Savage model 10 vs Savage Axis II Xp

syonyc

Inactive
Hi,

I'm new at rifles and I was wondering, what will be a good .223 bolt action rifle for hunting? Axis or Model 10.

Or anything better. My Budget is $800

Also, what is the difference between brass rounds and steel?

Thanks

The Axis is the bottom line from Savage. I don't care for them because of looks and the fact that you can only "cheapen" something so far before actual performance is compromised. I'm sure someone will come along and relate his positive experience with the Axis(and I'm happy for him if he's satisfied). At one time, the entire line from Savage was considered "second rate" but fact has overcome rumor and many have found the Savage 110/10 rifles to be adequate or superior to other options. I own and shoot several Savage 110 series and like the option of swapping barrels if I want vs. Remington, Howa, Winchester.
Choosing the Axis would have to be my only option and your price point leaves several others.

With that kind of budget there are a plethora of options you could consider.

I have an axis, an early one when they were still the edge. I've dolled it up with a boyds stock new trigger etc but really only because it was my first and I'm sentimental towards it.

The performance has certainly been great but as pointed out above it's still a bottom line budget rifle. My biggest complaint being the magazine specifically the plastic tab that holds it in (which seems to be standard on newer savage rifles) I've never had an issue with it falling out, tho it does take a hard slap to lock it in sometimes and I just don't like the little flexible plastic tab...

If you wanted to do any kind of customizing beyond a new stock (only boyds is available as far as i know) and trigger I'd say get a 10 as there is much more after market support for them.

You could also look at the TC Venture, various Rem 700, Howa, Winchester and CZ and still have money left over for your glass and rings. Or come in under budget and have money for ammo and other add ons like a good sling.

Did you have a scope or anything in mind beyond just the rifle yet?

Steel cased is usually cheaper and dirtier and less accurate by nature of its cheapened manufacturing. You also can't reload steel cases. Some folk will say you shouldn't use steel case out of a semi auto not designed for it i.e. non-Russian, but bolt actions tend not to care what you use. I shot a lot of steel cased when I was first learning to shoot to get down the basics without spending a lot.

Syonyc, welcome to TFL!

I do not own any Savages (yet), so I won't address those.

However, steel vs brass "rounds" I can clarify for you. The cartridge case that most manufacturers use are made out of brass. As long as it is boxer primed, brass cases are easily reloaded. However, brass is more expensive than steel.

Some manufacturers, and especially some Russian-made ammo, uses steel cases to reduce cost. Steel is harder than brass, leading to come concern over damage to firearms when shooting this ammo. I have yet to hear or see first hand any damage caused by steel cases.

In order to further reduce costs, some of these same manufacturers who produce steel cased ammo also use cheaper powders that leave more residue. Hence, you will hear a lot of reports of rifles being more dirty after firing this ammo. An important note is that steel cases are not reloadable.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

You say you want a 223 "for hunting"

I hope you're talking about fairly small animals

Reality is all the major brands are capable of sub-MOA groups once you find the right ammo

Buy a gun that fits you , and feels good, and don't get caught up with the brand name hype, because everyone will just recommend their personal favorites

There are plenty of nice used guns set up and ready to shoot, so take your time, handle as many as you can, and just pick one that feels right

The 223 loaded with big game bullets is more than adequate for deer size game at reasonable ranges. Stay away from varmint bullets and FMJ practice rounds when hunting deer and it'll be fine.

With an $800 budget I'd not even consider the Axis. They are bottom end rifles. Not that they don't shoot well, but you can do better.

"The 223 loaded with big game bullets is more than adequate for deer size game at reasonable ranges"
As usual, I challenge that statement. Yes, the.223 will kill a deer but the energy is near the bottom of the ethical threshold in my opinion. Using the.223, I've killed and seen killed about 40 deer but I still say it's barely "acceptable"( I won't use the term adequate).
As for recommendations, I have to say the Howa/Wby Vanguard line has shown universally excellent accuracy with varmint weight bullets. Consistent sub-MOA with several brands/types of bullets in the 40-55 grain range. Well built, attractive, accurate, and economical--all the things I look for in a rifle.

I always love the axis-bashing threads. Good thing my axis 308 can't read. lol

Out of the box it's true it's not super accurate--but with a little time and some epoxy it can be made into a real shooter. Heck, you even get the accutrigger with the axis 2. To the best of my knowledge, Savage does not have separate barrel making machines for the Axis line--you are still getting their superb button-rifled barrels.

Here's a resource for many home-mods you can do to make an axis into a marvelous shooter:
http://www.savageshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?104-Axis-Bolt-Action-Rifles& I have about $325 sunk into the gun that made that group above--excluding the scope. And, I've bashed the thing to heck and back in the woods-- and never gave it a second thought.

Last edited:
Very interesting, enlightening and applicable article there Saltydog235.

With your budget of $800 you should be able to easily obtain a quality hunting rifle be it new or used. Savage has made some great improvements over the years in the quality of their guns and their Accu-trigger is hard to beat. That being said, their Axis models do not offer the Accu-trigger system. I am not saying that Savage is the only rifle to consider but a 10/110 or 16/116 will be my next rifle purchase.

Thank you for the correction, You are correct, I got to thinking about that soon after I posted my reply. As I was typing I was only thinking about the Savage Axis, not the Axis II.

No biggie--I really don't care whether people like em or not--I just have found them to be a great way for people on a budget to get a great shooting rifle if they are willing to do a little work.

I have several weapons that are regularly ripped on the net--but if they shoot great for me--so what? : )

The 223 loaded with big game bullets is more than adequate for deer size game at reasonable ranges.
And it's still at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to choosing a good deer cartridge

So my reason why I want a .223 is because I'm moving to Florida and it is legal to hunt deer with that caliber and is cheap and i can hunt wild hog and coyotes. in a few words it will be my rifle for everything.

So, i don't know what rifle will be a good option.

while the axis isnt very sexy they are shooters. if you want a dual purpose rifle have you considered a 243?

I haven't, but comparing prices in rounds 223 is 0.20/r and 243 is 0.70/r.

I want something that is cheap to shoot and good to hunt as well.

Thats why I'm willing to put some extra bucks down for a fine firearm

I want something that is cheap to shoot and good to hunt as well.

Thats why I'm willing to put some extra bucks down for a fine firearm
You'll get better perfomance on game from a larger caliber

I feel certain your price comparisons were the cheapest 223, which is normally FMJ (not hunting rounds) and a softpoint in 243 (an actual hunting round)

To use a 223 for deer and hogs you need heavy premium bullets which are going to be more expensive than cheap practice ammo

Back