Savage Model 24

I took a reemer to the choke of my 222/20.

Had a Williams receiver sight on it. Won a few slug matches with it.

David

I had a .22 mag over a .410 for an hour. Dear old Dad brought it home for me, he got it used, and as he and I were looking it over, a friend of my father stopped by with a new in the box Model 94 in .30-30. Guy said he would trade straight up, and my father said yes quicker than I could.

Still have that Model 94 (circa 1965 or 66), took a number of deer with it and will be buried with it (not really!). About a year ago, I picked up a Savage Model 24 in .22 over .410, just because I wanted it. I don't hunt any more, but I still shoot and the Savage shoulders well (and shoots not quite so well, but I like it!).

Over the years i've owned several Savage over/under combination guns. The early models are light weight and very handy. The last model, the 24F, is very heavy, ungainly and came with a very long buttstock.

Looks like most of the Savage 24s were 22LR or 22Mag over a 410 or 20ga. There were some later ones made with 12 ga barrels. And some of the later ones were made with 17HMR, 22 Hornet, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, , 30-30 Winchester, .357 Mag, or .357 Max. barrels on top. I didn't see any 24s made in 308 Winchester.

Savage did import a couple of combination models with 308 Winchester barrels (a model 389 made in Italy and a model 2400 made by Valmet in Finland, I think). They both had the shotgun barrel on top and looked much like a typical over-under shotgun.

I had one years ago. Bought it brand new in Montana then traded it off on something and about 15yrs later bought the same exact gun in a second hand store in Colorado! It was a shock but I checked the serial number and it was the same gun! My idea was it would make a good rabbit gun but I never did use it as that. It was a 22mag/20ga.

As a kid, I always wanted one of those in a 12 gauge/.22LR.
I have never heard or seen that combination.
I grew up in Ohio and centerfire rifles were not legal for deer hunting and were overkill for small game. So, I wanted a .22LR. Not to mention that I was a kid and couldn't afford to buy centerfire rifle ammo.
The 12 gauge was just because every other shotgun we had was 12 gauge and I didn't see any reason to get something else. But, I must of been in a minority.

I wouldn't buy one today but as a kid, that was definitely high on my list.

Back