Scope on a Sporterized Mauser?

Grant 14 said:
Unless I am looking at the wrong photos, the bolt had already been turned down
Terminology. The bolt on the rifle looks like a standard Mauser 98K bent bolt, but that bend won't clear a scope. What people refer to as a "turned down" bolt is actually a bolt handle that requires cutting off the original and welding or screwing on a replacement that starts off pointing down at the juncture with the bolt, and then bends out. It also requires relieving the stock to clear the bolt handle.

My Dad used to convert military Mausers and I seem to remember him having a jig to cut off the straight bolt handle and weld on a bent one. This fellows doesnt look much different, but it might not take much more to hit a scope. I will have to go look at one of my old ones.
I think that he has an ideal "Boys" rifle. Light weight, great caliber with light enough recoil and plenty of hitting power. Lucky kid. Grant.

The bolt was cut off, or sometimes just cut part way through, bent then the gap welded up.

And of course, there's the old joke, if the bolt handle hits the scope, mount the scope higher...:rolleyes:

I think that he has an ideal "Boys" rifle.

Unless you think the Boys Rifle was a several feet long .55 caliber anti tank rifle...:D

If you aren't wedded to the idea of a model 70 style swing wing safety, the swap to a Mauser scope safety is simple and only requires replacement of the wing. Numrich sold a decent one for a long time, might still sell them. I've put them on a number of Mausers and they work well enough.

44 AMP said:
The bolt was cut off, or sometimes just cut part way through, bent then the gap welded up.
Possible, but I don't think so. It looks like a factory 98K bolt to me.

Here's an M48 bolt:
attachment.php

And here's a 98K bolt:
attachment.php

Note that the 98K stock is relieved, because the bolt is bent down so far there's no clearance to get a finger under it without the relief cut.

Attachments

• M48_Bolt.JPG
    M48_Bolt.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 98K_Bolt.JPG
    98K_Bolt.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

And of course, there's the old joke, if the bolt handle hits the scope, mount the scope higher...:rolleyes:

Unless you think the Boys Rifle was a several feet long .55 caliber anti tank rifle...:D

If you aren't wedded to the idea of a model 70 style swing wing safety, the swap to a Mauser scope safety is simple and only requires replacement of the wing. Numrich sold a decent one for a long time, might still sell them. I've put them on a number of Mausers and they work well enough.
If this is the one you're referring to, looks like it's still available.

Larry

Larry,
That is exactly the scope safety I'm referring to. I have those on several of my sporterized Mausers. You may find it necessary to put a new angle on the edge of the cam they can be very stiff (and almost impossible to engage) unless you do. Not a big deal, a few minutes with a file and test fitting.

Aquila,
what I mean was partly cutting through the bolt handle, bending it, and then filling in the gap was ONE of the methods used to bend bolts for scopes, I didn't mean I thought it had been done on the OP's rifle. Sorry for not being clear.

44 AMP said:
Aquila,
what I mean was partly cutting through the bolt handle, bending it, and then filling in the gap was ONE of the methods used to bend bolts for scopes,
I know of that method. I have long been tempted to do it to my M24/47, but I don't think I have the requisite skills to do it without damaging the firearm. (Heck, "think" has nothing to do with it. I know I don't have the skills.)

I just looked up ER Shaw's site, and they offer gunsmithing services that appear to be fairly reasonable. You would have to sent the rifle to them , and I don't know how long it would take., bit it might be worth a call.

so just to weight in again. been thinking about this thread a good bit. You could probably get a new rifle setup cheaper. But like you said it still has life left and is just collecting dust. If its a shooter in good shooting condition, I say drop a scope on it and keep it going. collector guns are cool, whether they be mil-surplus, or family heirlooms. But at the same time a gun that no longer gets used, in my opinion, is just a waste.

Back