Saw An Interesting .45-70 Bolt Rifle...

"...Gibbs rifle in 45-70..." Made until 2004. Is a bubba'd No. 4 or No. 1 Lee-Enfield. A No. 4 Rifle is not an SMLE. As I recall, most if not all of the receivers Gibbs butchered were from DP'd rifles. They called their Quest Extreme Carbine an updated No. 5 Rifle. Nonsense. No 5 Rifles were modified No. 4 Rifles, not No. 1's.
If there's a bear on top of you, it's too late.
"...I'm 99% certain..." Nope. Electroless nickel plate on a No. 1 receiver
"...would cost you about $12..." $12 was more money in those days.

Adjusting for inflation, $12 in 1955, when these rifles were available, is the equivalent to about $120 today.

Today an unaltered Siamese Mauser can cost you $500, $1,000, or more.

But most Alaskans lean toward conventional and reasonable firearms for the Bush. Thats one of the reasons Alaska chose the pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06 as their State Rifle.

I hate to bust a bubble, that was done by a legislature who slipped it into a bill. No one was asked he just did it.

If there is any rifle to Alaska that is iconic, it would be the 1903.

Back in the day before the Big Hats showed up, 30-06 was the rifle of choice as it was the rifle and cartridges available. I own one from my Step Dads father that took 6 grizzlies. No idea of how many moose, Elk (Idaho) and deer.

Now the rage goes back and forth as to what is the right gun for the dangerous Brown/Grizzly bear. Louis and Clark shot them with muskets. I would call that sub optimal and they would have agreed.

As for SHTF, not being one of the regulars, I'd call a Kodiak or Polar bear on top of me a SHTF situation!
I can guarantee it would be a crap in the pants situation for me!
No man on the planet scares me, but 1,500 pounds of muscle, teeth & claws is entirely a different story.

That would be SHYP (nasty stuff and a spontaneous expelling of said substance while still dressed)

On the other hand, I left them alone and they left me alone. Worked for 60 some odd years.

Polar bears are more like black bears, they are scroungers, not that hard to kill.

Brown bear is easy enough if its not ticked off. I know of two that were taken down by 9mm pistols. One by a Ruskie 5.45.

I have a Gibbs Enfield 45/70 I inherited from my Dad. I haven't shot it in several years, but as I remember it was problematic feeding the rounds. Maybe with a little work I could improve it. As I remember, I certainly wouldn't want to put my life on the line with it.

Jerry

Back