Scandium Smiths

New management has stated that they will abide by the agreement. If the agreement is dormant for now, it can rise up and bite us as soon as there is a change in the white house. Either a change in people or a change in the actions of the present people.

If we keep the pressure on we accomplish two things. One; we are telling Smith and the Govmnt that we don't approve of blackmail. Two; we are showing support for the brave companies that at great risk did not sign the agreements.

Sam

As for the internal lock...it makes sense to me...I like to take my weapon off visiting friends and I always unload it and stash the rounds in my pocket....kids aren't my only concern...unknowledgeable adults love do the stupidest thiings also....a quick twist with that key would be much simpler....uh oh, better get my fire exitnguisher out.....

Depending on a trigger lock to function correctly and save someone from the effects of stupidity is unwise and dangerous. There is nothing good about relying on this type of lock to be either on or off at the appropriate time.

I have a &W 642. That's a 15 oz .38 Spcl. With 158 gr. +P, it just plain hurts. It has a very short sight radius, and the sights suck big time. Add to that the long DA trigger pull, and it's a hard gun to shoot accurately. If you're going to carry a snubbie, you'd best be practicing a lot. I don't practice much with my 642 because after 10 rounds, I'm done with it. Darn thing just hurts to much.

Now why, exactly, would I want to spend twice as much money to get a 12 oz. .357 Magnum? If you're going to shoot .357 magnums out of it enough to get good with it, then you're a better man than I.

The scandium smiths are just a way to turn money into recoil.

M1911

I agree. I shoot nothing but 158s (non plus P) out of my 642. After 25 rounds or so I'm done. I have to force myself to practice with it.

justin

Hold off....In 2003 Smith is switching from Scandium to tiallium....it is half the weight....I can't wait to shoot that 6 ounce 357 with full power loads.....my only conden is after i buy it Smith will come out with a 3 ounce scantanium in .44 mgnum......

A few weeks ago, there was a thread re S&W revolvers we would purchase if the agreement were abrogated. Many of us had desires -- personally, I would buy full-size 610 and 625 "N" frames -- but we all agreed that the boycott is legitimate, having a real and adverse impact on Smith, and should continue. What has changed in the last two months? Is there any reason a responsible gun owner -- and Second Amendment advocate -- should buy a new Smith now?
:mad:

Or Ruger, Remington, Taurus, or any of the mulititude of ammunition makers who do not sell premium self-defence ammo to civillians such as Winchester.

The S&W agreements are far more onerous than everything Ruger, Taurus and Remington put together have done..........Sam

In your opinion, but I still think that Ruger is worse because they have done more to actual harm to gun owner rights in the US due to their help in writing and helping pass anti-gun legislation. Smith is a runner up though. I won't be buying Smith's new guns with their "smart-gun lite" technology of the built-in, non-removable gun lock. I find it both a "sell out" and a totally undesired feature.

Ruger indeed did bad, but let us not forget that Smith backed Ruger's play on the magazine emasculation.

The contracts that Smith signed with the devil, if and/or when fully implemented will do far more damage to owners, dealers, distrubutors etc than Ruger's sell out.

It seems that the heat/boycott generated over the Smith agreements has done a lot to keep the agreements from being fully implemented. If we keep the heat on, just maby they will do what is necessary to get the agreements voided officialy. Even if it takes another ownership change and reorginization.

I truly hate to see Smith go but I can't see supporting them as long as they say they will abide with the agreements.

Sam

The scandium smiths are just a way to turn money into recoil.

Ha ha, very witty! Three points.

Seriously, I shoot a 342 a lot and even with regular .38 loads it's a handful. I use a full stainless version for regular practice. In my opinion, it's not a question of whether you're "man enough" to take it, it's a question of whether effective follow-up shots can be delivered in a reasonable period of time, and .38 +P loads are very borderline in the 442/642/342. I haven't shot a Scandium .357M, but I would be shocked if it's more than a one-shot revolver in practical terms.

As far as the key lock goes and your carry habits, you can do what you wish. I will just say that relying on devices like this is, in my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen. It will be locked when you need it unlocked, or unlocked when you "need" it locked...the key will get lost...and the lock may very well engage (or disengage) at unwanted times just because it malfunctions. The Remington 870s had a similar safety that could be engaged without the key, accidentally. No thanks...the best and only safety is in each of our heads and hands.

JNewell:

To give credit where credit is due, I didn't make up that line, someone else around here did.

M1911

but going back to the subject of the thread, the Scandium Smiths are readily available in Miami/FtLauderdale. Oshmanns, Jet's, and I some independent stocking dealers are carrying them. The clerk at Oshmans said they can't keep them in stock. Of course, most are probably going straight to Columbia or Ecuador, but who is counting? Price here is around $550

Mannlicher. I'm in Miami Beach, and I was actually at Oshman's at the Dolphin mall yesterday, but didn't see any. If you see one locally, please tell me!

Mannlicher. I just spoke to both Jet's and Oshman's, and neither one has ever seen the Scandium models (though there are some Titaniums in stock). If you have any more info, I'd appreciate it.

I guess it had to happen sooner or later, I made a mistake. I seem to have mixed up the titanium model with the soon to come Scandium model. Sorry guys.

Back