Scandium Smiths

branrot

I emailed S&W to ask when the Scandiums are going to be available, and they told me that they are "shipping them now". Has anyone (especially someone who sells guns) actually seen them? What is the quality? How much are they going for? Is the demand high?

Has anyone (especially someone who sells guns) actually seen them? What is the quality? How much are they going for? Is the demand high?
Not yet. According to my sources, as good as the Airweight and Ti guns have always been. $=yikes!. A few people have been asking about them; less inquiries than I got about the G36 or Raging Hornet during their prolonged gestation, but more than the .480 Ruger or Winchester's 9410.

When they say "shipping them now", that means that they are on there way to distributors and have not quite made it to the retail market. Most all stocking dealer purchase there firearms from distributors. Saw them at Shot Show in January and they look just like Airlites, but black in color and a stainless steel plate underneath the top strap, just above the forcing cone. Price is going to be about $80 more than the Airlite and that will push the price up just over $600 a copy.

Robert

Big G:

They are in fact J-frame snubbies. The advantage of these is that they are about as light as the titanium guns, but can handle .357 magnums.

I can't wait to hear the p!$$!ng and m0@ning about the recoil. :eek: The titanium 38s are apparently too much for a lot of shooters. Wait'l they touch off a 125 gr 357 in a 12 oz snub! :D

According to the S&W rep that was in our store several weeks ago, the Scandium guns should be on the dealer shelves some time in August....Kalifornia was holding them up on certification.

Well, shucks. $500 is my limit for a Centennial unless it is hand engraved and gold inlayed. The titanium set me back that much and I don't think I want another one that bad. Maybe when one of the nimrods turns his in after touching off 5 hot ones I can pick one up.

I have four of em already, two airweights, a 9mm, and the titanium 38 +P. I guess I'm a Centennialaholic.

I think I'm gonna trade my titanium for the scandium. Not saying I'm gonna be shooting off a bunch of .357's from it, but I'd like to have the option.

I think it is a marketing ploy. A desperate attempt to increase sales. Untill they find a way to negate their onerous agreements I will have nothing to do with increasing their income.

Recoil is good for letting us seniors know it went off but some good things can be carried to far......

Sam

they will go bust on these.600 bucks for a snubie?smiths in deep doo doo for sure.they need to lower all their handgun prices and try to really move some guns.

I'm hoping everyone runs out and buys a scandium so I can pick up a 442 or 642 for a good price. 14.5 ounces is plenty light for me and the action on them is much smoother than the titanium guns.

Here's another problem...according to the S&W website, new revolvers are coming with a key lock on the frame. Doesn't say which, or when, by the Sc models just might arrive with this lock.

What's up with the agreement?

If I recall correctly, John Ascroft is nixing the S&W/HUD agreement as we speak. Stocking S&W dealer in my neighborhood is carrying high cap mags, "assault weapons", and so on, and says the agreement is D.O.A. with the Bush administration. I bet this thing passes silently away. Don't look for an annoucement from the Bush administration on this one, they don't want the P.R. nightmare of explaining to the million mommies why the "safe gun" agreement was nixed
:D

Is this a forum for gun enthusiasts or masochists? My friend's M60 gives plenty o'recoil in .357 for me, and my 15 oz. M638 is no pushover either. Why this desire for painful shooting? Actually, the question is not whether you can handle the recoil, but will you enjoy it?

Back