mag requirement the field opens up greatly. If yiu don't have an AR already I don't honestly see a need for a bolt gun that takes AR mags, for me it would actually be a detriment but that is just me.

sights

As noted by others, some models of the MVP (Patrol) have adjustable iron sights (your initial post says "fixed", but I am figuring you mean adjustable) that contain fiber optics I think. No need to whittle on a fluted barrel.

I have to wonder why your local store gunsmith didn't know about those models? The MVP and its options have been on the market for several years now. If they can't get you one, find somebody that can.

I have the Ruger in .308 and my friend has one in .223. I like the 5 rd. mag in mine as I use it for hunting more than anything else. The biggest problem as I see it with their .223 is not only the cost of a mag, but the lack of a 5 rounder. Shooting it from a bench with a long mag hanging out of it is more of a hindrance than a positive point as far as I'm concerned. He has called Ruger and they don't really seem to care either way. Surprising to me...

The Ruger GSS uses Accuracy International magazines.
Not proprietary. Just expensive.

Regardless...

For your intended uses, detachable magazines seems like a waste of time.

Just find a rifle that meets your needs (minus detachable mags), fits you reasonably well, and will get the job done.

It's a bolt-action, not an AR. You don't need a 30-round magazine hanging off the bottom.

The Mossberg MVP Predator rifle is a great one, no iron sights but really handy and fun with something like a simple Burris 2-7x scope mounted.

You could always go for a mini-14 if your looking for .223 iron sight fun :)

Good luck and I hope you find something to scratch that itch.

Forget about irons. The military doesn't even use them anymore on their rifles. I wouldn't be concerned about using AR magazines either. You are painting yourself into a corner with virtually no good options to choose from in order to get features that don't matter.

What you do want is a fast twist barrel of 8:1 or so in order to shoot longer bullets well. Once you figure out which features are really important you'll find several good options.

For around $400 I'd buy one of the Ruger Americans and put a $200 scope on it. Either the Predator or Ranch rifle depending on how much barrel you want. In 223/5.56 I'd take the Ranch rifle and add a muzzle break.

I will add the CZ 527 Carbine in 223 to the Ruger for consideration. Look it up and see if it suits you. More traditional than the Ruger. I dont think that matters to you. It is short, light, has iron sights and comes with rings.

If you can handle iron sights, it greatly expands your options for a light fast handling gun. I say expand, I dont mean expand as in more choices. I mean as in the final result. I been disappointed more than once to buy a rifle and then after all the crap is loaded on it is too heavy. If not too heavy, it has a whole different feel. I like scopes, but; they do have a down side.

Only rarely will I find something I want at a price I am willing to give. Found a rifle one time and when I looked at the price I asked what he could order a brand new one for me at. $10 less than the used one, when I questioned that he said, we will sell it with no problem. OK but not to me.

Cz 527 fits the bill nicely. But I like the Ruger American idea best. I have one in .270, I know others who have .300 blackout and .308. the Ruger American is the most accurate budget rifle I have ever seen, and they have a removable magazine that doesn't hang down. Also, it would be easy to put irons on it if you want, then use lower 1/2 - 1/3 look through rings for a scope making the irons usable with scope attached.

Damn, maybe I'll set one up for myself !

You could always go for a mini-14 if your looking for .223 iron sight fun

OP says he has an AR and a Mini-14 in post #1.

Of all the rifles mentioned the CZ would be my choice. I really like iron sights on my rifles. If you can let go of the AR mag requirement there are older bolt rifles with open sights on them. Maybe look for an older Remington model 700 or the model 7 in 223.

Also Howa makes a nice 223 and now has the mini action in that caliber. They also offer extended mags for them. No open sights but the prices are reasonable and as mention open sights can be added.

Last edited:
Fellow shooters; thanks for all the replies. Still haven't settled on a new/used rifle. I guess I can forego the AR mags. Just wanted to keep a compatabilty with my AR. Then I realized the Mini-14 does not use an AR compatible magazine. So now I'm searching for a CZ. Don't know much about them they are scarce in NE TN. Did run across a Remington 700 heavy barrel "tactical" for a $1,000 on ArmsList. I just don't lean toward "tactical" items and the price seemed a bit steep. And, it did not have iron sights which I wiil NOT forego. My search continues with a turn to CZ. That Ruger American looks like a deal. Maybe I can find a used one even lower in $$.

More specifically:
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

I have the 527 .223 VARMINT. Things in common are the action, magazine, and trigger. The action is fine, the trigger is great, and the magazines are fine as well.

Another thing, the CZ is a European .223 REM which is the same spec as 5.56 NATO, so you can shoot any 5.56 ammo in the CZ 527.

I emailed CZ and verified the 5.56 aspect and since then they have added it to their rifle descriptions.

"Our .223s will happily eat 5.56, since CIP doesn’t differentiate between the two cartridges and just has the higher pressure as its standard. "

Back