Saw this at my local LGS for $139

GaryED50

Could not pass it up.
IMG-0034.jpg

They're ok guns for the money. I bought one back in the day just because I was curious whether they were as bad as people in forums claimed. I was pleasantly surprised when I took it out to the range the first time. Always went bang and was really soft shooting because of the massive slide. Slow cycling, however - also due to the slide.

I now have 3 of the 9mms and 1 of the 45's. Don't need them but nice to have extras to hand out to neighbors if the time ever comes. Nice to have an extra in a tool box, too. :)

For that kind of money, I would buy one for curiosity as well. My brother is a Big CZ fan. But he will always give a good laugh when I talk to him on the phone when I mention his old High point. And he will be glad to tell you that it is still shooting. I would get one in 45.cal. Actually makes a lot of sense in this crazy ammo shortage. Why pay more for a firearm for home defense when you can't shoot very often. Looks like a easy gun to shoot and handle with the large size.

Pretty interesting to watch the 40.cal torture test. Gun get shot and still runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZdUgBzh7Y

Last edited:
Its 9mm. Its model is C9 and you can read 9mm on the slide.

I used to have one but I got it used. I'm pretty sure something was wrong with it, because it jammed every 2 or 3 rounds.

I tried a bunch of different ammo types to no avail. Probably just needed to buy some new mags.

It was an extra gun and I didn't need it. I sold it to a guy with full disclosure who wanted to have one. They aren't common in IL because of our melting point law.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You can tell at a glance it's a 9mm, because the 380's have a silver colored band around the slide. At least they used to.

I had a 9mm some years ago. Another who bought it to see if they were as bad as everyone said they were. "Everyone" being one particular guy here on TFL who apparently had a High Point kick sand in his face and take his lunch money, and his prom date at some point. He never missed a chance to rip them, every chance he got. Apparently he'd owned/fired hundreds of them and not one ever worked.

Anyway I did a couple thousand rounds through mine before I got bored with it. Darn thing just chugged along. I cleaned it with WD-40, paper towels, and used a pencil as a cleaning rod. Took it apart once, and got it back together, but decided never to do that again. When I sold it, it looked like the day I bought it, and I got more for it than I paid.

What's not to like?

Edited to add: In the interest of full disclosure, I did have six malfunctions with it during that time. Four of them came out of one box of range reloads. I forget the details on the other two.

Last edited:
It’s a HiPpint. They’re ugly. They’re clunky. They feel a little funky in hand. But, the ones I’ve shot/been around have gone bang every time. Not something I’d want to pack around due to the weight and size, but for killing soda cans, or a nightstand gun, would be just fine.

For $139, not a bad deal………..but not as good as the $1 I paid for my RG30.

I wonder how many of the millions of new gun purchasers will actually be going to gun ranges these days and in the future. I would bet that a huge percentage will not go but maybe once or twice a year. How many will be looking for basic home protection? How many on a budget? Especially when 9mm ammo is ridiculously high. Yea, they could get A Sig M17 for around $900 which weighs about the same, and has a low recoil and easy to shoot. Or a High Point which actually has a lower recoil rate.
It appears that the High Point is accurate, and reliable. At least from what I have seen doing a little research.
Plus P rated. single-stack pistol that consists of a polymer frame, zinc-alloy slide and bolt (with steel reinforcing inserts), and a steel breech, chamber and barrel.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some fine guns now that some actually call ugly. But is the New Newbie on a budget concerned about Beauty?

I love this video clip. PRETTY, VERY PRETTY BUT CAN THEY FIGHT COLONEL? (What kind of firearm you carrying son? Hi Point Sir.
General- Never heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtNf_B4U2o

Last edited:
Good price!!!

That's a good price for a Hi-point.

I've owned two. First one had to go back to manufacturer, but ran fine after that. Second one no problems right out of the box.

I eventually sold off both of them, but when I see one for $150 or less . . . I get tempted.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Yea, they could get A Sig M17 for around $900 which weighs about the same, and has a low recoil and easy to shoot. Or a High Point which actually has a lower recoil rate.

First, unless you’re talking the collector’s version of the M17 you can find them for around $700, but that’s not my main point. My main point would be there are a ton of pistols for prices between what a Hi Point costs and a price of $900. A person may not be able to justify spending an addition $750, but an additional $120 for say a Taurus G3 might not be as much of a stretch.

I have nothing against people with limited budgets being able to afford some form of self protection, but I also think people tend to appreciate Hi Points to a level that is perhaps exaggerated.

https://youtu.be/flVBPpKG4zA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, unless you’re talking the collector’s version of the M17 you can find them for around $700, but that’s not my main point. My main point would be there are a ton of pistols for prices between what a Hi Point costs and a price of $900. A person may not be able to justify spending an addition $750, but an additional $120 for say a Taurus G3 might not be as much of a stretch.

I have nothing against people with limited budgets being able to afford some form of self protection, but I also think people tend to appreciate Hi Points to a level that is perhaps exaggerated.

I was not trying to be specific about the actual cost of a M17 nor pricing out extra mags etc. If you prefer $700 or $500.00 use it. I think most readers got the point.
Yes, most people in Normal times would spend the difference, but this is NOT normal times by any means. I have no idea about the quality of the High Point nor reliability. I think enough posters have attributed experience to that. But there are people that want security, but even $50.00 can be a lot of money. Single mother, family that lost job etc.
I am not sure what I would do in that position. I think I would consider the Hi Point. Ammo, range fees and on and on. It adds up quick even for those that can afford more.
What I do know is that there are some $150.00 single shot shotguns out there as well, and I know for a fact they are very reliable. But I am sure some folks would take exception to that as well and say spend more.

Last edited:
In my experience, and that’s all that I can speak for, people that buy Hi Points do so generally because of a lack of money or because they’re curious how good/bad those pistols are. In the first case those people are generally not people that shoot much. In some cases they may fire a grand total of one box through the pistol a year or maybe only once ever (and this was true well before the current shortages and pricing increases). I have yet to meet the Hi Point owner that shoots 100 rd of ammunition a week, though I’m sure it exists. If you’re shooting to any extent the cost of ammunition, even before the current situation, will eclipse the cost of the pistol (even more expensive pistols) relatively quickly. Even in the good ole days a case of brass cases 9mm was often more expensive than a Hi Point itself.

I bring this up because while some firearms right now are quite expensive, I haven’t seen a dramatic shift in prices of pistols local to me. Ammunition is certainly another story, although again locally to me it has come down from $0.60 a round to $0.40 a round and hopefully that trend continues. My point is many, many gun owners are not shooters. They barely shoot to begin with. If the prices of pistols are generally the same as before, the fact that ammunition has gone up may very well not change their buying habits when it comes to those pistols. At the stores local to me this has been true. Now that the rush of people buying their first time pistol and the 1-2 boxes of ammo to go with it has subsided I see availability a lot better than it once was as many of these people aren’t currently or aren’t planning to be shooters. They want the pistol “just in case”, and in that situation the cost of ammunition isn’t a big factor for them.

Main reason I bought is for a range toy. the low price was impossible to pass by. I used to own a Hi point JCP and it never failed to go boom for me. Heading to the range Tuesday I'll post the results after

Gary

I have always thought it is amazing how many people actually do not go to the range very often. Before the shortage I was a range rat shooting 2,000 rds of 9mm alone each month. Obviously the shortage hurts folks like myself a lot more than the normal gun owner. I sold a LCP to a friend about 5 years ago with the caveat that he would go to the range and spend a lot of time with it. I spoke to him recently and he has yet to even shoot it. People buy shotguns all the time, and yet they stay in the closet.
I was at the indoor range yesterday. Trying to keep up my skills with the LCR22 and LCP22. The place was DEAD! No centerfire ammo to speak of, no 9mm.
I did score 250 rds of 20ga birdshot. Which is weird because 20ga is hard to find in good times. I picked up a case last week and thought it would surely be gone yesterday, but still plenty left.

Getting back to the High Point. Yes if this were normal times, I would love to get one just go mess around with. Use it for a truck gun or Swamp boat gun etc. I have read where owners actually buy them to mod them up. I guess it is a hobby thing. Taking something not of much value and tinkering with it. Actually kind of cool in that respect.

Life is to short to play with junk if you have better. I use to have all kind of cheap pistols and a bucket of good ones. Got rid of the junk and shoot the good stuff. It’s like money you can’t take them with you.

IMHO an excellent assessment. I also think some may exaggerate about the Hi Point pistols to the point that someone might read that and think there is no reason to get a "better" pistol even though they may have the means to do so and would probably appreciate spending more for a "better" pistol once they experienced it.

I am glad that people can buy Hi Point pistols and they seem to be reasonably reliable but not top tier reliable as some may lead others to believe. Even Hickok45 had problems getting his new C9 going into battery during his review of it.

Certainly looks like OP got a good deal on his Hi Point.

I get a kick out of people who bash the Hi-points. Most all say they function reliably, are ok with most all ammo and are decently accurate. So they are blow back with huge slides, they function, People are ok with a 4 figure hand gun that "needs to break in" before it can be trusted. How is a pistol that costs over 1K and not work out of the box ok, but a cheap reliable pistol is not? What is "junk"? a gun that out of the box works or one you have to mess with to get it to function? Heck there was a bash the 1911 thread not long ago because they supposedly don’t work as made. I have Hi-point pistols in 45, 9 and 380, and carbines in 9 and 45. All work fine, pull the trigger they shoot. And I have hand guns I have spent 1K for, 1911s, revolvers of all kinds. I like my Hipoints and if I seen one on the shelf for 139, you bet I’d grab another one. Some folks only want a recreational gun that will work and they can enjoy shooting.

Back