Scope Dilemma

4x is an opportune power because you can snap it to your shoulder and still see what you are aiming at without having to worry about it being dialed too far up and having to struggle to find the target. 6x is great for sitting in a stand, but just my 2 cents, I think that is a bit too high magnification for walking and having to snap a shot.

RTBA, you mentioned its coming with a Weaver 4x scope, so I am assuming it has rings and bases, too.

I have a pristine (1948) 721 30-06 that I bought from a good friend. It was his dad’s and had a Weaver K4 with Weaver mounts and rings. Scope was not 100% so I got a new set of Redfield bottom screw rings and a Redfield base. Next was a really nice Leupold Vari X II 2x7 gloss finish. This was bought on eBay, great condition and probably from the 60’s. Works perfect and looks fantastic, like it was always on the old gun.

I put a Redfield Revolution 3-9x on my pre64 .308 about ten years ago. It has been a great scope to this day. I am a 300 yard max hunter/shooter. I typically only use the 3x when hunting in timber, or the 9x when the terrain opens up. I like being able to make that adjustment. This scope is no longer made but there are several on ebay in your price range.

I also put a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x on my sons .257 Roberts this season. So far this scope seems really nice. Time will tell if it holds up, but at $200 new i'm pretty impressed so far.

"Actually the rifle will come with a 4x 1950's vintage weaver. Maybe I should just stick with it. In my younger days I actually shot about 5 elk. None were more than 200 yards. Would a 4x be sufficient?"

I don't see why not. Of the last six elk I shot, my 3x9 scope was set at 3X. That includes one shot at 350 yards. The scope was a Burris FFII that has held up quite well on my .35 Whelen. I also have one on a Winchester M70 .300 Win. Mag. and another on a Winchester M70 .338 mag and they've been trouble free.
For the record, I have had three Leupold scopes turn toes up on me. Two were when sighting in at the range and one on an elk hunt. Lucky for me I always take a back up rifle along. The good news is Leupold repair all three, no questions asked.
Paul B.

I'm actually getting ahead of myself on the scope. It will be several months before I get the rifle from Arizona and I will have to have the stock reworked. I just love the thought of getting an old classic rifle. I know I don't need it but there is something about being born a country boy and finally being able to afford something over $20. The intricate machining, the look of a walnut stock and the memories of a crisp fall morning that it evokes. I know I could shoot everything I need to shoot with a $300 Walmart special but there is just something special about a 70 year old bolt action and the situations its been in. Thank all of you for your learned comments and sometime in 2022 Lord willing I'm going to put a Leupold 3x9IIc on the old girl and try to scare a huge 85 lb Georgia whitetail with it!

I think a good used Leupold scope is a good idea, as would be the Burris FF2. A few years back, I bought a Burris FF2 in 4.5-14 and liked it so much I bought a second one.

In that price range, you aren’t likely to find a scope with an illuminated reticle that’s worth using, but I could be wrong on that issue. I did buy a Vortex Crossfire II with an illuminated reticle, and it was inexpensive. The illumination was really pretty good, but the scope didn’t last very long. As for an illuminated reticle, and whether or not you want or need one, that’ll depend on your hunting. I got along just fine with good old duplex reticles for decades and never needed illumination. But, when the hogs moved onto our place in Texas, I found that in dim light, black crosshairs on a black hog are about worthless. So, on to illuminated reticles, some of which are good, and some not. The best that I have is a Leupold VX5 with the fire dot. Man, that’s perfect. Also good is the Athlon Midas 2.5-15 that replaced the Crossfire.

Of course, if you aren’t pig hunting, I suppose illuminated reticles aren’t needed.

I was taught that you shouldn't need anything more than 4 power.
If you can't see it on 4x, you shouldn't be shooting at it.
I agree with leaving the Weaver on the rifle. A .300 H&H, with the original scope would be a cool hunting rig

I still think a weaver k4 would be the perfect match and was probably what were found on most Mod 70s in their heyday

I just purchased an older Leupold 3x9IIc off of ebay but put it on my .338 Ruger. Since I'm out of cash now I'll probably leave the old K4 on the 300 H&H.
I do have to buy dies and work up some 180-200 grain loads.

Back