Savage Model 111 30-06 good for long range?

Well thank you. Much appreciated.

I think that is what these should be all about, give your best information from your view, support it and the OP gets to pick what seems to work for them.

In this case as much as I love my 30-06, and hope to shoot a 1000 with it someday, its not the best cartridge for that and while we can discuss which one is, the 6.5 Creed is certainly up in the top 3 to 5 in my view and I think for the OP.

Low kick, great characteristics , accurate.

And if any single contributors information does not take, then its a contrast to what does not seem to work and helps us muddle through decisions.

Not only nothing wrong with opposing vies, its right there should be. No single solution for all by any means.

Going off track a bit:

I have gotten some dings from the Moderators on this forum, they were deserved and I had gotten out of line. Sure I got carried away but the ding was presented straight forward, nothing derogatory, simply stated what the issue was and the penalty. Fair enough.

I got kicked off Savage Shooters for trying to give honest and supported information about a bad vendor. PM was to the moderator and was taken as a challenge to Authority. Hmmm, not public, private.

This forum is handled the way it should be and I want to thank them.

Ha, I got kicked off Savage too. Little to blunt with a bull -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- moderator! Can't remember his name but he spent quite a while getting under my skin before I got un-glued!

OP has not wegithed back in so will do a side comment.

Ha, I got kicked off Savage too. Little to blunt with a bull -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- moderator! Can't remember his name but he spent quite a while getting under my skin before I got un-glued!

Yea they have a group over there that jumps to defend a barrel maker (well sometimes he makes barrels apparently ) that does not deliver (Apache)

Savage Shooters is Run and owned by a guy named Jim Baker aka Mr. Furious (considering the temper tantrums that's pretty accurate though he writes some very good reports, head scratcher on that one)

Two guys at least jump in anytime anyone asks about a pre fit Savage Barrel and laud Apache to the stars. Then a guy writes in, I haven't heard from Apache and cant contact him (fill in the blank- 2, 3, 6, months, over a year etc. )

Vendor bashing is taken as factually telling people that the supplier does not always deliver. Those in extremis get ghosted. If you are on his A list you get your barrel I gather (or so they say)

On the other hand, singing hosannas to the sky is allowed?

What I call a logic bust.

As my brother pointed out, there are gobs of really good barrel makers out there - why would you deal with a unreliable individual ?

Oh, he had some serious personal problems? Really? Now that is a shame, but who doesn't? Not to mention he was very unreliable before. And if I want to give to a charity I have a lot close to home I know deserve it.

Oh, he hasn't delivered the guys barrel but is advertising as taking orders and ships in 5 days.

Pretty amazing.

Before everyone gets totally wrapped around an axle here, realize the OP hasn't been back to chime in on this thread in several days.

Things we know about this thread:

OP has a Savage 111 Hunter XP package with 3-9X40 Nikon scope, that its main function is used for hunting.
OP is shooting at 200 yards.
OP wants to shoot 500 yards.
OP says ammo is expensive.
OP doesn't reload for this rifle because he doesn't have a tumbler either wet or dry.

What we don't know:

OP skill level with rifles.
OP group size at 100 and 200 yards with current set up.
What OP is using for targets or what his goals are for shooting at 500 yards, if he wants to get into competition or just extend his hunting ranges.

What I do know is that the OP has everything he needs to learn the fundamentals of shooting to 500 yards with what he currently owns. He doesn't need anything new or expensive to start shooting out that far, all he needs is time behind the trigger. His money would be better spent on ammunition or equipment to reload than to go out and buy a new rifle and scope.

If his Savage is currently shooting MOA or less with its favorite load, then his rifle has the ability to hit MOA sized targets at 500 yards. If it's shooting 2 MOA the he can hit targets of that size at 500 yards. Now will he get 5-10 shots into a target that size in rapid succession, probably not. However, if he can place a cold bore or warm bore shot into that size target at 500 yards on a regular basis that is pretty good shooting with a hunting rifle!

RC20 said:
I can mortar in a 30-30 at 500 yards, that's not target shooting and that is not accuracy.

It is if you're hitting the target you are aiming at. Say your .30-30 is a consistent 2 MOA rifle and you are consistently ringing a 10X10 steel plate at 500 yards with it, how is that not accurate or target shooting? I think we are forgetting that target shooting doesn't have to be some form of sanctioned discipline, it can be anything we want it to be.

Last edited:
Again you have all you need to get started long range shooting. Your rifle doesn't need a new barrel or scope to be effective at hitting a target at 500 yards. Tumblers are cheap, but I only clean cases when they get really tarnished other than that it's just the primer pockets.

Start small go to 200-300 yards first, when that becomes easy move out further. You don't need to pay for training, join a club or get involved with any competitions though none of those are bad suggestions. Also shooting a .22 LR out to 100+ yards is great practice for moving your .30-06 out to 500+.

Only upgrade your equipment when you skill level is better than your tools. Too many times people try to buy skill, I've been guilty of that myself. The best way to improve skill is time behind the trigger.

I can’t agree more well said ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really apologize for not getting back sooner. Did not mean to create a post and have everyone reply to my questions and just leave you guys hanging.

I really appreciate the help everyone has been providing me. There are always a few people who I see a lot who also help others and definitely don't want to deter them from helping me or the people who have replied or may reply as well. My sincere apologies.

As a beginner shooter which really started this year, I have been overwhelmed in a good sense with a lot of information about firearms and I know there will be more on its way that I haven't even come close to absorb. As many mentioned, I will only know with time and by getting behind the trigger. I still have a long way to go, this I know.

One thing is for sure, I have to know my guns much better as this can be done through time. I obviously didn't know the 111 was considered a thin barrel as RC mentioned and as he mentioned I have to wait a few minutes in between shots for it to cool down for stability purposes. Perhaps if I had done real research about the rifle, perhaps I might have opted for something different/better than this rifle. But not a big deal, learn and live. I still Honestly as mentioned before my intention is for hunting and since I don't have any other rifle, I wanted to use it for target.

I mentioned bullets not being cheap, didn't suggest I was expecting on getting ammo for pennies per round. Just that when I bought my first firearm, it was mostly for once a month or two. But I quickly enjoyed it and wanted to do it more. This is where I wasn't prepare for, wanting to go more. Eventually money spent on ammo adds up. Now I have a total of 7 and want to add more. Lol.

Also, I began buying reloading equipment in the past couple of months to save on ammo cost (if possible as I know this is a perception/goal about getting a press in the first place but not the only reason) and to shoot more and as RC also mentioned on a previous post of mine about expenses on reloading equipment, I have been spending quite a few dollars already. Still needing Tumbler, which hopefully get soon and powder. Which is better IMR 4064, IMR 4350 or Alliant RL17? Is there a low/cheap brand powder vs a good/expensive brand powder? Just a curious question? If a dumb question, please let me know.

My skills are poor, well not that bad but as said I am a beginner shooter. Have to be realistic about my shooting skills. I don't get much time as I would like to behind my rifle as when I go to the range as I always have my kids with me (they like going also), or other family members. I get a enjoyment of showing them what I know and obviously to ensure they don't do anything that will cause harm to themselves or others or simply to not have other shooters get annoyed by my group. I take it serious as it should be and just want to know how to properly handle a firearm right so I can show my kids or whoever is with me. Plus by the time I get to shoot my rifle, I feel hurried as by this time we have already spent at least 3-4 hours and my kids are ready to go home. I don't know my group size as at the level I am at, I am satisfied with being within the center of the target (red are on the target link below). Hopefully I just didn't make myself look bad with this comment. I moved up to 200 as at the 100 I was staying within the center. Hope this didn't make it worse. Lol. Not sure if this method is simply a no no for any beginner or simply not done. This was based on a box of 20 every trip to the range. I can honestly say 85% of my shots were within the center area I was aiming for. If I ever do much longer distance, even hitting a steel plate and hearing it will be satisfactory for me. Eventually as anybody down the road, I would like to be more accurate/precise. This is the target I use now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZ3IY5W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I said a sniper, I was just trying to avoid anyone coming in and saying to be truly a "sniper you have..." or "your not a sniper becuase..". Of course I want to be accurate/precise and eventually one day go long range for hunting. But for now and being realistic, won't happen anytime soon. Guess will have to worry about that when the time comes for it.

Again, thank you guys for the help. Much appreciated.

If you don't have it yet, one of the first things I would buy is one of the reloading books on how to. ABCs has been mentioned, I have an old one, not sure on the new.

The other would be Sierra Manual or Hornady. Both have lots of powders listed for most cartridges and usually many bullets you can reference to.

Even a Hornady 9 (10 is the latest) is a good one and can be had at low prices.

All powders are about the same price with R17 in 5 lb maybe being lowest cost.

None you listed is better or worse than any other. It what the gun and bullet combo likes. The ones listed are all good ones. 4064 is the one I have the least background with, it is a good 308 powder for sure, I think 30-06 in the Garands? Pretty sure its a 30-06 ok.

Otherwise is like gasoline. All the same except VNTH power which is like premium fuel and the price to go with it.

Nothing wrong with your post.

You are starting in without a basis of background. I grew up with it and I still under went a steep learning curve when it got to accurate target shooting.

Having a family and working around that is also a big factor.

That is still the most important thing, you can put along with shooting until the kids are on their own then go big time

You an never get back time not spent with the family and understanding there is always a balance there where time for you as well.

RC20, is there another rifle that is better than the one you provided (you mentioned that rifle being a great starter) if I am able to spend another $200 or a step up from that if there is such a thing. I did see the original price is $419 then you get $100 back.

Actually when I shoot my rifle, I do have the recoil in mind with every trigger pull. Which is why I never take more than a box at a time. Not saying I am getting use to it but more like living to deal with it. So wouldn't mine on getting a rifle with a 6.5 Creed as you also mention has less recoil plus if better for what I am wanting to use it for. Is there reading material anyone recommends for reading on this caliber or try to get familiar with? I do not have friends who own guns let alone family so it is difficult to ask around someone who has a 6.5 Creed rifle for me to try. Guess have to see if a gun range near me does have one just to try.

Actually when I shoot my rifle, I do have the recoil in mind with every trigger pull. Which is why I never take more than a box at a time. Not saying I am getting use to it but more like living to deal with it. So wouldn't mine on getting a rifle with a 6.5 Creed as you also mention has less recoil plus if better for what I am wanting to use it for.

You have Cabela's near you? This is an easy button:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo.../savage-fv-varmint-rifle/1994604.uts?slotId=3

6.5 CM is milder recoiling than .30-06, plus a varmint weight rifle with a heavier barrel will weigh more, the combination makes it much more mild to shoot.

I like H4895 or IMR4895 for the 30-06. I would also stay with 165 or 180 grain bullets. I have found them to generally be more accurate in 1:10 twist 30 cal barrels.

RC20, is there another rifle that is better than the one you provided (you mentioned that rifle being a great starter) if I am able to spend another $200 or a step up from that if there is such a thing. I did see the original price is $419 then you get $100 back.

The step up is steeper than that. If you are going to go long, then this would be a first choice, I would guess $1000 or so at normal prices.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRP

It has a good stock and it has the even better Target Acu Trigger (red blade) vs the Varmint acu trigger. Purely a bench rest gun.

Nothing wrong with being recoil sensitive. Sooner or latter everyone is. I shot 30-06/7mm all my life.

When I got down to the range, at the end of the day I am hunching up and I have 1 inch pad and usually a coast or several on.

And the key is that you have to shoot a lot to get good. I don't shoot every day like a pro does. I still get hunnchy.

I could probably shoot 10 or 15 375 HH, but that would be the limit.

I sure never target shot my 7mm. A few rounds to sight in or confirm and that was it.

This is not a bad setup, but its still $850 or so.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PREDATORHUNTERMAX1

The reason I recommend the 12FV is that you can add a Boyds stock, and that matches most of those guns.

The Varmint Thumb Hole or the Prairie hunter laminates (grip choice) are under $150.

Mine? I wanted to try a barrel change, XC, never shot better than the Savage barrel.

I added the stocks and that was a big help in my calibers.

That setup is more than good enough to get you into completion.

Savage has a team that competes in matches against the best and they are in the top 10 doing so. Available rifles off their production line.

My stuff can shoot better than I can.

And that's what you want.

As low a cost setup that can shoot better than you can for a long time.

That gets you that, easy to improve with a better stock that takes little fitting and you can do a barrel change as low cost as possible when the time comes.

Other than Remington, there are no pre fits and you still need a gun smith to get the Remington barrel OFF. On you can do yourself as its converted to a Savage like setup with the nut.

Then its no questions where the improvements lie.

Having been at this hard (I shoot 45 times a years (as many weekends as I can mange) for 8 hours)

With other guns I had no clue as to why I could shoot good one week and off the next.

One reason I have 3, it provides a cross check. Keeping in mind I do handloads and a change of powder can take you off a good but pointy sweet spot)

Same ammo, same temps, I wind up with 3/4 inch groups and the next weekend I am flitting with 1/4. Yep, the shooter.

And you don't know if you are a hard working typical or a David Tubbs until you get well into it. He had to shoot a lot before he found out to!

I feel like I'm pounding my head against a wall, but you don't need a new rifle!

A $1000 rifle at your skill level isn't going to do much good. If you must buy a new rifle invest in an adult sized .22 LR or air rifle and practice fundamentals. An air rifle might be more practical depending on where you live especially since you can buy a pellet trap and shoot in your back yard, basement, or garage when you get a bit of free time.

If recoil is bothering you then there are things you can do to mitigate the problem. First option would be a recoil pad like a PAST shooting shield, trust me they work very well. The second option would be a muzzle brake, but people either love or hate them but they are effective in reducing recoil. I wouldn't lreoad or purchase any reduced loads as they won't help when you start extending your shooting ranges.

I understand the issues you have with your family at the range, I've been there. I had to have a talk with my wife and daughter about how I needed to go to the range sometimes by myself especially when doing load development or longer range work. I usually scheduled my range tme when they were doing their spa day, shopping, or out with girl friends. I also spent a lot of days at the range never firing a shot, just keeping the wife and daughter happily shooting zombie targets by loading magazines. You have to find a balance with your family, as your skills can't improve if you can't dedicate time to it.

Get some different targets, the targets you are shooting are fine for general range purposes, and would probably work well at longer ranges. For better accuracy get a target with smaller aiming points, I like the Champion Score Keeper AC-3 for sight in out to 300 yards. Beyond 300 yards I usually stick to steel targets as I get instant feedback if it is a hit or not. I also use a lot of 1-3" target stickers on cardboard for targets, but I feel the smaller the aiming point the better.

^^ This 100%. Learn good fundamentals and practice them. Everyone I know that I consider a good shooter ("hard holder") can shoot any gun you put in their hands equally as well. It's not the arrow - it's the indian.

I feel like I'm pounding my head against a wall, but you don't need a new rifle!

Me too!

The OP is not you and I am not you. I think my learning curve is a lot closer to the OP than you are.

While I had a lot more gun experience than the OP, I did not have more TARGET experience.

So, when you need a Cray Supper computer to tell you where to aim as you now hot pencil barrel is jumping all over the place (assuming it is consistent in its inconsistencies ) and while you are doing that, try to figure out your technique in trigger, hold, bag setup etc?

And you are new at this?

Nope, get equipment that is better than you so you can concentrate on getting getter knowing its you if its not sub MOA.

And while I do like 22 shooting, the recoil is not the same and it takes a good accurate one to see if you can improve your shooting techniques (and the setup is likely different unless you have a co matching one like a Savage)

A Savage 111 30-06 is a good hunting gun. Its not a good leaning gun for Target work.

I shot it with the Pencil barrel while waiting for the Bull Shilen. Ok 1.5 inch average but not a good target and as it got hot it got wild.

I sure did not have the time nor the patience to map its oddity.

The Shilen settled down to a sub 3/4 MOA and shoots 1/4 if I can.

I can focus on getting max out of trigger time.

There is a reason why varmint guns have Varmint (heavy barrel) contours and bench rest guns have bull barrels.

Its called consistency and few limits on round shot vs wait periods.

Mine shoot solid from cold to hot.

Pencil barrel may shoot 3 ok, then the fun begins, and I do not like sitting for 3 minute to cool down or link up to the UAA Cray.

RC20 said:
The OP is not you and I am not you. I think my learning curve is a lot closer to the OP than you are.

I don't think you actually are, I think you're projecting what you believe to be target shooting onto the OP. The OP was so vague in his first post that it is impossible to even understand what he was meaning when he said target shooting. His second post didn't even clear much up until his last paragraph.

ninosdemente said:
Of course I want to be accurate/precise and eventually one day go long range for hunting.

Besides the comment of being able to shoot 500 in his first post we had no clue as to what his goals were. You just started filling in a whole lot of blanks based off the type of shooting you prefer to do. I'm not saying your info was wrong, I'm just saying no one had a clue as to what the OP really wanted to do.

My final words of advice to the OP is crawl, walk, then run, your equipment is good enough to get you deep into the walk phase. Get intimate with your rifle, learn it inside and out. Record every shot on your quest to 500 yards in a notebook and study it, save your targets and study your groups.

If recoil is an issue, buy a PAST pad and practice dry fire drills until it isn't an issue anymore. If you really want to buy another rifle buy it, but not if you can't afford to shoot it because you blew all your money on the rifle and optics. Remember good ammunition factory or hand loads coupled with trigger time will get you consistent at the ranges you want to shoot better than anything else you can buy.

Good Luck!

Taylorce1, yes I agree that one has to crawl, walk and run. Which is why I also come here to get information/knowledge from people who have 1st hand experience and who are willing to pass what they know or provide guidance/advise that may help me or others as well. Which I definitely am grateful to everyone who replied.

Just like you mentioned about Past pad, I had no idea that kind of tool exist and I can't imagine what other types of tools are out there in the market. Believe me, I never get firearms that are not within my reach but getting more is always in my mind. Even like the one RC20 suggested looks interesting but would need to know what I can about it before jumping into that one or any other one. Perhaps my problem is I am just trying to cram/learn as much as I can when I should just take time as mentioned. Just have to learn the basics/fundamentals, put it to use and go from there.

Thanks guys again.

Back