Scope loose after use at the range

Nino, my opinion is that locktite on the screws is a good thing. However, I second what was mentioned about getting GOOD bases and rings. The stuff that manufacturers put on those combo rifles is less than decent.

Last edited:
Good stuff

Nothing wrong with loctite, just use the correct grade. That would be purple for most all gun screws.
The key with Loctite is clean. Degrease the screws, degrease the threaded holes.
Loctite typically fails due to oil or grease in the threads. Loctite primer is available to clean prior to application.

If you accidentally use red, heat is your friend. Blue can sometimes be difficult, again heat is the answer.

The issue is not the screws....99% of the time. The issue is the rings won’t hold torque. That is because the design is no good. The joint has to be strong enough to maintain clamp on the scope. Loctite will reduce loosening. This should be good enough. A better solution is rings with a stronger top cap. Those should hold torque, but blue or purple loctite is a nice addition.

You don't know if its screws or not.

I torque my rings to the recommended tightness of the manufacturer. If you still have problems a little Loctite is not going to hurt. Just don't use any permanent red Loctite.

I see plumber put good on unions all the time. Why? It helps. Actually in that case it make it less likely to seal as the joint was never intended to have goop in it.

Same on squeeze gaskets. Goop all over. What does the mft say? They say put the gasket in.

If the joint is good, Locktite does not hurt. If its not, it may weld it together enough to pass for a while, it will fail. Locktite prevents screws from backing out. Screws don't back out if its a good joint and fastener.

Back