Scope Recommendations

I have two of my deer rifles, rem LH 700 7mm-08 and a rem 700 LH in .308 and have 2.5x8-36 leupold scopes mounted and they are fine for deer hunting. I shot two prong horns out west, one at 280 yards and one at 310 with the 7mm08 with 120gr nosler bt,s at 3000 fps. both one shot kills.
That's great to hear your success with the 7mm-08 caliber. I've wanted one for awhile now and everything I've read made me feel confident about it's capabilities.

What length barrel is on your 7mm-08? Ik that my rifle is a different manufacturer but what scope ring height are you using with your 36mm objective scope? Right now I'm pretty sure the scope I'm putting on will have an objective of 32mm or 33mm so I'm hoping your ring height will give me a general idea of what height I'll need. For example if you use medium rings I know that I won't need higher then medium, of course there's other things to consider but I need a starting point.

I've always mounted my own scopes unless the rifle came with one mounted but anytime I needed to buy rings I would go into a shop and tell them what rifle/scope and they would give me rings. Unfortunately the place I normally buy my firearm accessories doesn't supply the rings I'm looking for.

This rifle is going to see a lot of time on the range and in the woods so the optic, rings, etc need to be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Better look again. The Trijicon has a 34mm tube and is 25 ounces. That's a pound heavier than the 1" Leupold and is going to make a big difference in carrying and handling. For a lightweight walkabout rifle, I'd check that one off.

Scopes don't "gather" light. They transmit light through the scope and there are several factors to consider. The scopes magnification combined with front objective size determine the diameter of a beam of light that comes out the rear and into the eyes of the shooter. A 40mm objective at 8X will allow the same diameter beam of light through as a 50mm Scope set at 10X. Below 8X both let more light through than the human eye can use.

If looking for a scope with only 8x or 9X on the top end a 50mm scope offers no advantage. And for any magnification above 10X you need to go a lot bigger than 50mm.

With most of the OP's choices topping out at 5X or 6x anything bigger than a 30-36mm lense is a waste. The 2.5-8X36 scope will be somewhat handicapped at 8X, but will allow the same amount of light at 7X with a 36mm objective as a 10X scope with a 50mm lense.

A 50mm scope is only an advantage when set on 10X, and only for 2-3 minutes in the morning and evening.

Quoted for truth.

I used to read all the bs about bigger objectives on scopes not doing any good. Finally bought one for myself to find out.
A 50mm objective lens lets in more than 50% more light than a 40mm, and under some conditions where I have personally tested them, can give you more than 20 minutes more shooting time at sunup and sundown.
I will have to agree with SSA on the 50 mm objective argument

Better look again. The Trijicon has a 34mm tube and is 25 ounces. That's a pound heavier than the 1" Leupold and is going to make a big difference in carrying and handling. For a lightweight walkabout rifle, I'd check that one off.

Quoted for truth.
Wow I didn't even look at the weight on the Trijicon, OUCH!!!! I'm glad you pointed that out, I would of been very disappointed if I would of made that purchase.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've turned down quite a few 30mm scopes that looked great until I saw the weight.

I will have to agree with SSA on the 50 mm objective argument

There is no argument. JMR40 posted the facts. The math doesn't lie. Outside the parameters he outlined, if a 50mm seems brighter, it's either due to a difference in coatings, optical quality or wishful thinking. Not the objective diameter. The idea that huge objective scopes are universally brighter is myth that goes along with the nonsense about light gathering.

Back