Scopes at short range?

Do a thorough search on the scout rifle concept and the scopes that go with it.

My one experience with a low power, long or extended eye relief, scope on a rifle was on a group rabbit hunt in western Utah. In a large group of hunters with more rifles than hunters, there was a great deal of gun swapping. We saw a few (very few) cottontails, mostly jack rabbits (jacks, once flushed, are running for distance, zigzagging all the way.) The unquestionable darling of the hunt, despite the presence of the likes of Anschutz sporters and even a Winchester Model 52, was a Ruger 10/22 with a 2x pistol scope in a kludge mount forward of the action. Getting up and on target on a jack with that combo was more like shotgunning than rifle work. A low range EER variable, if you can find a satisfactory mount, should do the trick.

Post #33 Response

I'd like to raise an issue related to what that post says.
I know a guy that seems to prefer high power rifles and high power scopes. However, I can say that he has been in situations where deer presented themselves at 20 feet, 30 feet and 80 feet in the woods. Clearly shotgun range and fast point shooting as well. Don't have the time it takes to focus on a reticle and find the deer in the optics. Don't have the distance or the need for the optics. Don't have the need for the rifle either. Seems to me the guy I know should carry an iron sighted 30-30 or 12ga slug gun instead.

I'd like to raise an issue related to what that post says.
I know a guy that seems to prefer high power rifles and high power scopes. However, I can say that he has been in situations where deer presented themselves at 20 feet, 30 feet and 80 feet in the woods. Clearly shotgun range and fast point shooting as well. Don't have the time it takes to focus on a reticle and find the deer in the optics. Don't have the distance or the need for the optics. Don't have the need for the rifle either. Seems to me the guy I know should carry an iron sighted 30-30 or 12ga slug gun instead.

I know a guy this..... Seems to me that......

You're fairly knew and that's all right. But you know not what you speak. With the right scope set up there is no focusing, there is no finding the deer in the optics. They are just there. Go back and reread. Magnification is not the advantage to fast and accurate shooting. Too much is in fact a bad thing. But the right scope is always faster. If it wasn't you wouldn't see the unlimited race/competition shooters using them and neither would I.

Picture is worth a thousand words.... Don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Opening day 2013. All killed with scoped 10/22's. Most at a run, ranges of 5 feet to 30 yards.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385953888771.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385953888771.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back