scopes ?

FWIW, I'm completely happy with my Primary Arms 1-6 X 20. Unless you're hunting varmints at 300 yds it covers everything from CQB to fairly precision 300-yd shooting. :cool:

the problem I have with the prostaff 5 4.5-18 is that the BDC reticule is too thick and covers the target, also when sighted in at 18 power the POI changes when I change power setting. The problem with the prostaff 4-12 is that there is no a parallax adjustment and at 100 yds everything is fine but at any other range either the BDC or the target is blurred. For the time being I am back to using my Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC. From 50 to 300 yds the BDC and target are both sharp and clear. I am guessing that anything over 9 power needs an adjustable parallax

depends

Depends alot on what type of rifle, and what you'll be shooting at. And....I'll say right up front, unless the rifle is a dedicated heavy varminter or match type (F-T/R) rifle, I'm not a fan of a lot of X power past 12 on hunting rifle. While I'm at it, it seems these days that the 4-12x, and the 3.5-10x, is quickly replacing the 3-9x as the GP hunting scope in my neck of the woods.

BAck to my objections to big glass. One reason is size and bulk. I've got a Burris XTR 6-24x on a match rifle, (.30) but the thing is akin to the Palomar telescope and would be all out of place on an AR carbine, or my tidy Mini-Mauser. And the more X you have cranked in, the more you need some type of support to shoot from or the perceived wobbles will drive you nuts. Thus either a bipod is attached (more weight and bulk) or one begins to get limited in how and where you shoot the rifle (or you dork with the scope).

I'll give a +1 to the low end variables on the AR carbnines. A 1-4x, or, a 1.5-5x, works really well for me and bamaboy on an AR carbine, both in 3 gun, and knocking around the back 40. I put a fixed 6x on the mini-mauser, but honestly, it is NOT enough X power for it and the intended smaller pest type targets out to the rifles max range, so the little bolt rifle is getting a 3x9x40 in the immediate near future. A compact model would be ideal, or even a model with 36mm bell, but the 40mm is on hand.

If I were setting up some type of urban counter sniper, or DMR rifle, say for an SO or PD, I might consider a fixed 6x with turrets, and a piggyback or offset dot for up close. Not really my baliwick though.

As a general rule, the bigger the rifle, the more willing I am to clamp on a bigger scope, but I do not want to spoil a tidy, portable rifle, with a huge telescope.

Back