Scentfree, is it all its cracked up to be?

Don't know about the scent-free stuff, but

....I am seriously beginning to think the scent LURES are a crock of, well, deer-piddle.

We get the stuff from Wildlife Research or whoever they are. Golden Estrus, Mega-Tarsal, Active-Scrape, you name it, we've distributed it. Maybe I should have invested in a bottle of White Linen, Old Spice, burning cigarettes, or... well, never mind the other mentioned "lure". Although that might be a use for the stuff we scoop up out of the backyard from the dogs.

But seriously, does anybody use those things? Have you ever had them work?

Springmom, who's going for the "White Linen" approach next time I go out by myself

Springmom,

Try "Premium Doe Estrus Plus" its from Hunter Specialties my dad had good results with it and its relativly cheap.

The thing about smelling and scents I think anyways is that people depend too much on masking there smell and applying scents.

The attarctant your using isnt natural to the area's does. So there effiectiveness I think is crippled. :( And as for your smell my hunting mentor smokes while hunting, goes and does both number 1 and 2, and seriously doesnt give one hoot about scent attartances. Funny thing is out of our hunting group of like 8 or so he has killed more deer then anyone else. :D

The 2 best tools you can use while hunting is tracking or patterning the deer and using your deer call effectivly are your best bets. I personally think a deer's nose is highly over rated. Well that or they are just dumb :cool:

And Springmom I'd try the Old Spice deorderant agian just for kicks but I wouldnt do the smoking part as I dont smoke and me starting just to kill a deer or 2 wouldnt happen :p

Mind you take all my information as just opinion as I havnt killed/fallowed/found a deer yet in my life. I am just relaying what I have been told/seen done in successful hunts of my hunting partners. I really wish I didnt lose that one deer I saw (the only deer I ever saw while hunting too) and shot and hit with my crossbow (yes while I was wearing the Old Spice) :o

Dimitri

i bow hunt almost everyday and bag deer regularly and almost always tag out. for any body who say's camo is not an issue... corrert deer are color blind they see shades and out lines. if you are still and have something in front of you to block movement you are clear. noise well lets just say that i can walk through the woods a probley crunch five leaves and hell yeah noisie matter i got down wind while my noisey buddy tromped thruoght the woods and he ran five right in fornt of me. he said he never seen them so you get it.if i go to the woods i am in regular hardwoods hd silenthide camo head to toe sent free rubber boots and so on. it is about noise and wind. but if you cover well you can pretty much just hunt. for you dudes that dont... how many have you slmmed w/ a bow or do you just rifle hunt. and how much success do you have doing that. as far as tropheys?

tracked deer tracking me

I sat my swamp stand one night and saw nothing. it snowed about 1 inch that night so the next morning I went out checking tracks and found a big set and started following .when he came upon my tracks from the day before
he followed them about 30 towards the house and then back past about 30 yards towards my stand. afterwards he circled out of the area.

my point is if you underestimate a deers sense of smell you may take the young deer but you will probably not even know the the big ones exist.because even in farm country a smart older deer knows the difference between a smell and a smell out of place

this year the biggest deer we saw[14 pt] was in the 5 acres of grass behind the barn. he was seen there 5 times shot at 4 times by 3 hunters and still made it through the gun season. we watched from the kitchen window several times as he circled hunters who had no idea he was there.

so if your happy with young deer dont worry about scent but if want the older deer you better pay attention

Back