Scope for Remington 700

Thanks for suggesting Redfield. I stopped at a local gun shop and looked through the Redfield scope, and it was very crisp, clearly superior to anything else in its price range (especially as the zoom level increased). At this point it's between the Redfield and the Nikon. They're essentially the same price, the only thing that's holding me back from buying the redfield is that we haven't had a chance to see how their new scopes hold up yet..

There's a gun shop about 2 miles from my house, and they charge $50 to mount/boresight... seems a bit ridiculous to me. I talked to 2 other shops (that are pretty far away), and they said they do it for free if you buy the scope from them, otherwise it's $10. Now I'm curious... do most shops charge $50??

I have 2 Nikon Buckmaster scopes. They are very good and clear. I haven't had any fogging in really bad weather, and they have been very solid in the field. They're mounted on Magnum rifles, and the recoil doesn't seem to bother them. They're not much more than the Nikon Prostaff, so I would consider those. My only complaint about them is that they're 3 ounces heavier than a Bushnell 3200. I like to save weight whenever possible. I own a 3200 and like it just as much. If I were to get another comparable scope, it would most likely be another 3200. Sorry if these are out of your price range, but they aren't very expensive when you think about it. For my money i wouldn't want a less expensive scope than these on a hunting rifle. With optics, you usually do get what you pay for. Especially in the lower end of scopes. With the more expensive scopes, the only question is 'when does the law of diminishing returns really kick in?' Is the $600 scope really a lot better than the $400 scope?
Enough ramblings.

The old rule of thumb was glass was half the cost of the set up. If you want to save $$ on quality, look for a good fixed power scope in 4 or 6X range

My first hunting rifle was a Remmy 700 ADL in 30-06. I got a Leupold VX-II 3-9x50 for it ($299 on sale for $240). I have taken this scope and rifle into the field more than any three other guns of mine combined. It has held zero and served me well going up and down trees, laying in the snow, through the rain, into a creek (or two), hiking through brush, etc. for 10 years. I recently sent it to the factory because the field lens had some particulate on it (must have leaked during part of my abuse somewhere last year) - the scope was still clear, there was just an aberration at 10:00. 12 days later I got it back looking clearer then it ever did. Total cost of the cleaning (which required dis assembly) was the $10 to ship it. I can not say enough good things about this scope or Leupold's customer service.

Want the best in your price range? Read this.
http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21176

Slowr1der pointed you in the right direction. For the $200 price range, there are no better scopes than the Vortex Diamondback and Burris Fullfield II. In fact, you will have to spend two, or three times as much to equal their optical quality.

"Inexpensive Scope" Comparison

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40
Redfield Revolution 3-9x40
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40
Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40
Bushnell Elite 3-9x40

I have quite a few rifles and trying to scope them all with Leupolds, Zeiss Conquest, etc gets expensive. So I tried several brands and had settled on the Burris Fullfield II as best for the money and they are good. After reading the above article I bought a 2-7 Vortex Diamondback for a little .223 bolt gun. Well, all I can say is the author was correct, for the money Vortex has even Burris beat. Although I won't be getting rid of the four Burris Fullfield IIs I own anytime soon. They are still very good scopes.

Abel's suggestion is a good one considering it all. Just myself I like doing things only once. I never had one but a freind does, and says it is the best scope he has ever had, and was happy with the price for what he got. Sorry I guess Skoro was the one that started it, but I think there good ideas. I did not get to shoot it but helped mount it, and it was a nice clear scope. Later he said it proved to be very accurate.

Back