Savage Stevens 200 setup for a novice

Battle66delta-I think you took the advice offered in good spirit.

Post #19 seems like you've taken it all in and made your decision and I hope you get to have some fun with the gun.

If money is really tight I remember having some good luck with low cost scopes, in particular a Bushnell that I got cheap and has served me well for a long time. Disclaimer: the rifle I've got it mounted on is a .270 Winchester but neither the rifle or the scope has seen any 'harsh conditions'...pretty much a range toy.

Despite my experience with the low cost Bushnell I go with most other folk here and would advise to save up and get something really good that can stand up to rough treatment...the old 'buy once, cry once' philosophy. And of course if you decide to go with a scope pay attention to eye relief so none of your family get a case of 'scope eye'.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Hope you stick around.

P.S. I have a coupe firearms that have a personal story with me, like your .270, that I won't get rid of even though I don't shoot them much. It seems to be a fairly common occurrence.

A lot of old timers, yup even older than me, use the high see through rings.
Theory is that is scope messed up you could just look at the open sights below the scope.

So either you were stretching up to see through the scope, or you got nailed in the forehead with the scope when you shot looking at the open sights.

I was always told choose one or the other.
Since there is no provision for open sights on the 200, then i'd recommend a scope.
Done right as i had said, then if your up to it the rifle should shoot under 1MOA all day long.

It's a real kick the first couple of times you hit steel at 1000 yards.

Back