scopes ?

Almost too many options and just as many opinions. I have a Leupold VXII 6-18 on my 223, and it's fine. That said, if I was gonna buy something new just for hunting, I suppose I'd go with a Leupold 4.5-14 or a high quality 4-16. I have a 6.5-20 on my 220 Swift and I'm sure fond of it, and I used it this morning on a coyote at 80 yards. If you want or need turrets, my Vortex PST FFP in 4-16 is a good option. I like it. Burris has some new scopes that look interesting and I might try one of them. And if I could make myself spend the big bucks, a 5-20 variable might be nice. Geez, too many options...

When you do pick one, let us know what you got.

I have a Nikon prostaff 3-9 x 40 but am not really all that impressed with it. Its ok but not as clear and sharp as others I looked at. I also have a Leupold rifleman 3-9 x 40 and am not all that happy with it, its just ok, so so. I want something brighter and sharper. Maybe a 4-18 in a better scope. Would like to stay under 500.00

Well, that VXII 6-18x40 has been a good scope and I think is somewhere close to your target price, and that scope replaced a 4-16 Nikon Monarch. I never liked the Nikon. Also I have a Burris 4.5-14 Fullfield II that was only $300. Trust me that it's a lot of scope for the money. I'd see what Burris offers in your price range. Or, step up to the Leupold VX3 in 4.5-14. I have one of those too, and am real fond of it. If you need turrets, then look to Vortex and maybe to Burris, who has a long list of new scopes that look interesting and are reasonably priced.

On my AR's I prefer Leupold 1-4X20's. At 1X the FOV is huge and it is easier and faster to get on target with anything including iron sights. 4X gives me enough magnification for hits on deer, or human size targets out to at least 300-400 yards.

On my bolt rifle I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9X40. A little more magnification. I don't think it offers any more effective range, but the greater magnification makes hitting smaller targets easier.

As to brand, Leupold VX1 or VX-2 are my preference although the Redfield Revloution or Burris FF-II are very good and a little less expensive. There are other brands that are decent scopes, but these 3 have the features that are most important to me and at reasonable prices.

I recommend a Leupold 6.5x20 . It's a prevalent model, excellent scope & with Leupold's warranty I wouldn't be shy of buying used. I have 4 of them! The only scope I have that is better (in all regards) is a Pentax 6x24 Lightseeker. Note the name as Pentax also makes a "Gameseeker" model, which isn't even close in quality. When I bought the Lightseeker it was $100 less than the Leupold. I'm not sure if they still are available, but I haven't seen any Lightseekers lately(?)

A good clear scope is a real joy!

IMHO...

...bug

Last edited:
I will give a +1(00000) to the 1-4 thing. A good 1-4 or 1-6 can be had for $300-$600 new. They can be had weighing 13-14 oz. And they are fast. I just shot a 4" 300m group this morning with an FAL with my viper PST. From prone with a bipod.

But if you are shooting prairie dogs or soda cans past 100 yards, 1-4 will leave you wanting more power.

I prefer to have at least a 14x out to 300, but have done it with a 9x just fine for a couple years

whats you price range? be real, if your low on $$ there are decent scopes to be had under 200$. but if you can pony up over 350 you can get a really nice piece. is this for hunting or target?

I am looking at a Nikon Prostaff 5 4.5-18 x 40 BDC for 330.00 plus tax.Does anyone have one that can tell me about it ?

I have 16 sporting bolt action rifles, in the rack that I use for hunting, & informal bench use... half are short action, half are long or magnum actions... most wear 4-12X scopes

scopes those rifles wear ( in order of quantity of scopes )

Burris ( 3 of them are the 4.5 - 12X Preditor Quest ) ( 6 total )
Luepold ( most are vari X 3's ) (4 total )
Nikon ( all Prostaff 5's ) ( 3 total )
1- Redfield 4 - 12X
1- Vortex Crossfire 4.5 - 16x
1- Weaver 4 - 12X

I can't say I have shot the exact Nikon you are speaking of, but have used a lot of prostaffs of different magnifications and all have been nice

mine are older ( before they went to 18X ) & the 5's just had a better "quality feel" looking at the listed data on Midway's website, the 5's now have the 18X magnification & the regulars have 14X ( my 3 - 5's were all 14X, when I bought them last year ) also noted... the 5's are parallax adjustable, & the regular Prostaff's do not have parallax adjustment

here are the descriptions of both, from Midway's site...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1320395404/nikon-prostaff-rifle-scope-4-12x-40mm-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1320170431/nikon-prostaff-5-rifle-scope-45-18x-40mm-matte

that would be hard to say... without looking through both in a low light situation...

I usually look at exit pupil size, ( which is normally bigger at the lower magnifications ) since the power range is different 4-14 & 4.5-18, the exit pupil sizes are also different... if the lens sizes are the same, & basic construction matches, I'd suspect that the regular Prostaff would be brighter, because at the lowest power setting, it's only 4X & has a larger diameter exit pupil... if you were comparing matching powers... ( say 9X on both scopes ) there is not enough info presented to tell, short of looking through each...

I bought the prostaff 5 4.5 - 18 x 40 from wally world for $330.00 plus tax. Iam nopt sure I like it because the BDC reticle is quite a bit thicker than on my 3 - 9 x 40. I use 1" red dots for targets and the 4.5 -18 reticle covers it up. I like the finer reticle in my Nikon 3-9 better.
Why would they make the reticle thicker in the 4.5 - 18 ?

What would I prefer that I cannot afford?

Or what I prefer that I can afford, and thus actually use?

If the latter, I have a Sightron S2, 4.5-14x40 AO on one. I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 on another, that I'd like to upgrade to at least a 3-9x40 or preferably a 4-14ish.

Back