Scope my (lightweight) rifle...please!

Thanks for all the advice. Very much appreciated. I'm still mulling it over and am leaning 2-7 up to 3-9 or a fixed 4 or 6. Keeping my eyes open for sales.
Run a variable side by side with a fixed, very quickly you'll see for yourself why fixed is better.
The same reason why the ACOG is so heavily favored over variables, they are awesome.

Fixed power scopes were the mainstay for generations, then along came the innernets, gun forums, and hardcore marketing. Since then its been nothing but everyone tripping over each other "3-9" "4-15" "1-6" "variable this" "variable that" etc, etc, etc

Its awesome having the brighter glass, wider FOV, lighter weight, stronger build, and simple ballistics. I was sucked into the variable fad many moons ago, then one day I just snapped out of it and wondered 'why'. The only variable optics I use anymore are Elcan's on my SCAR's and the occasional magnifier behind a red dot.
:cool:

BTW if almost all of your shooting is in fact under 100, I would seriously consider trying a 2x 2.5x 3x.
They are in a real sweet spot at that range and fast as the dickens.

A 1X-4X, 4X, or 2X-7X will give you ample magnification for deer size game beyond 300 yds, and be relatively light in weight. Killed a nice buck at 350 yds. with one shot using a 2X-7X set on 3. A 2.5X would also be a reasonably good choice.

If you can hit the vital zone on a deer size target with a steady hold using open sights at 100 yds. (a big game hunter should be able to do that), you can do the same on a deer at 300 yds. with a 3X scope (with a rest as needed for a steady hold) and suitably accurate rifle.

If you choose a scope with a reasonably small ocular bell, you can also mount those lower power scopes nice and low for a very quick and handy package.

You guys and your fixed power, low power are so Daniel Boone.
The time period, not the person.
True 1 power? We need glass for the naked eye?

Break out the abacus & the slide rule...

Pic-SR.jpg

For an older shooter who needs reading glasses but sees well enough to drive without corrective lenses, a 1X scope offers a significant improvement over open sights or even an aperture sight.

scopes

You are on the right track with a scope that has a smaller bell, ie, less than 40mm. A tidy, light rifle, with a big scope on it not only looks out of balance to me, but is heavier than it needs to be, as you have determined for yourself. I would stick with a 1" tube, as a 30mm tube usually adds weight as well. A decent 1" tube/glass will give you plenty of light to shoot by during legal shooting hours.

I am a bit of a dinosaur regards fixed power scopes myself, and in the early years, all said that "4X was all you needed" and many fellows of my acquaintance even ran 2.75x and 4x scopes with no issues. Fixed power scopes likely were a bit more reliable than variables years ago. I still run several fixed power scopes but have moved up from lower 2.75 and 4x scopes to 6x36mm Leupolds on deer rifles. I have not found 6X a hindrance in the woods, and for the life of me cannot understand the "all I could see was fur" comments you read and hear, some even on this thread. I've found 6X allows for point counting on property requiring certain point counts before shooting, which is really common in my area, both on public and private land. We did not have to deal with that years ago. I also believe 6X allows me to pick windows and lanes through the woods for a clear shot, which I could not see with lower magnification. The added magnification over 4X seems to aid shooting groups and zeroing as well. I do not have numbers in front of me, but suspect a fixed 6x36mm is more than a few ounces lighter than a 3x9x40, as they are a trimmer and have fewer lenses than say a a 3x9x40 variable, and possibly even a 2x7 or 2x8 number However.....

Good modern variables are now far better optical devices than they were when I first started hunting, some 50 yrs ago and I now have nothing against them provided they do not get to big. Stay with a good name brand and you cannot go too far wrong. I am a Leupold man myself, but own a few Burris's as well. I think Nikon makes a good product, but only have one example. My experience with Bushnell, Tasco and Simmons have not been positive over time. Vortex is receiving a lot of press, as is the "new" Redfield as owned by Leupold, but I do not have examples of any, nor can I advise on Sightron or any of the $$$$$ Euro imports.

To finish, I have a Leupold 2x7x33 Vari-X-II a (I think) which has been on at least 3 rifles and in recent years has been hunted hard on my only stainless/synthetic rifle that I use in wet weather and to climb trees with a climbing stand. It has been as reliable as a rock, and I suspect it's new brethren or cousins would be a fine choice for your new rig.

BBarn,
Wow, i'd send that back! Someone forgot the other half of your scope at the factory!!! :D

I wear corrective lenses for reading, but not driving also.
To me it's purely an asthetics thing.
The straight tube reminds me of the old 4 power rimfire scopes from the 70's.
I'm not saying i like a huge objective on all rifles, but a little bell seems to complete the lines for me.

Depends on how light you want to keep it? If you want to keep your rifle as light as possible I'd go with a set of Talley Light Weight rings and a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 it weighs 14.5oz ($799.99) or Z5 2.4-12x50 it weighs 16.2oz ($849.99). Both scopes are super light and the quality of glass is great and super clear. Great in low light situations and available with numerous reticle options. They are a little pricey but well worth it. Another good option for a light weight scope would be a Vortex Razor HD LH (High Density Light Hunter) 3-15x42 that weighs 16.5oz ($899.99). Vortex has a fantastic warranty that will cover any issues you have with it. Like I said before they are pricey. Leupold also makes fantastic optics and if you decide to go with one you will be happy too. Just depends on what you want and like. My suggestion is to look through them outside in low light. That will make up your mind.

Back