Scimatar Oryx caliber selection?

.50cal packer

Just wanted to get some suggetions, on what YOU think, the preferred caliber would be, for this varity of antelope. I've read all types of answers on the net. Hunters from New Mexico to Africa. This hunt will be in Texas. I'm concerned with some, of what I've read. In Africa, They are shooting these, between 60-120 yards. Suggesting anything between a 270 through 30-06. But here in the U.S., Guys/Gals are saying, they are shooting around 300-550 yards. These Oryx can reach 450-600+ lbs. I feel the 270 is to small, at that range, but the 30-06, I'm not comfortable shooting that far, nor do I want to hunt Oryx with it. So, Lay all the opinions on me you want. New gun calibers are always welcome :D, as I have time. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Most African countries will tell you what is the minimum calibre for what you're hunting. Texas of course isn't Africa so that likely won't apply. Wouldn't anyway as it's likely a farm hunt.
450-600+ lbs. is an elk size beast. A .270 will do, but I'd use a .30-06.

It will be hunted on a "ranch" or "farm." There are tons of different calibers, between a .270 and a 30-06. Though, not a hugely popular selection of rifle, I've been thinking about a 7mm-08. While I've not shot one, the ballistics seems good. Though I'm not sure, it has the balls, at 400 yards.

I guess think of it as being almost an elk-sized critter. From what I've read, the heart is located more toward the front of the chest, as compared to a deer.

So, anything in the vicinity of a 180-grain in an '06 or a .300 WinMag should work.

Distance? Used to be, on the 02 Ranch south of Alpine, they'd be at the highway fence, counting cars on 118. :)

It sounds like the Scimitar Oryx in Texas usually top out at around 400 lbs, only stretching to 450+ lbs on occasion.
And it sounds like shot distance depends upon the particular ranch that's being hunted. Some places, the average shot seems to be 100-200 yards. Other places, that jumps to 350-450 yards.

I wouldn't have any reservations about taking my .270 Win with 140 gr Partitions. It's accurate enough. The bullet is tough enough. I know the trajectory. And, most importantly, I have more experience with it in the wind than any other load (or any other rifle, for that matter).

From my point of view, the target is a very large mule deer, or a small elk. It shouldn't require artillery to take one down.

.30-06 would be fine.
.338 Win Mag would be more than enough.
If I was feeling froggy, I might even drag out the .35 Whelen. I'd just have to be mindful of longer shots and do some work beforehand to get more familiar with the trajectory.

I mean no offense with this comment, but can't come up with a nicer way to say it that still carries the same tone:
If you don't think .270 Win is good enough for the job at 400 yards, it would be idiotic to take a step backward to 7mm-08.
The difference between .270 Win and 7mm-08 can vary, depending upon the particular loads chosen (and especially if handloaded); but you're generally looking at a 200 fps to 300 fps velocity difference for same-weight, same-style bullets. You can boil it down to the 7mm-08 essentially being 7% to 9% less powerful than .270 Win, with that being obvious in muzzle velocities.
If you like the cartridge and want one, that's great - go for it. But this particular argument just doesn't work for me. ;)

7mm-08 is to .270 Win/.280 Rem what .308 Win is to .30-06.

No offense taken. To be a little more informative, I'm going to OX ranch. I had also been thinking about your suggestion, "feeling froggy, .35 Whelen." I really like that cartridge. But like you said, I have to spend the time on the range to feel comfortable with that, at those distances. Which I can do. Hurts the pocket book, but the payoff is worth it. Being in a wheelchair, I have to sit in a stand, or do a modified "safari style." They spook so easy, I figured I'd need to go flat. Really flat. I meant to start no argument. Hell, I like the .270 Win/.280 Rem. Leaning more towards the .280 with better ballistics. I'm not sold on any round, yet... I do enjoy any round with a .284 bullet. But I'm not stuck on a 7mm round. At the moment, .35 Whelens, are not at every corner gun store. I have seen a .35 Rem, though. But I'm not familiar enough with that, to even entertain putting that up here, for an option. Thanks for your opinions. Keep them coming guys.

Last edited:
If going with a .35 Whelen, single shots seem to be the only option at this point. JamesK, has stated to me in the past that H&R shoots minute of deer. So what is the thought on CVA's? I have one of their muzzle loaders, but that's a different breed altogether.

Scimitar Hunt this past Sept.

One of my friends did a Scimitar Oryx hunt this past fall. I was invited to tag along with him. This took place in TX. After stalking them for hours upon end, the closest we were able to get was 327yds. Each time we got closer they bolted. My friend was shooting a 7mm STW out of a Blauser rifle. He shot a mature bull Oryx. The bullet fully penetrated the Oryx, and ended up changing trajectory in the body cavity and upon exiting it struck and killed a calf Oryx too. He was using hand loaded Nosler Partition projectiles.

The bull Oryx weighed just over 600lbs on the scale and the calf weighed in at 400lbs. He got full penetration on both animals.

I highly suggest a caliber that you can shoot accurately out to 400yds, if hunting in TX.

Oryx meat is hands down the best meat (just beating Elk) that I've ever had. Best of Luck on your hunt!!! Post Pictures

Nomad,
That's awesome! I actually read a story about a double Oryx hunt, with a guy shooting a STW. He got them both, but was disappointed with his bullets. Took multiple shots on one Bull, and he felt it still suffered. Ended up switching to his backup .300 win mag, for the second. The article didn't state, if his loads were of his own device or OTC. That's good to know, with a proper bullet in a 7mm, it can be double the fun, at 300+ yards. Two birds, one stone. Might look into the STW, just for fun now. Will definitely post pics. Thanks.

.50 Cal Packer

It was pretty cool to see how well that projectile performed. What sucked... was that he had only paid for the bull hunt. The ranch owner was very courteous and was an excellent host... and didn't ask my friend to pay for the second animal, but feeling bad about killing two instead of one, my friend gave the ranch owner an extra $1,500. The original hunt cost him $3,500 and then the extra $1,500 made for a $5,000 weekend.

That being said, I was seriously impressed with the 7mm STW.

The ranch owner was the one who called the shot and told my friend which bull to shoot.

Here are the pictures of his kill

Attachments

• IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2355.JPG
    IMG_2355.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 91
And More Pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 78
FWIW, the 7mm08, basically, is a .308 with ten grains less bullet weight in the common loadings, 140 vs. 150. Trivial difference in muzzle velocity.

My 26" barrel '06, at 2" high at 100 yards, was dead on at 200, about 6" low at 300, two feet at 400 and on my 500-yard target, four feet low. Sierra 180-grain SPBT.

Never been on the OX, but a bunch of us used to hunt the Vanham, not far west of it on Indian Creek, forty years back.

Nomad,
Those photos, are prime examples of why I want to hunt Scimitar Oryx. They are beautiful and make a gorgeous trophy. Couldn't ask for a better conversation piece.

Art,
I completely get what you're saying. I understand the power difference, between the 7mm-08 and the .270. As mentioned above. But seeing what you're saying about the parent case of the .308, I can put that into better perspective. My .308, has a 22" barrel. It's simply a 200 yard gun. My 30-06, I bought a few months back, also sports a 22" barrel. Not the 26" which can definitely effect a change in ballistics. So, IYHO, which way, would you say, I should lean towards? Would the .35 whelen get me consistent results at 400 yards, or should I stay with my gut and look for a .284 round? All opinions are welcome, even if it's stick to the short 30-06.

I wouldn't have any hearburn using a 30-06 with a 22" barrel. The ballistic advantage that you gain from having a 24" to a 26" barrel is minimum. You certainly don't gain any accuracy from having the longer barrel. It used to be a school of thought that the longer the barrel the more accurate the gun... now days with the loads that we have and the barrel material that we use... the old school of thought is out the window. Sure with a magnum round you need the longer barrel but it isn't for accuracy, its for maximum powder burn.

One thing that happens with a longer barrel is barrel whip. This you really don't notice much with a shorter barrel. I would bet my bottom dollar that your 30-06 with the 22" barrel would be plenty at 400-600 yds to drop big game. People have been hunting elk and moose with that cartridge for years.

My thought would be that what matters more than the longer barrel, is bullet selection. Choosing a projectile that is intended for the big game at that distance. Look heavily at the Nosler Partitions, and the Barnes bullets. Both of those company make some solid large game projectiles.

After processing both of the Scimitar Oryx that my friend shot the only thing that made a solid impact on me was the fact that these animals are heavily bodied. They don't have bullet proof armor, they don't have 2" of plating like hogs have. As long as you use a good performing projectile and can get your shot on target... ie. you do your part, the bullet will do its part.

Its really a means and methods question. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use my Browning X-Bolt .308 with the 22" barrel to harvest a Scimitar Oryx. I would most likely choose a 168gr. Nosler Partition bullet and sight my rifle in at 200yds. If you are ballistically inclined and have a good scope, you should be able to easily hold over or adjust your dope for the shot.

One thing I do know for certain.... it will be a hunt of a lifetime.

A little off the subject here, but I'm also wanting to do an Iranian Red Sheep hunt. From what I understand, they too, have their "boiler makers," real far forward. Is the white tail and mule deer the only quadrupeds that you shoot behind the front shoulder and not at the base of the chest?

i used a 300 wm 180gr bullet on two oryx, waterbuck, worthog, black weldibeast and zebra in africa on my second trip. all one shot kills none over 140 yrds. 300 wm was more than enough gun for those animals. eastbank.

No flies on a 22" '06. My guess would be to use whatever 180-grain load groups the best. If you're comfortable and confident with the gun, it oughta work just fine.

If you really think 400 yards is likely for your hunt, the .30-06 is most likely going to beat .35 Whelen on bullet drop.

The Whelen isn't too far behind with most loads, but it does have at least 25% more drop at 400 and 500 yards (comparing most factory ammo).

If you have a .30-06, shoot it well, and feel that it's set up to get the job done, I'd just be looking for the right ammunition. (Testing possible loads, and going from there. --I assume you shoot only factory ammo.)

Back