Scope or rifle. How do I know

This is my deer rifle so it only gets out of the safe when I get drawn for deer. But I noticed that last two years when I go to range to make sure everything is good before I head out I have to re-zero scope. This year off several inches at 100 yards. I live in AZ (very minimal humidity) and guns are kept in safe in AC house (even less humidity). I zeroed it last year when went hunting and it has sat in safe since then. That is why I am thinking that it is the optics. I should have new scope in 3-5 business days then I will mount it and find out.
Thanks all for the recommendations

Have you taken the scope off and checked the base screws?

Ditto checked the action screws?

Bad scope should be shifting around when shooting not when sitting after getting 1 inch groups.

Possible interference in stock developed?

Ok put new scope on and went to range yesterday and was down to almost a cloverleaf at 100 yards. I will let it sit for a few days and go back but I am pretty sure it was the scope. I did check all screws, bases, mounts and such and all were still tight. so to go from 1 inch group at 100 yards to cloverleaf to me verifies it was an optics issue
Thanks to all for info

Sure points hard in that direction.

I will be curious how it comes out as that is not a scope issue you see (ever in this case)

Shooting yes, sitting, odd.

I have the same problem though I'd welcome a 1" group at 100 yards.

I have a 1982 Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag that I got used that I am having a hard time getting tight groups with.

Recently I spent a lot of time and effort cleaning the barrel thinking that perhaps it was copper fouling that was giving me a hard time. I haven't shot it since then but plan to go tomorrow. I'll let you know.

I've also wondered if the problem is heat related. If I shoot 4 shots (one to heat up the cold barrel and three for the group) the barrel is hot enough to fry an egg on.

When I take my time and wait a minute or two between shots my groups are better but not great.

I'd like to have someone else shoot a group with it to rule out operator error but the ROs where I shoot are too busy.

Both of you gents, should....

if you reload, take an empty case and resize to soft seat the bullet you are using, then load into the chamber against the bolt face and slowly seat the bolt and lock it to get the bullet seating against the "leade".
Measure that bullet diameter against the case head and set your seater die to maintain that distance and check you resulting groups.

Good luck

Back