Scout rifles again (sorry)

Futo Inu:
All right, I'll budge! Yes, if I knew that I could only have ONE rifle, no more, for the rest of my life, of course I'd take a loan on my truck and max the credit cards for a super-duper do ANYTHING ultralight that held sub- .5 MOA accuracy and could be equally pressed into combat or slaying dangerous wild game in thick brush.

But I don't have to! (yet)

For the record, the closest I have to a match-accurate rifle is my .75 MOA .300 Win Mag Sendero, which I foolishly treat like a Mountain Rifle by trundling it and its 50mm 4X12 scope (~10.5 lbs +) up and down the mountains of Colorado.

I believe that the Cooper-defined Scout Rifle concept has but one flaw:

The scope's reticle. Big 'n coarse may be nice for those offhand snap shots at the AK-47 being full-auto fired from around the corner of a tree at you from 100 meters (operator hiding out of sight, of course), but it doesn't sound too workable for the 300 meter shot part of the mission capabilities.

Why not put a Steyr AUG-style "donut" reticle at the intersection of the cross-hairs? The rangefinding _AND_ bullet-drop compensation capabilities of the donut would allow far greater target discernment and more precise application of the loose 2 MOA or so accuracy capability.

Whaddyaguys&gals think?

BTW, I have tried the AUG and I liked it. A lot. College got in the way, then King George Bush banned future imports of what I planned to use as an NRA Match Rifle in highpower competition.

I must agree, but I think the answer is the Duplex reticle with 1 to 0.5 MOA hairs on the very center. I'd set it so that the rest of the crosshairs (3 MOA or larger) accounted for about 90% or more of the reticle.

You can do some surprisingly good work with such a setup, even when it's too dark to make out the center fine crosshairs. I have often shot some 1 MOA groups as my "final shots" on days when I just couldn't drag myself away from the range until after dark, and was completely unable to see the fine crosshairs on my rifle's duplex reticle, but centered the target (fuzzy white field) between the coarse hairs. I've even bagged a deer this way on an overcast evening just before the end of the legal shooting day.

Most of the time, we don't need as fine of crosshairs as we want; we can actually shoot as well with coarse. But when the target is so far away as to be occluded by the coarse hairs, it will fit in the tiny area of the fine hairs.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited August 24, 1999).]

Longpath:

HA! I got you to budge. But now I've been convinced that the two concepts cannot be reconciled due to the reasons mentioned above(low power optics of the scout).

The optics on the Leupold Scout are just fine to ranges out PAST 300 yards!

I don't have a Scout, but I have a Scout Scope mounted on my Ruger #1 in 7mm Mauser. The Scout is a perfect scope for the #1 by the way since traditional scopes hang over the loading port.
Anyway, I've shot deer at ranges up to 300 yards and a caribou at a paced 355 yards - perfect point of shoulder shot. You don't need to put a bullet in an animals eye, you merely have to put it through his lungs and heart. You don't need a high power scope to do that.
Infantrymen in days past were expected to shoot with iron sights at greater ranges than that. People are shooting steel plates with open sights at ranges up 1000 yards in Black Powder Cartridge matches!
After shooting the Scout, I'll never own another 3x9 scope. The magnification is a waste in field shooting, even a drawback since with high magnification you tend to see every slightest motion of the rifle. With a lower power scope you just throw the cross hairs on the animal and "bang". It falls over.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back