Scope for a 30-30

At this point, it's like the fella that kissed the cow, to each his own.

I believe that big scopes on little rifles are ugly, compromise handling and portablility due to size and weight, and offer magnification that really isn't needed for most whitetail hunting done with lever carbines and moderate cartridges. Folks want to go another route, have at it.

I'll never hunt a Meopta, a NightForce, a Kahles or Zeiss, 'cause I can't afford them. I've gotten by with very average Leupold's, a couple of Burris's and a Nikon, many bought used. Legal shooting hours (and maybe just a tad later) anyplace I've ever hunted, they've served just fine. Some scopes are certainly better than others, but there is indeed a limit on what the human eye can do in bad light no matter with what scope they hunt.
I have bought all my Meoptas and Night Force scopes cheap. I am not wealthy, but I shoot with a lot of people who have more money than sense. Whenever a new model number comes out, they fall out of love with the old model and sell them for about 1/3rd of what they paid for them.

My go to scope for ARs and woods rifles is the now discontinued Nikon P-223 3X32 fixed power. Look for them on closeouts. I have one on a Marlin 3030, Marlin .22 and AR 15. A weaver 4X on a Handi in .357 MAX is my favorite deer harvester.

Lookin at a Leupold 2-7x32 for the 30-30. Reviews look really good and I think it would be a great addition to the rifle.

I cannot imagine a better power scope for a 30-30 than a straight 2 3/4x or maybe even a 10-4x. I have both and love them. Both are Denver Redfield's. 2 3/4x on my 30-06 and 1-4xon my 308. I only shoot cast bullet's in the 308, scope is great!

Sure have been some interesting replies about this. So, I'll just offer this for the OP: How about a Weaver Claasic V 1-3x20mm for your Henry? Have one on my Henry .357 rifle. Not cumbersome, light and works well. You could do worse and not much better.

Honestly after spending a few years with my Henry 30-30 . I have no need for an optic. Even given the fact I have really poor eyes, I went the route of ditching the crappy standard lever action type sights and added Skinner peep sights. I also have a custom modified front sight that allows me to have a base 100 yd zero, and I can raise the rear aperture sight and reach 200 yds. Aperture sights are a big help for me with my bad eyes. I love the Skinner's and it keeps my Henry looking somewhat authentic.

Use a ghost ring or peep sight for your Henry unless your vision is bad than use you can use a Schmidt and Bender.

I put a Weaver Classic K series 4x38 Model S49415 on my Marlin 30-30, 36A a few years ago.Bright, Clear, all the magnification ya need on a 30-30. hdbiker

Back