Savage model 10 vs Savage Axis II Xp

I agree that 243 or 308 would be a better general purpose caliber. With a budget of 800 if you shop smart and don't need top of the line you could put together a hunting rifle in the above calibers or something similar, and set up a 22 for practicing.

A good point was raised above about the cost of 223 practice ammo vs 223 hunting ammo, something to consider.

If you go with a 308 you can at least get FMJ ammo which tends to be cheaper 60 cents or so.

I have a marlin 22 bolt action they run around 160 new and i threw an old redfield scope on it. If you shop used and get an old redfield or weaver thats 200 leaving you 6 to put together a hunting rifle. Grab an axis or similar class rifle for 3 or so and put the rest into a redfield revolution, nikon prostaff, or various leupolds available.

What will be a .223 Hunting Round so I can look it up, also what will be a good .308 hunting round to compare them. Because the difference in prices where I search for ammo is .223 for $0.23 and for the .308 is $0.40 is not that big of a deal.

But also with the rifle I buy it will be great if I could take coyotes as well. I read that with a .308 you will probably make a huge whole in a coyote, that meaning no able to sell the fur.

probably all this means, that I will have to purchase 2 Rifles. One .223 for small game and .308 for bigger game.

I wanted to find a middle in between then and be able to buy just 1 rifle good for both.

Last edited:
What will be a .223 Hunting Round so I can look it up.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/89...remington-60-grain-nosler-partition-box-of-20

$23.99 · Out of stock
Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 223 Remington 60 Grain Nosler Partition Box of 20 Product

When you look at 223 and 308 those cheap prices are usually foreign miltary surplus FMJ's that can't be reloaded and aren't suitable for most hunting

A 223 needs the very best bullets and near perfect shot placement to work well

Last edited:
Plain ol Federal blue box runs around 20 dollars a box normally for 308, 243 etc.

What I suggested could also be done with a 243 or 270 or 7mm-08 or any number of general cartridges.

I also don't do much if any hunting but I would think that if you get a light load for the 308 you could probably use it on coyotes. Hogs too

Cz also makes a bolt action in 7.62x39. Would let you use all the various cheap military loads but grab some hunting ammo as well. That's worth looking into and CZ rifles are top notch quality

I own both the Savage Axis in .223 and as 11xp trophy in .308 win. The axis is a good rifle for what I paid for it ($260 OTD ob sale at Dick's). It is accurate with my handloads and the factory 55gn ammunition I have run through it. Most everything between 55 and 64 grains has held MOA our to about 300 yards. The 1/9 twist barrel was a big selling point for me. It is good for what I bought it for, a youth rifle for my 7 and 12 year old boys. The knocks are that the action is rough and the bolt is stiff. They are also all long actions.

The 11 trophy is a good deal as well. For infer $500 I got a decent scope with the rifle (Nikon Prostaff) and I feel the upgraded features are well worth the money. The accutrigger is nice and the bolt is smooth as glass. i also prefer the short action on the cartridge. The Axis is bulky for what it is. Accuracy has averaged around 1.5MOA out to 300 yards and the rifle is picky about ammo. It loves longer bullets with the 1/10 twist. 168gn and 190gn Bergers being two of its favorites.

Personally if I was going to hunt with this rifle I would get at least a .243. There is nothing wrong with the .223 it just isn't forgiving on shooter mistakes. And if you can afford the 10/11 series they are worth the extra money

Back