scent away and pricey camo

upstate81

From 250 dollar scent lok suits to of all things scent away chapstick, does any of this stuff really work? I was always taught deer are color blind and hunt with people that wear solid blaze orange. So why buy all this special "bow hunting" gear? Soaking youself in spray constantly a must or a gimmick? Seems like a lot of marketing to me. :rolleyes: isnt washing your gear in baking soda and keeping it in a plastic tote until in the field enough? How many people hunt in jeans and a sweat shirt just fine? Lets hear some thoughts on this subject.

Scentlock stuff is a scam IMO.

Camo is much overhyped. It can help when bowhunting and they get close, I believe, if you're not in a tree (if you hunt from the ground as I do).

I think you're onto something. Just wear something subdued and medium tone, with orange, facing the wind, and SIT STILL.

Last edited:
My brother in law is obsessed with that stuff. He even uses scent away deodorant! He spends more time worrying about his scent than he does shooting!! I think people spent too much time watching the outdoor channel. I honestly dont shower the morning before i hunt suit up and go. Seems ok for me. Then again i dont spot and stalk or avidly bow hunt

Bowhunters are the "fly fishermen" of the hunting world. Trinkets, gadgets, and sorcery are tools of the trade for them. Now, I'm all for watching the wind and not spilling gasoline on your hunting clothes but some of the clothing claims are a step beyond believable.
I have seen videos of game getting "touchable" close to people wearing the full package of scent control so I know it happens. BUT. Once upon a time, I saw 4 bucks walk over a place where I'd taken a dump an hour before.
When I was guiding, a bow hunter showed up with freshly laundered(dried with a fragrance sheet). He was absolutely certain he'd not see a deer. I grabbed his camo and rubbed down the kids' pet billy goat. The hunter was on his stand less than 30 minutes before sticking a deer @10 yards. When walking to a stand, I try to find some cow manure to step in and rub over my boots. Makes perfect scent cover for walking. Deer smell cows all the time around here.

I hunt in Surplus Bundeswehr Flecktarn (blends in very well). I walk to my place and I imagine that gets most of the "human scent off" between the various leaves, trees, and the wind.

My Dad (1922-2004) always said that deer can not see a motionless hunter wearing a plaid jacket. He was wise about the ways of deer. I downed this muley while wearing my Dad's older jacket.

Jack

Many think that color blind means you only see in black and white. That is completely FALSE. Being color blind means you cannot tell the difference between certain colors. You still see in color, it is just that in some cases 2 different colors look exactly alike to a person, or animal who is color blind. With humans it varies by person. To some red and black appear exactly alike, with others it could be blue and green.

Deer very much see in color, and camo certainly can help. It is most effective in preventing deer from seeing movement. Sitting perfectly still will make you all but invisible to most big game, but when it comes time move to shoot the camo will help.

Deer certainly do see in color, but to them the blaze orange that seems to jump out as something different to most human eyes simply blends in as a natural color to most big game. Most birds however have eyes most like humans, it really stands out to them.

Hunters have been trying to cover or disguise their scent for at least 10,000 years. Every group of people down through history have had their own methods. Today we buy it in a bottle or try to design clothes that will help eliminate scent. How effective it is may be questionable, but the principle is sound.

I've found through many decades that pretty much any dull, not-shiny clothing is adequate camouflage. Mostly it's a matter of being still and working the wind.

I've noticed that people who wear camo are more visible when walking than people wearing khaki in open country or dull greens/browns in woods and brush.

For bird hunting, however, camo is a good thing. Birds definitely see colors. I have read that the wildlife biologists claim that doves shun any blue color. Camo helps with ducks/geese/turkey, but it wouldn't matter when walking when hunting quail.

Jack, i always enjoy your photos they're the best. My grandfather wore that exact same jacket in the woods! Worked for decades right? Jmr40 and Art, i totally agree hunting all birds and definitely predators the need for camo is much more. But deer? Im not so sure. I wear it for cold weather because all zippers and materials for hunting clothes are QUIET. Very important in my mind. However when its like 45 or 50 out, im wearing jeans muck boots and a sweat shirt. If only carhartt made a good hunting line lol

Last edited:
Interesting comments both ways. My experience tells me Deer can hear and smell things you would not believe. Before the days of modern camo ( I'm 60) I used to hunt in plaid flannel shirts of any color. As long as I was still and quiet the Deer would walk right up for me to arrow. I think the camo is more a confidence builder for the hunter. I think camo helps for hunters that can't be still for long periods or are noisy. I was hunting with my cousin and we were wearing camo. He was somewhat noisy and moved a lot. The Deer would hear the noise and look but the camo seemed to confuse them. Camo can give you an edge where movement and noise are issues but otherwise probably not. From a Deer's perspective I doubt if he cares what you are wearing when you nail him ... LOL

A good dosing of skunk essence can mask your scent for a bit longer. Nothing else really works.

Scent-wise, the best thing you can do is tromp around your hunting area every day and urinate often. Make yourself a normal part of the landscape.

I'm up in the air about camouflaging, I don't think it hurts. Good natural concealment is best. A shadowy bush, recess in a hillside excetera.... Even at night.

So if you can put the wind away from your prey, study patterns, remain in a covered or dark lurking spot; you can leave all the rock star trinkets at home and wait for the critter to just walk on by.

Funny this just happened saturday evening. My brother in law was on stand and had a nice doe hang up in brush on him. He sent me a text saying "i dont get it i took a scent free shower put on scent away deodorant and sprayed like crazy". I asked where the wind was. He said opposite of her nose! She was snorting and carrying on. Clearly scented him. I thought that was interesting. Thats why its called hunting not killing.

Animals have very short attention spans.
Just letting them get used to you being there goes a long way to being ignored.
It's doubtful that any equipment we might buy will substitute for that.

Deer can smell as good as a blood hound. NOTHING will cover human scent if the wind is going from you to them. I've killed somewhere around one-hundred-sixty to one-hundred-seventy deer over the last fifty-four years. Lots of them were with a bow at under twenty yards. Save your money on scent lock cloths, hats, etc. You're just making a donation to the manufacturer. It's like buying the Emporer's Cloths. It doesn't work.

I always stepped in every wet cow patty in my path during coyote hunts. No lie. If they were as close together as stepping stones even better.
I would also hug my favorite donkey as much as possible.

As mentioned before, minding the wind and being a normal part of the landscape is the key.
I tried all the stuff I'll admit. Had no effect.

When I mind the wind, I've had animals come within a few yards.

K.I.S.S.

I don't bath in scent away, I do wash my clothes with products that do not contain UV brighteners (those are "scent away") I don't use scent away deodorant, and I don't religiously use the sprays. I use home made lye soap (made from deer fat) I let my cloths get rained on and dry, and I only use the spray if I come in contact with foreign smells ( like getting gas). I have killed many,many deer with archery equipment within 20 yards some being down wind.

I don't feel you will ever be able to make yourself "invisible" to a deer's nose, but the trick is to make it think you are further away then you really are.

Hard to even buy non-camo hunting clothes these days and then you slap a big orange vest or whatever on top of it. But you certainly look cool.

I personally think the old style Woolrich clothing is plenty of "camo" in colder times of the year. I definitely like camo for archery, but have stopped doing the archery thing.

Scent block might be an okay thing during archery season, but any other time, I don't see much point as long as you pay attention to the wind and are still.

The pee thing (human pee and scent.....) well, I think that is a sham for the most part as I have had deer walk right up to me and then remain perfectly calm standing right where I just pee'd 15 minutes before hand.

Back