Scope recommendations

Glockgreat23,
The Rem 700 (Plain Jane) in .30-06 with fixed 6x Leupold that belonged to my grandpa is the game getter in my safe.
After about 30 years the optical started fogging, sent it back to Leupold and they replaced it with a newer model, still fixed 6x, and it has worked flawlessly for my family.
Cousins take it as 'Backup' and often wind up hunting with it for one reason or another, and I still use it once in a while...
It has been re-barreled once, and still shoots stright & true.

Built before 'Bull Barrels', super duper adjustable stocks, etc., Proving once again the fundamentals count for more than anyone today gives credit for.

I have built & bought more 'Custom' rifles & optics than I can remember, but they come & go because of something I don't like or get bored with, but the old 700 stays...
It just 'Fits', shoots stright, hits hard and puts meat on the table. What more can you ask for?

-----

Anyone that wants to 'Shoot 1,000 Yards', my first advise is always to take proper instruction!
No one, and I mean NO BODY learns to shoot 1,000 yards without an education! PERIOD.
You either take proper instruction from someone that can shoot 1,000 yards AND can teach,
OR,
You spend years & thousands of dollars learning it by the seat of your pants the hard way.

No one learns to drive NASCAR without instruction & coaches,
No one plays in the NBA or NFL without proper coaches & instruction,
Why do you think you can get into the top 0.001% of shooters without an education & coaching?
What kills me is 1,000 yard competition shooters will teach/coach you for little or nothing, happy to have a new 'Range Buddy' along for the ride, and people still won't do it, opting for spending thousands on crap that doesn't work & making for bad habits that are hell to break...

Your dad/grandpa can teach you to shoot common hunting ranges. Mine did that, and I was considered a 'Good Shot' back on the farm, but the Marines taught me how to actually SHOOT, any range, any weather conditions, any terrain, any time, anywhere.
Coached Practice-Coached Practice-Coached Practice, Application, Application, Application...

I will forever be grateful for my grandpa and dad!

Last edited:
I have bought a couple of the Bushnell Legend HD scopes recently . One a 1.75-5 X 32 , the other a 3 - 9 X 40 . Both are clear and crisp , have Rainguard coated lenses , and hold zero just fine , mounted on a 7mm-08 , and a 30-06 Pump , respectively ! You can buy yourself some ammo , and a wallet , with the money left over !

Back