Scope and rings/mount for a savage .270

shrewd

Howdy guys and gals, not too long ago I took possession of my step dad's Savage 116 in .270 (pre accutrigger).

I'm thinking about a 3x9 or 4x12, but something budget friendly. I'm leaning towards Vortex due to cost and that sweet warranty.

But I don't know anything regarding rings and mounts and such for bolt guns (I'm an AR and lever dude), so id appreciate some wisdom from y'all.

If it matters the rifle is mostly a fun/why not gun but I suppose if I ever hunt it'll be my deer gun

I personally like Warne 2-pc steel Weaver style bases and Burris Signature Zee rings. I think they look good and they also don't require lapping which is a must on a rifle with any recoil. I found that out on my first deer rifle (a light weight, push feed Win70 in 7mag). My scope kept slipping in Leupold rings and I kept tightening them until I pinched the scope tube.

So I ruined a $300 scope because I didn't know about scope ring lapping. Rather than buy a kit or have a gunsmith lap my scope rings for me I choose to use Burris Signature Zee rings now and I've had no more problems and my scope tubes never get scratched.

Lots of people have their favorites and really any good quality steel rings work as long as they're installed properly.

I use the exact same set up as the post above, sometimes i get weaver bases because i can always find them at my lgs and dont need to order. They work just fine.

I really like Talley Lightweight one piece mounts. For $45-50 you get everything you need to mount your scope. I haven't ever experienced any issues with mounting scopes using Talley's.

I'd buy the scope 1st then decide on the mounts, especially with a Savage. Long action Savage rifles have a much greater distance between the front and rear scope mounting holes than other brands. Some scopes will require extension rings to fit. I like Burris Zee rings too if they fit with the chosen scope.

If you are looking at equal quality scopes most 3-9X40's will cost about $100 less than a 4-12X40 scope. You can get a very nice 3-9X40 for $200-$300. If I were thinking about spending $300-$400 on a 4-12X40, I'd much rather move up one notch in a better quality 3-9X40.

I've been mounting scopes for 40+ years and have never had to lap scope rings.

The best $200 scope is a Burris FF-II or VX-1, followed closely by the Redfield Revolution

http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44468.aspx
http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x40-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P7932.aspx
http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44468.aspx

If you want to move up to a $300 scope, then the VX-2

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-2-Riflescope-P51796.aspx

On my savages I use the one piece base, and its usually from evolution gun works
But I did have a ken ferrell one as well.

these are short actions though. As far as rings, I have used all kinds, but the last several have been burris signature zee with inserts.

On my savages I use the one piece base, and its usually from evolution gun works
But I did have a ken ferrell one as well.

these are short actions though. As far as rings, I have used all kinds, but the last several have been burris signature zee with inserts.
I'm curious as to why everyone seems to like 1-piece bases, now. Personally, I don't like the look and how they block the port.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thats why i to like the 2 piece. Less clutter and easier to single load. Although, the DNZ mounting system works nice and is easy on the wallet never tried the talley set up but have read favorable reviews.

Vortex should be a good way to go.
The Savage receiver is long enough to cause problems with some scope/mount combinations. A 1 piece rail would be the surest way to get the scope where you want it. You could go with a 2 piece with an extended front base. Burris zee or Weaver Grand Slam rings, and there are others that work fine.
Savage changed the shape of the receiver a while back, so make sure you get the right bases for your version of the rifle.

jmr40's advice is wise, decide/buy the scope first then get your mount and rings. DNZ makes some nice stuff as does a multitude of others but I'm probably going with Valdada two piece picatinny and either Night Force or TPS rings on my 116.

I too go with the Warne. Nice US made steel, work well and I like how they clamp.

Cabellas and Sportsman Warehouse has them and at reasonable prices.

PM me if you are interested in a scope.

I have one I am selling in 4 to 12.

I'm curious as to why everyone seems to like 1-piece bases
I have both and like both, depending on what's being attempted. I'm not a believer in doing something just to appease my eyes. Sometimes things can look great and perform like crap, I would rather have the opposite.

IMO the best rings you can get for a hunting rifle is the DNZ products game reaper. They are a ring and base all in one piece and have 4 bolts per ring. I've used them on several different rifles and they work very well and the scope WILL NOT move.

I guess the question is do you need the best (cost) or what works?

Warne do not move either.

I like their split design, works well and it give you an alignment mark for vertical on scope mount.

I don't have any issue with going full boat if you have the bucks and like them, but to imply that other rings don't hold is wrong.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to keep things to a budget.

I also don't like the railed one piece bases, they look ugly to me and cover the magazine too much for my taste.

I recently went through this on a pre-accutrigger Savage 110 in .30-06.
I had a Redfield Revolution, and it would not fit without extended rings.
The factory bases were also 2 different widths, and the Weaver extended rings would not tighten on the rear base due to this. I ended up with a extended quad-lock ring on front, and a standard quad-lock ring on the rear.
Thing shot 6" groups at 100 yards.
I took all that off, used the EGW rail and Weaver grand slam medium rings. Now, eye relief is where it should be, and my groups are 1" off a sandbag.

All the well known brands of mounts & rings are good these days. The mater of height off the barrel is where you should have some professional help in determining. (gun shop)

I had Medium height rings sets on my Rem 700s due to my own hand. Later in time I shoulder another's similar rifle having High rings. Wow!! what a difference. So much easier for me to focus comfortably & quick. Soon after that experience I immediately replaced all my scoped rifles Medium height rings. To all having High ring sets._ "Just saying: I could have save myself a few Benjamin's if I had used this advice back then."

Un-comfortable head & neck posture and squinting into a scope during repetitive target shooting is seldom appreciated._Or having to wear glass'es. Both need some special attention paid too when considering scope Rings & appropriate mounts.

I've used Weaver rings and bases since before they hauled in dirt. Never a problem. Put around 4,000 rounds through an '06 over a 35-year period, with no wandering from recoil.

Back