Scope Dilemma

Here is my present dilemma. I've got a 300 H&H pre 64 coming and I need to scope it. I'm middle class and have a budget of $250 or less. I've always bought Leupolds and have never had a problem with one. Usually IIc's and older ones. I usually only hunt eastern whitetails at 100 yards or less. I occasionally go on a western deer/elk hunt. I'm only an average shot but have never lost a game animal due to a scope. Said all that to ask the forum what they would recommend. I can find many 6x, 2-7x, or 3-9x on ebay less than $250. My brother (the world gun expert and friend of the Rugers, etc) says I need to go at least to a Freedom series and hopefully have 30 mm tube and firedot. what do y'all (or all y'all) think? Thanking all of you great 2nd amendmenters in advance

May I suggest getting a 1-6x scope. Though I've heard in some scopes reviews, that the 1x is not a true 1x. Maybe at least try for a 1.5-6x. Though I prefer using a 1-8x scope on some of my rifles.

Leupold makes good scopes in that price range. I know it is a rimfire scope, but they make a (I think) 2-7x32mm that would be in that price range for you. Same guarantee, probably could still waffle what you need it to. Thoughts?

I own a 2-7x IIc and it has been a fantastic scope. In fact I have killed the majority of my deer with it. I'm just wondering how it matches up to a 300 H&H ballistics( a little shy of the 300 Win mag). All else being even I'm leaning that way, now.

By pre 64 I assume you're talking about a Winchester model 70, you might want to consider even just a fixed 3x scope--like a Burris RT3--which has the form factor of a smallish reddot but is more than enough to shoot accurately to at least 100 yds--further if you have better eyes than mine.

I'd wait until you get your rifle in and figure out what mounts you're going to use. That'll help you determine what scope you need. Old scopes had longer tubes, new scopes are getting shorter and sometimes you run into issues on long action rifles.

Last edited:
Good advice. I'm getting a little ahead of myself. It's important how the scope lines up with the long winchester action. On all the m agnums, eye relief is critical if you don't want a permanent scope ring on your head.

I've been a fan of Leupold for a while and in the past always thought that while there may always be better, they were never a bad choice. But in recent years I've heard my share of complaints.

I've always been impressed with the Burris FF-II. Traditionally they have been priced comparably to the Leupold VX-2 series. But in my opinion, I always thought they were a better scope. I've never heard anyone complain about one breaking.

Burris now has a newer FF-IV and the FF-II's can be found discounted. This is what I'd buy with a $250 budget. In fact I can't think of anything under $500 that I like better. The 3-9X40 is under $150 and is the one I'd buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-42mm-...i&qid=1640651827&sprefix=burris,aps,78&sr=8-5

I know less about the FF-IV, but it looks like a winner too. I like some of the features better on the FF-IV but it is unproven at the moment.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fullf...072&sprefix=burris+fullfield+i,aps,112&sr=8-6

A couple of other things.

You don't want a 30mm tube on a hunting rifle. For one thing a comparable quality 30mm tube costs a lot more. And they are a lot heavier. Their advantage is that if you're shooting at 1000 yards with adjustable dials they have more adjustment range. You can run out of adjustment with a 1" scope and somewhat limit it's long range usefulness.

Same with illuminated reticles. Any shot you take within legal shooting time does not require them. On an AR used for self defense at night they are a help.

300 H&H cartridges are a lot longer than traditional 30-06 or 300 WM cartridges. Traditionally they were in magnum length actions. Most modern 300 H&H rifles are built on standard length long actions with metal machined away to make the opening long enough. The holes for the scope mounts are farther apart, which will require a longish scope, or scope rings designed to fit.

For a pre 64 i think you should hunt down an old weaver, or a leupold m8. Should help avoid the scope being too short too. I have a 270 mod 70 and my Leupold vx-3 2-7 just barely fits in the 2 piece mounts.

A couple thoughts. Polinese has a good suggestion. You always take some chance on a used scope, but I have yet to toss one. I recently purchased an old Weaver K8-1 for $100, and it is great, but long. Also, don't discount fixed power scopes. Like most people, I have always used variables. But I changed my thinking in Africa. On advice of the PH, I just set mine at 6X and forgot about it. Never had trouble picking up the target, even putting a finish to a thrashing oryx at 15 yards. I have Leupold FX-6 on two rifles now. That's above your target price, but there are others.

Were it me, i'd follow JMR40 on the Burris Full Field line.
I have 2 now, and really like them! Coworker has 3. (He's the one that brought them to my attention)
I also use Vortex, Sightron & Crimson Trace.

Vortex (Crossfire II) is just a plain usable scope at a decent price.
The only issue i have with Vortex is they seem to flare out way more easily than other scopes.

Sightron offers decent scopes with decent glass at good cost. I now own 4 ranging from their SI 3-9X40 through their SIII 10-50X60. To me, the glass seems a little brighter than the Vortex, but they are about 1/3 less cost.

At under $200 the Burris Full Field line is really hard to beat!
Good glass! Decent turrets. I don't have any complaints on them.

Crimson Trace last year released 4 new lines of scope. Brushline, Brushline Pro, Hardline, Hardline Pro.
I'm looking at picking up one of the Hardlines, next week.
Decent pricing. And between the 4 lines, there is a scope with the options you want, without the ones you don't.
The glass is really good!!! (Shot some with a friends Hardline)

For your usage, i'll also agree with not needing a 30mm scope tube.

EGW (www.egwguns.com) has one piece bases, at a decent price, that will fit your rifle & whichever scope you choose. I like their Hunter line of rails, as the backs are rounded for clearance of the scopes power ring.
Their bases are kinda tall.
But they allow use of low rings with up through a 50mm objective.
And if you order their rings at the same time, you save 10%.

I might have some winchester 70 scope bases in my bag of tricks that I might be willing to part with for the right price, once I get home and dig through the parts and I find it, I will PM you RTBA.

Scour the web for an older scope with a longer tube. Weaver K4 with post reticle would be just the cat's meow for that thing. Problem is finding one, hahah.

I've always been impressed with the Burris FF-II. Traditionally they have been priced comparably to the Leupold VX-2 series. But in my opinion, I always thought they were a better scope. I've never heard anyone complain about one breaking.

Burris now has a newer FF-IV and the FF-II's can be found discounted. This is what I'd buy with a $250 budget. In fact I can't think of anything under $500 that I like better. The 3-9X40 is under $150 and is the one I'd buy.

Leupold makes good scopes, my single sample is a 1" tube 2x7 Illuminator that was my Dad's. But the above is good advice. Full disclosure, I am sponsored by Burris, so most of my optics are Burris. But on my Elk rifle is a 3-9 FFII that I bought prior. They are durable and work just fine, which is why I have not bothered to swap it out for something else. I have a few in 2x7 and a few in 3x9. You won't find a better value in a quality optic for a hunting rifle in your under $250 budget. I'd suggest you take a look the the FFII and FFIV reticles and features and pick the one that matches what you are looking for and your rifle.

And yes, a 1" tube is perfectly fine for hunting rifles. Get the rifle in hand, make sure you have a mounting system that works with the rifle and scope you choose.

Actually the rifle will come with a 4x 1950's vintage weaver. Maybe I should just stick with it. In my younger days I actually shot about 5 elk. None were more than 200 yards. Would a 4x be sufficient?

200 yards, 4x would be fine. I might be tempted to run an old Weaver just for the grins.

I have a few OLD Redfield 3x9s, like 40+ years old. I am tempted to spend the $75 to have a BDC reticle put in them, the seals changed and Nitrogen filled.

I am another fixed power scope fan.

A zoom scope has extra moving parts and extra lenses compared to a fixed scope. Take a look through a fixed scope and try not to notice how bright and distortion free they are.

4x is the classic, but I have a 6x Burris on my 30-06. I sometimes think 6x is too much but other times am sure I made the right choice. Simple, strong, very sturdy, great value.

Back