Savage vs Browning vs Ruger

I know you live near Williamsport, that's why i mentioned it. ;)

3 lbs lighter is not a good thing if looking for a designated long range target rifle.

Just say'n... :D

If I were to choose the new Browning released at shot show last week. The Max Varmint/Target. That would bring all three rifles to within a pound of each other.

Loaded with bipod and optics, they would all weigh in at about 15-16 pounds.

The Browning and Ruger both have a brake installed already. If I wanted a brake on the Savage I would have to thread the barrel for one.

"Smooth and slick have nothing to do with accurate."

Reynolds357:Could you show me where I made a comment on accuracy in that post. My oversight, I missed your post on experience with these firearms.
I was not debating what you said. I was adding to it.
I have a couple of the Savage LRP along with sbout 30 various other Savages. One LRP has been rebarreled to 6.5x284 and the other to 6x284. I have seen a few of the Ruger LRT shoot.
Carry on. Carry on.

Browning has been marketing based on the name for eons. Ruger is getting that way. Savage is and always has been the best bang for your buck based on out of the box accuracy.
"...6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC..." Think I'd go Creedmoor just because the ammo and brass is more readily available. And the 6.5 PRC is a Hornady proprietary cartridge that is only loaded by Hornady and No$ler at this time. Midway shows 70 loads for the Creed.
They also show only Hornady brass for the PRC. Six brands for the Creed.
Either way, if you opt for the PRC, buy as much brass as you can afford at the same time. The Marketing MBA's running Hornady(et al) think nothing of discontinuing stuff with no regard for their existing customers. Having a pile of brass means you won't get stuck.

Browning has been marketing based on the name for eons. Ruger is getting that way. Savage is and always has been the best bang for your buck based on out of the box accuracy.
"...6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC..." Think I'd go Creedmoor just because the ammo and brass is more readily available. And the 6.5 PRC is a Hornady proprietary cartridge that is only loaded by Hornady and No$ler at this time. Midway shows 70 loads for the Creed.
Either way, if you opt for the PRC, buy as much brass as you can afford at the same time. The Marketing MBA's running Hornady(et al) think nothing of discontinuing stuff with no regard for their existing customers. Having a pile of brass means you won't get stuck.
The 6.5 Creed is as much Hornadays proprietery cartridge as the 6.5 prc. Neither are proprietary by the way.

I agree with Basically everything said here. The Brass problem you brought up is a good tip. I plan to buy at least 500 pieces at a time.

Reynolds357: Sorry, if I misunderstood you. No offense meant. With your experience, it would be very helpful to OP for you to have been more specific.

If I were buying a long range factory rifle it would be a hard choice between Ruger and Savage based on experience.

I agree. Stock up on brass and primers now on anything. There is no such thing as too much brass or primers.

Reynolds357: Sorry, if I misunderstood you. No offense meant. With your experience, it would be very helpful to OP for you to have been more specific.

If I were buying a long range factory rifle it would be a hard choice between Ruger and Savage based on experience.

I agree. Stock up on brass and primers now on anything. There is no such thing as too much brass or primers.
Thats fine. The Savage is accurate. I think The Ruger Precision Rifle can compete with it. From what I have seen, I dont think the Hawkeye can compete with it out of the box.

Either cartridge is not known as heavy recoil.
Too heavy a recoil may loosen the tie on your Manbun. :D

Muzzle brakes are not allowed in matches anyways.

If I decide to shoot matches with it I can always put the thread protector on it. For me at long range the brake make sit easier to spot my shots on impact. Recoil isn't really a concern for me in this situation

Maybe over the course of the next year I should buy all three of them and do an in depth detailed comparison. Can't think of anything I would rather spend my time doing

Either cartridge is not known as heavy recoil.
Too heavy a recoil may loosen the tie on your Manbun. :D

Muzzle brakes are not allowed in matches anyways.
I just checked the rules at Williamsport for both light gun and heavy gun matches. Muzzle brakes are indeed allowed for both classes.

Why does the 20” tube on the Tikka make you shy away? Are you going for extreme long range? That 20” barrel will still get you to at least 1000 yards in a 6.5 Creed.

I had that same Tikka, and it would print consistent .5” 5-shot groups at 100yds with the occasional .4” group. Did I mention I planned to reload for it but those accuracy figures were shooting factory Hornady ammo?
It will have the best bolt of the group, and the trigger is very very good and user adjustable. No take up, clean break, little to no overtravel. I was a savage fan until other mfg caught on and started producing the same style rifles but with better designed components such as the extractors. Savage design is good for the average shooter. Bad for the range warrior who will shoot a couple hundred rounds a week or more.

Tikka gets my vote.

I am not sure that Savage is "Bad" for anything. When I am not busy it is nothing for me to go through a few hundred rounds in a week.

The 20 inch barrel is a turn off for me, because of the loss in velocity. With the 6.5 Creedmoor and the loads/powder I have been using I benefit a great deal from the longer tubes. To the tune of 50 fps per inch or more. This is from a small batch of rifles, but 3 22 inch barreled 6.5 creedmoor rifles, 2 with a 24 inch barrel and 1 with a 26 inch barrel show a pretty linear increase in velocity using Reloder 26 powder I have been shooting.

The 24 inch tubes were on average 80-110 fps faster than the 22 inch barreled rifles with identical loads. The 26 inch tube was an additional 75 fps faster on average from the two 24 inch tubes. Maybe this is a fluke, but I'll stand by the data that I have collected myself.

I have no doubt that the 20 inch tube will get me to 1000 yards. I do however know that a shorter rifle is not what I am looking for.

If I was looking for a .308 Win the 20 inch tube would not bother me. The larger bore and faster burning powder will show less loss than the 6.5 Creedmoor with a slow magnum powder.

What do you mean by "Best Bolt"? Like do you mean stronger, smoother, tighter tolerance? What about that bolt besides the extractor make it superior to all the others? The Ruger has a non rotating claw extractor. I find it hard to believe that any extractor setup would be more reliable than that.

I have noticed problems with the Ejector on some Savage rifles when running hot loads, but the only one I have ever broken was replaced by Savage in less than a week. How long would I have to wait for a replacement part From Beretta? I assume Beretta imports those rifles? Will I have to pay for international shipping? Will I be able to get someone on the phone in the case that I have a problem? I am sure the Tikkas are fine, but just not what I am looking for. In fact I plan to buy a Tikka T-3x in 30-06 next week for a Project a friend of mine and I are working on. We are buying Standard walnut hunting rifles from many manufacturers and making detailed comparisons on value, accuracy, quality and what not. I guess I will see how the Tikka compares to the others then.

Back