Scope for Remington 700

badger11

Inactive
Hi all,

I recently bought a Remington 700, 30-06, and don't have a scope for it. It's my first gun (I'll be using it for mostly deer hunting, and some coyote), and I have no clue what to do for a scope. I really don't want to spend any more than $200 (including base & rings), but I also don't want to skimp on a scope.

I was thinking 3-9x40, either a Bushnell Trophy or Nikon Prostaff. Or even a bushnell banner? I also don't know what to do when it comes to getting a base and rings... any help is much appreciated!

Best bet. Find a local gun shop. Ask around for a good one.

A good shop will set you up with the proper scope, rings and bases. All around here also bore-sight, that will usually put you on paper on the first shot.

In your price range it might cost you $20 more than WallyWorld but it will be worth every penny.

I'm your perfect example. Due to old eyes I had to shift to scopes (I was 55). I tried to 'cheap out', bought discount scopes at discount stores and gun shows. Most of them are back in their boxes and I have a few large hunting scopes mounted on .22LR's because they can't take recoil.

I was thinking 3-9x40, either a Bushnell Trophy or Nikon Prostaff. Or even a bushnell banner?

Of the 3 you mentioned, the Prostaff is the best in terms of optics. You may want to consider a Weaver Classic V also.

IMO the Nikon Prostaff is one of the best scopes on a tight budget. The 3-9x40 can be had for $150.00 and the 3-9x50 for $199.00 then I would get some Talley one piece mounts.

Badger11,
When did you buy the Rem. 700?

Rem. started a rebate on Aug. 1 for almost all 700 rifles.
If it applies to you, then you will have another $100. to spend on that scope.

The link to the rebate is:
Remington

I thought I'd throw in some advice.
For hunting, make sure you don't get a scope with Adjustable Objective (AO) or side focus. Usually, these are higher power scopes 14X and greater. 3-9X is perfect for deer hunting. I see a lot of scopes called Whitetail Classic, etc. that have the AO and (to me) are not suitable for hunting if you have to constantly adjust the focus for different ranges. Where I hunt, a deer may pop out at any range and only be there for a few seconds. Ypu want to be on focus as fast as possible.

I'll add in the Redfield Revolution scopes. They have the excellent leupold warranty backing them up,and their adjustment system is a bit superior to the Pro-Staff.
The Bushnell Trophys are ok scopes (heavily built),but can be hit or miss for quality of adjustments and glass. If you can find an Elite 3200 bushnell for that price,that would be another option.
Burris Fullfields are another option if you can find them in your price range. I have trouble finding them in stores.

Gunshops will install your scope,but you will pay a lot more and get less glass,and you still won't know how to mount your own scope.
Hopefully you have a local friend who can guide you through the process?
As for selecting a scope,try going to a local big box store (Gander Mountain,Cabelas,etc). Then go buy what you selected online (Amazon.com, SWFA, Midway,Natchez,Midsouth,etc).

I'll throw in my thoughts. I'd get something that is:

A) at the top of your budget. Don't cheap out, since if it's like most rifles, that thing is your only means of sighting and you don't want it susceptible to weather, normal banging around while hunting, etc. You do get what you pay for (mostly)

B) something simple and straightforward. If it's for a straight hunting rifle, you probably only need 3-9 power, like most people have said. I think a 3-9X40 is the most popular scope out there. You could probably get away with a 2-7 and a smaller objective lens just fine, especially if you want a lighter scope.

From personal experience and the experience of my dad, cousin, and two uncles I'll say Nikon customer service is junk. I can deal with the occasional lemon (or, in our case, the occasional 5 lemons), but their service on every occasion was disgusting. I'll never own a Nikon again. I would be willing to try the new line of Redfields for somewhere around your price range.

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

This is the scope I'm ordering when I have the cash for my 700. I'll be getting it with the Zplex reticle. Simple design. works in the field and isn't that much.

It is over your 200 limit but great product for the price. You said you don't want to skimp on a scope.

Will you be hunting with this rifle early in the morning or late in the day? Search for reviews about low light shooting. Some scopes suck at low light gathering. Others accel at it.

For me it was easier to settle on this scope than what model 700 I wanted.

From personal experience, I can tell you that you should buy as much scope as you can afford. In my experience, cheaper scopes have a tendancy to lose zero. Not saying that the Nikon pro staff will or any others that you have mentioned will lose zero, but I had a Simmons that would not hold zero and I spent $150 on it.:mad:
FWIW, I have looked thru both the new Redfield scopes and the Nikon Pro Staff. To me the Redfield glass is much more crisp.
Do your homework, ask questions of your local gun store and do alot of research.

Slowrider wow! were you googling and just FOUND that info,,, thumbs up on the scope dope dude!! that dude in the cape does need to get a life froto baggins, or yodi. I now have a new appreciation of this market. I'm going to find me a Vortex scope to check out. I'm really trying to get the best technology and craftsmanship when I spend my money, and I know everyone is. I have recently found two Leupold VXII's on Craigslist that turned out to be excellant buys. But now given this tidbit of info, n:)ext time I need a scope, I'm goming to check it out.

my 700...

I currently have a fixed power 10x Super Sniper on my Rem 700 PSS (.308) and really like it. The 10x is nice for punching paper but a little over kill for deer at 250 yards, so I have a Weaver Extreme 3-9x that I will be mounting on the 700 in the Fall.

~Sail

My son has a 700 rem in .308 with a bushnell 2-7 3200 seems to work fine. paid right around 200.00 with rings.

Last edited:
I have a Weaver fixed power 4X on my Remington VLS 700 in .308. New for $145.00. More than adequate for my hunting needs, My shots are usually under 300 yards...

Different idea.

Hey Badger11,

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions here. One that I didn't see is for you to buy a higher quality used scope either at a gunshow or off of a friend. Most people like to put their own glass on their recent purchase. Many consider the existing scope to be a throw away and sell them dirt cheap! I've landed several awesome deals on higher quality scopes for under $100. You could place a wanted ad on sites like this, or www.sellyourweapon.com to see what kind of responses you get. Good luck and have fun.

Back