scope or open sight for deer hunting

long range

Formal, iron sight long range shooting (1000 yds) is done on a white target face, 6x6 FEET square, with an aiming black approaching 4 FEET in diameter. They are that size so you can see the darn things. As noted, seeing an enemy at that distance without a magnifying optic would be no small feat. Hitting one would be even more spectacular. The '06 cartridge can no doubt deliver a fatal blow at that range, but locating the target and hitting it with iron sights in combat from improvised positions would be VERY difficult. I've read accounts of the Garand being used to make such shots, in some instances, the enemy would foolishly expose themselves intentionally across wide rivers or open spaces at static positions along the line. Eventually somebody would hit the guy, but it might take several shots, or as much as a week. Charles Askins describes such shooting in his book "Unrepentant Sinner".

Sure, iron sights can work for deer, but doing so brings limitations. Some folks enjoy hunting vintage rifles and accept the handicaps irons bring with them as part of the challenge. Some folks like the cleaner lines and lighter weight of some iron sighted rifles. But I am steadfast in believing that the right scope contributes to getting all the accuracy from a rifle that can be obtained, overcomes vision and eye problems and allows one to shoot farther, under more varied conditions for longer periods of time.

ive had many scopes fail me when it comes to low light gathering. have had 300$ scopes turn black before dusk.

but have a 20 year old barska that when the leaves are off the trees, is good for 20 minutes past sundown.

ive had many scopes fail me when it comes to low light gathering. have had 300$ scopes turn black before dusk.

but have a 20 year old barska that when the leaves are off the trees, is good for 20 minutes past sundown.
At $300 you are usually not getting into bright glass.

and that barska scope cost 130 on sale, originally 270.

also need to realize that MOST people are happy with 1" tube diameter and a 35mm objective lens. i feel 52mm objectives are SMALL.

Have a post 64 M70, bought when I was working in WA state.
resently in MI and I load the 7MAG down to 7X57MM by using a differnt powder.

Presently the rifle is getting a barrel change as the orignal barrel require me to 'long" load tthe bullet over an 1/8th" longer thtan SAAMI, to engae the "leade" and get five shot to group on a picnic plate @ 100.

It has a scope and iron sights.

Humans have been using the ole Mark1 Mod Zero eyeball since the inception of the first hand cannon.
I don't use optics on my pistols or shotguns.
All but 2 of my rifles have optics (original 1861 Harpers Ferry, commemorative issue model 94 Winchester).

Use what is comfortable to you.

Back