Scope Height.

That has been addressed several times, including by me, way back in post 7. In fact, I said:

me said:
the most import thing is that the scope height is such that you can get a good cheek weld.

A high scope and a good cheek weld are not mutually exclusive.

After having to work through the 4 day Wisconsin Antlerless hunt I decided it was time to mount up the Nikon Prostaff and I barely made it with the medium Leupold rings. Looks like I have 3 sheets of paper clearance between the scope and barrel. But everything looks good and should be better with the new Timney Trigger.

It lines up nicely with my eye and the other set of Leupold high rings went on my crossbow because I couldn't handle the cheapies on it.

scope

Blindstitch, Great pics, it looks like you used up every milimeter of that scope tube to get the fit that works for you. Good luck in the field and thansk for posting. Make sure you check out Nikon's Spot On Program to really dial in your rifle scope and ammo for the greatest possible accuracy. Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.

SFAIK, "lower is better" applies to the fit of the stock and cheek weld.

Mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed and have a good cheek weld. Without moving your head, open your eyes. If all's righteous, you should be looking through the center of the scope. (Holds for iron sights, as well.)

Change scope height as needs be. Or modify the comb.

bman940,
Every last fraction of a fraction was used. When I first installed the rings the scope area between the bells didn't even fit. I needed about 1/16 of an inch more. Loosened the rings on either side and push the rear forward and pulled the front back and tightened them down. Gave me just enough room.

After using a bubble level and eye making sure the scope wasn't tilted I handed the rifle to my wife and all she had to say was wow this is clear. We have a running joke about HD sunglasses.

This was one of the reasons I switched over to all Nikon glass for photography about 10 years ago. Great products.

Back