Scope sighting question

(1) Count the total number of clicks that the scope has for windage and elevation. Dial to the stop and dial back 1/2 the count. That puts the cross hairs in the center of the tube.

(2) On this next step Im thinking bolt action. I'll skip this for now though it can be done with a certain 90deg sighting insert for the M style receivers.

(2.5) I don't adjust my scope using the turret adjustments initially. I adjust the scope itself. Burris makes a set of mounts that has offset rings that fit inside the ring frame itself. Leupold has mounts that adjust windage and for elevation I use metal shims either front or rear. shoot a round at 100 and move the scope using the offset inserts or shim to get as close as you can. I can usually bring it to within an inch maybe a little more depends. Lets assume you have the patients to get this far and your liking what you see for this crude adjustment.

(3) If you want to skip (2.5) there is still a quick way to get the job done. You should lap the rings it really will save you from bending the tube, you must be sure the rings are VERY aligned. Most often this is overlooked and should not be. Using a length of delrin (1" or what ever rings size you are using snug the rings on the delrin ) and some lapping compound fine align the rings by dusting off the high spots using back and forth strokes and rotations (there are almost always some kind of mis-aligning element inside the rings). That done let do the fun thing, dont take out material usually only a slight dusting is necessary

(5) At 25yds or 100yds with the gun rested and centered on the bull fire a shot. Now realign the rifle cross hair dead center on the bull and adjust windage and elevation so your cross hairs move to the point of impact, your next shot will be right on. I can usually sight in with 2 maybe on occasion 3 shots total.

(6) when you focus your scope aim at the blue sky and adjust the optical ring until the cross hairs are crisp this is the only focus adjust you should need to make.

(7) If you are using a scope with an A.O. you will discover the reference numbers are just that and probably not exact meaning look at the bull say at 100yds. Rock your head slightly up and down and watch the cross hairs move around annoyingly. Dial your AO to infinity then back toward toward the 100yd mark rocking your head until the cross hairs are rigid. You have now eliminated any parallax error and maybe the number is at the 100 yd mark maybe not it doesnt matter the error is gone. do this when you shoot a another know distance and the scope will focus as you adjust the AO and when moving your head watch the crosshair become rigid. Dont worry if the marks are right on they probably wont be. Its when the cross hairs stop "wobbling" that you eliminated the parallax error which is the purpose of the AO its not for range finding.

(8) Back to point (2) for bolt actions. take out the bolt and at 100yds set up a white disc on a black back ground. With the gun in the rest look down the bore and move the rifle rest till the disc is visible in the center of the bore. Your eye will guide you to centering the disc in the center of the muzzle this is an example of parallax correcting itself and you can get the disc right down the center of the bore. Now look through the scope your choice, adjust the scope to align the cross hairs on the disc or use your turrent adjustment to do the same thing. You will find when you fire a shot you'll be very very close and can make an adjustment as in (5) to get right on.

Phewwwwwww did you follow that? Now fire 5 and see what you've accomplished.

I really believe that by getting my hairs and tube centered before any adjust ment makes a difference overall.

Glasses on or glasses off? what ever you like I do best without my glasses on with one scope and on with another, not sure why but I see a difference when I make my parallax adjustment.

The burris rings are a little expensive but they are tits. I love them. They can really make a difference when dialing in the scope without a lot of clicks on your turrents.

I use fine cross hairs for target and hunting but they have their issues for many. Its just a preference.

Last edited:
Back