Savage scout rifle

Finally, Agtman, those scoped MiniG's of yours...........man they're neat.

Thanks, 'Bama!

The '06 Mini-G 'hunter' is still something of a work-in-progress, but we'll see how it goes. Trying to develop a 200gn and 220gn hog and black bear load @ about 2400-2500fps, using Schuster's adjustable plug to dail them in.

The heavy factory '06 stuff actually shoots pretty well, like Remy's 220gn Core-Lokt & Federal's 220gn Speer Hot-Cor SP.

Last edited:
I don't like any of those rifle's, they are all ugly! Wh*ll about.at the anti's will at some point raise hat make's it a scout rifle, where did the name come from? Look's to my like we are simply opening another door for some type a military rifle the anti's will raise h*ll about.

Dude, unless that was sarcasm you really might want to hit the Decaf button on your morning coffee before posting. Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Last edited:
More info on the actual goal of the Scout Rifle, excerpted from the 1984 Gun Digest annual:

concept2.jpg

A practical, general purpose rifle.

Sounds like he is talking about the old Remington 600/660 carbines, which in the late 60s became the prototype for Cooper's Scout rifle.
Here is an article written by cooper on 1966 on carbines, where he talks about the model, among others, before the "Scout rifle" was a thing.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/historica...ne-compromise/

Okay, thanks for clarifying his comment and posting that link. Now I do recall that Cooper article. It was also reprinted somewhere else later on, as I recall.

Last edited:
I've got a t53 Chinese mosin nagant. It pretty much functions as a scout rifle for me. My issue with it is it's incredibly loud on the user end. The 7.62x54r is a bit too big, at least for anything I need in west Michigan. I do bring it with me when I set up camp up north in bear country.

thanks and more

Emcon, thanks for that posting of the 1966 Cooper article. I have page one, with the photo, clipped from a vintage magazine, in my archives, but I have never read (or seen) the entire article. What a treat to read vintage Cooper. His tone is abrasive to some, but he made people think and his stance and ideas have not gone away. Note that the "scout rifle", thought not necessarily following all his guidelines, is now produced by at least 3 major manufacturers.

Runs with fire, regards that Mosin type carbine. I have socked away a pretty good amount of x54R ammo, corrosive, from when you could get it cheap. Purpose was to feed a PSL, but I have shot a round of it from the semi-rifle. I have been in the market for a beater Mosin(Chineses) carbine, found some that were just too far gone. The Russians I've found are priced way high, and are actually pretty good looking. YOu are on the right track with yours as a knockabout woods rifle. Saw a photo somewhere of one in a rough camp, the guy had left the bayonet on it, and it resided stuck in the ground next to the campfire!!! I'd have to take the bayonet off mine....lighter. An IER scope would be next.

OK, so trying to get back on track. I'm glad Savage is keeping the scout concept alive. And if the new look Savage scout sells, good for them. When they first brought out their original model, I had to have one. Now that I have a history with it, I suppose I won't part with the rifle. Ideally, I'd like to see about an 18" barrel, standard taper, blind magazine, and a re-engineered IER mount. The current one, as on the original, reminds me of a biplane. Ruger has that right with their rendition, and on the Frontier. I don't need the muzzle device either.

Some years ago, there was a Scout-ish rifle kind of making the rounds of the stores here until it got to somebody who knew what it was good for. I am not a hunter so was not seriously interested.

It was a Remington Model 7 .308 with forward mount scope. It lacked the Cooper configuration of clip loading, BUIS, and Ching Sling.
What it did do was make weight*. Cooper wanted the Scout to weigh no more than 3 kilograms, 6.6 pounds.
What it did have was a low scope mount and a high comb such that the rifle came up to aim very smoothly, just as easy as a lever action with iron sights.

It changed hands a lot because it was not well understood. As a hunting rifle as handy as a lever action but more accurate and more powerful, it was great.
But hunkered down on a bench for centerfire plinking, its light weigh and low scope power were liabilities.

*I see that the new iteration of Savage Scout weighs 7.72 lb. That is up in the range of Cooper's Lion Scout. OK, get the Savage in .450 Bush and have at them.

I wouldn't reject any candidate for a Scout simply because some part of it violated the Cooper specs, most especially a few ounces in weight.

You're the one who'll be toting it, he's long gone.
If you're happy, that's the spec that matters.
Denis

Cooper himself addressed the overweight scout, saying that if you wanted a Springfield action, you could not make weight with any usual barrel and stock; but if that was what you liked, fine.

Cooper himself addressed the overweight scout, saying that if you wanted a Springfield action, you could not make weight with any usual barrel and stock; but if that was what you liked, fine.

Interesting, ... because for some years now I've wanted to build a bolt-action Scout off a Springer 1903 or Remy 03A3 action, assuming I could find a suitable 'doner' rifle. Yeah, it would be an '06 chambering rather than a 308, but hey ... :o

I wasn't aware the '03/'03A3 action would disqualify the rifle (even after cutting the barrel back to 18") from 'making weight' under Cooper's criteria. :confused:

I wasn't aware the '03/'03A3 action would disqualify the rifle (even after cutting the barrel back to 18") from 'making weight' under Cooper's criteria.

It wouldn't automatically, I don't think, but the "Holy Grail Weight" of 3 KG (scoped and slung but empty) is really hard to get to, I don't think the Steyr even made it. It it probably possible to make the maximum of 3.5 KG, but it will be close.

There is a lot of things that have been read in to the definition that are not actually there (like the stripper clips loading). It is also worth noting that the definition changed over time. Good discussion of it here:

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=971.0

I am in the process right now of building a Scout on a Mauser action, it is currently 6 lbs 9 oz with sling and scope mount, but no glass or rings yet, and I am still working on the rear sight. The Burris 2-7 Scout scope is listed at 13 oz, so I think I will make it under the max weight.

I wouldn't reject any candidate for a Scout simply because some part of it violated the Cooper specs, most especially a few ounces in weight.

You're the one who'll be toting it, he's long gone.
If you're happy, that's the spec that matters.
Denis
Yep, thanks.

I wasn't aware the '03/'03A3 action would disqualify the rifle (even after cutting the barrel back to 18") from 'making weight' under Cooper's criteria.
It wouldn't automatically, I don't think, but the "Holy Grail Weight" of 3 KG (scoped and slung but empty) is really hard to get to, I don't think the Steyr even made it. It it probably possible to make the maximum of 3.5 KG, but it will be close.

I think you're probably right on the weight issue. But what I like about the base '03/'03A3 action is that it's of military origin and sturdy Mauser lineage, so you could expect it to withstand hard field use (think 'Rough Country' terrain) under a variety of weather conditions.

Yeah, the 1st Generation Steyr Scouts didn't 'make weight,' but as I recall Cooper wasn't too terribly upset over that deficiency because at least some firearms maker had finally taken his Scout ideas (or most of them anyway) and attempted to put them into a commercial product you could handle and test.

The max weight of 3.5kgs = 7.716lbs - and, as you say, that's supposed to be 7.7lbs including with a scope mounted, wearing a sling, but unloaded.

Last edited:
I've got a t53 Chinese mosin nagant. It pretty much functions as a scout rifle for me. My issue with it is it's incredibly loud on the user end. The 7.62x54r is a bit too big, at least for anything I need in west Michigan. I do bring it with me when I set up camp up north in bear country.

There are bears in Russia's Siberian region, so I'd assume the 7.62x54R has taken down more than a few over the decades.

Up in the wilds of Michigan's U.P., the Mosin would make a perfect 'camp rifle' or 'cabin rifle.' Maybe more so if set up in 'Scout' mode and carbine length.

Last edited:
You're the one who'll be toting it, he's long gone. If you're happy, that's the spec that matters.

Well said.

Okay, because I'd forgotten what it weighed, I put the .308 Mini-G Scout - scoped, with sling, and unloaded - on the scale this morning, and the needle stopped right on 9.9lbs. :eek: That's with it wearing an Olongapo stock pack designed to hold two spare en bloc clips, but without said clips in the pouches. The weapon does, however, 'make length,' being 38".

Maybe strange, but it doesn't feel that heavy carrying it.

Last edited:
Back