scope's what's a good one for bullseye

Scope for bullseye

The standard bearer at Camp Perry is the UltraDot Match Dot. It's a no-power dot either 1" or 30mm in width. Its about 190 bucks. Its basically a "hardened" red-dot capable of withstanding recoil if mounted directly to the slide of a .45 and has variable sized dots and variable light intensity. 2, 4, 6, 8 MOA dots. MOA means minute of angle and translates into 2, 4, 6, 8 inches at 100 yards. At 50 yards, dots would appear to be 1, 2, 3, and 4 inches wide

For .22s, just about any red-dot would work becuase the scope doesn't actually move with a recoiling slide. The recoil of the 22 is so light that even a cheapo sight would probably keep zero. I've used barska, tasco red dots and both worked better than I was capable of holding. I've seen some reflex sights on the line too. My boss used one from Osprey International / AimShot and actually placed at Camp Perry using it (third best Marksman Civilian this year at Perry). He splurged on an UltraDot this year for his .22 once he convinced himself he could be a serious contender at a higher level.

If you want a capable reflex sight, I think he is selling his old one for like $45 bucks. Let me know...

Thanks for thye info Jessica, I just got a Barska 2x red dot. Looks great, but is a little bulky. I have it mounted on my .357 I want to see if it can handle the recoil. The .357 took out a BSA red dot. :eek: If it works out. I might get a smaller one for the Walther.:D

Sorry if I sound nuts but I am new to this.

What sort of results should i expect with the following.

A Sig P229 with a .22 barrel conversion...( like P226 conversion ).

Sig P229 with Ultradot match scope.

Buck mark with & 7 inch barrel with scope
or

High Standard or S & W M41 with 7 inch barrel and scope.

I thought that using the P229 with the conversion would help my gun handling but using same gun for USPSA....and save a few dollars.

Am I in for disappointment..???

What suggestions

scope's what's a good REASONABLE scope. Not a cheap one, but a good one for bullseye target shooting. I just got into the sport and want to get better. I have a Walther p22. That you can put a weaver scope mount on. But have no clue what would be a good scope.

I'm assuming you are talking about Bullseye Pistol, as in 2700 & such.

If you get into bullseye, you're gonna want to work on your Distinguished pistol badge (EIC) matches. Iron sights are required in these matches. Stay away from scopes, aimpoints & such until you get your badge.

After, I think you will find the Aimpoint sights are what most use. But the first thing you need to do is get the rules for Bullseye pistol shooting. They can get restrictive on optics.

If you are serious about Bullseye pistol shooting , pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the USAMU Pistol Marksmanship Guide on .pdf file. This is the best book you can get on bullseye shooting AND ITS FREE.

I think you will enjoy bullseye, there is no better venue for learning pistol marksmanship fundamentals unless its ISU pistol shooting.

SCH wrote
Sorry if I sound nuts but I am new to this.

What sort of results should i expect with the following.

A Sig P229 with a .22 barrel conversion...( like P226 conversion ).

Sig P229 with Ultradot match scope.

Buck mark with & 7 inch barrel with scope
or

High Standard or S & W M41 with 7 inch barrel and scope.

I thought that using the P229 with the conversion would help my gun handling but using same gun for USPSA....and save a few dollars.

Am I in for disappointment..???

What suggestions

SCH, I'm not familiar with the P229, so I'll forebear to comment on that one, EXCEPT to say that you can use a trigger with a two pound pull weight in .22 competition and unless your Sig trigger is VERY good, you'll probably just develop bad habits that you'll later have to break.

The BuckMark really is a decent introductory-level pistol for target shooting, and a helluva plinker to be sure. My Buck Mark Hunter has the 7.25" barrel, and I shot Bullseye with it with iron sights for about a year before I upgraded. There's an active community on BuckMark fans on rimfirecentral with a gazillion things a reasonably handy person can do him-or-herself (at v-e-r-y low cost) to make the gun better. IF you're going to put on a red dot, get a 5" barrel - that's plenty accurate, and the only real reason for having a longer barrel is to increase the distance between the front and rear sight. You're not using the sights so it'll just make the gun front heavy.

Both the S&W 41 and the High Standard (especially the Victor version) are conpetition grade pistols. In fact, the High Standard is the ONLY American made pistol to win in an Olympics competition.

Again, if you're going with a red dot, skip the heavier barrel, you don't need it.

All the best,
Rob

Back