Scope for .22 question

ARSG12 said:
Think about this: If a $30-$40 scope breaks because it was too fragile to be used on a 10/22, then what wouldn't break it? What could it possibly be designed to be used on if not a .22? Airguns still have as much vibration as a .22, so if it breaks on a .22, it would break on an airgun. So what would not break it?

Nothing would not break it. That's the thing with cheap scopes. Sometimes they're good and hang in for a while, sometimes they go bad. I've seen a Tasco that broke on a .44 Magnum single-shot rifle, it went out of focus and the internal pieces physically rattled. I've also seen cheap scopes that wouldn't zero and had the cross-hairs break. My 10/22 currently has a cheap scope of indeterminate origin that is shaky and dim, no matter what power it's set on. It also shifts zero when moved across the magnification range.

Contrast that to the VX-2 on my newest CZ. It's bright and clear across the power range, the adjustment clicks are accurate and repeatable and the POI doesn't move when going from 3x to 9x.

progress

I think we're swimming against the current here.

Go buy a $50 scope, .....or 5 of the the BB gun scopes. Seems the OP is intent on that.

But even a BB gun has more "recoil" (maybe more accurately called "vibration")than a 10/22, due to the internal mechanics a BB gun has. Since my 10/22 has no recoil to speak of, why would a scope--cheap or not--not only lose its zero, but even lose its ability to be adjusted?

ARSG12, the reason very cheap products fail is quality of materials. All of the components and construction is of such low quality that failure is guaranteed. You may get one that lasts a while, but probably not. A $10 scope is like a $5 charger for your smartphone; it may work in a pinch, but don't count on it.

I like to just check things out, buy them and see how they work. The " you get what you pay for" crowd are often a bunch of elitest. My Rossi and Taurus revolvers always worked but I had to send two Smith and Wessons back to the factory one of them twice. Stuff happens. Find a scope that you like and buy it. Some people figure if they pay a lot for something it has to be good and stick with it, recommend it, and criticize other brands because that is what they do. I parked my 2001 Honda CRV next to some kind of new Cadillac SUV about the same size. I bought mine second hand for $14,000 with 50 k miles on it, kept up the maintenance, get 28 mpg. I just turned over 300,000 miles on it. Odds are they payed a lot more for that Caddy.

I like to just check things out, buy them and see how they work. The " you get what you pay for" crowd are often a bunch of elitest. My Rossi and Taurus revolvers always worked but I had to send two Smith and Wessons back to the factory one of them twice. Stuff happens. Find a scope that you like and buy it. Some people figure if they pay a lot for something it has to be good and stick with it, recommend it, and criticize other brands because that is what they do. I parked my 2001 Honda CRV next to some kind of new Cadillac SUV about the same size. I bought mine second hand for $14,000 with 50 k miles on it, kept up the maintenance, get 28 mpg. I just turned over 300,000 miles on it. Odds are they payed a lot more for that Caddy.

Problem is, I could like just about any scope. I liked my $10 one well enough, but then it totally lost its zero and the ability to readjust for seemingly no reason. I guess I could spend $50 or so to try to be safe, but it's a bit frustrating to hear that even those can disappoint. But here's a list I've found and I was hoping to get some opinions about it. These are supposedly the "best". What does everyone else think? Any experience with them? The first 2 in the list are what I'm interested in. The first scope is $39 and the second one is $50. http://www.goodgamehunting.com/best-22lr-scope/

Specifically, they are a BARSKA 3-9x32 Plinker-22 Riflescope and a BSA Sweet .22 3-9 x 40mm Rifle Scope. They're both in my price range. I'm just hoping they made the list of "Best of .22LR Scopes" for good reason. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with either of these?

Last edited:
I have a 3-9 x 40 on my 22 but I wish I would have gotten the 50 mm objective instead of the 40. I shoot small bore silhouette with it and lighting conditions are not always ideal. The range that I shoot at has a south facing range and the shoots are at 9am and 7pm so the sun can make targets hard to see or lower the contrast between the targets and the back drop. It is a fine scope and more than most shooters have but maybe I could find a polarized filter for it?

Many scope manufacturers make them for different markets.
The one for $10 might have the same name as their more expensive models, but nothing else in common.
I have a Tasco 4-12 from over twenty years ago that retailed for $150 even back then.
Actually got it on sale for half that.
Never a problem on either rimfires or centerfires.
Ya' gets what ya' pay for.
Unless it's on sale. :)

If you can't afford a new Leupold or Weaver, look for the best used Weaver K4 scope that $50.00 will buy. There are a lot of them out there that are more rugged and reliable than any new scope in the $50.00 price range. Don't buy flimsy mounts either.

lots of cheap scopes will work. I have two 10-22s and a couple years ago hit a sale at BPS or Cabelas, and now both are wearing Leupold VX-II 3-9s. I simply have a lot more faith in them over the Tascos of the world. That being said, both have KIDD Barrels, Triggers, etc. So they are not standard $300 22s.

Back